Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Preschool themes and topics > Festivals, Faith and days of celebration > Easter

Easter activity ideas to enjoy this religious and secular event

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 03-16-2007, 03:39 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Notebook Easter Bonnet ideas

Decoration ideas:

foam/ fabric flowers; rabbits; lambs; eggs; drawn flowers; 'jewels'; ribbon; buttons; cut out flower pictures; pressed flowers; dried flowers; feathers; sequins; green wool/ shredded tissue (grass); bows; felt shapes; leaves; cotton wool....

Straw hat search on Amazon See which designs you can invent to add a touch of individuality ..
NB: Link is in association with Silkysteps amazon affiliate account

Fleece hat pattern book

and a story book search for Spring
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I've just been thinking these up, so they should work in theory.....:blush: fingers crossed - I'll give them a go at the weekend, and if any of you can suggest more or any changes - fab!!!!

Mini Easter bonnet:

Use a plastic disk or similar that paper mache will lift easily from. Cut out the cup from an egg carton and place in the middle of the plate, apply glue to 'cup' and lay a large sheet of tissue over, pushing it down so it sticks to the cup and starts to form a brim. Keep layering tissue or newspaper until it is sturdy enough not to crumple. Trim and paint then decorate the band area. Et voila...a mini bonnet.

Wearable Easter bonnet:

Cut a large circle of paper or felt. If using paper, crumple it and smooth it out until it is softened, if using felt have spray starch ready. Place the paper/felt over the child's head and shape over the crown. Wind tape round and round to hold the shape. Remove from head. If using felt, place on a flat surface and spray liberally with spray starch and allow to dry - remember ventilation rules! Now decorate and have a parade!

Easter Bandana + yellow eye patches - Role play as Pirate egg/chocolate token hunters

Spring Bunny's construction workers - yellow hard/paper hat or bonnet with diggers and bulldozers glued on - Role play path clearing, great if any chocolate hide & find games are planned using hedgerows, sand or soil areas.

Easter crown:
OK, not technically a bonnet, but still headwear!! Simply make a crown by wrapping precut card (pointy crown shape) around the head and taping together. Decorate.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chelltune is on a distinguished road

Just bumping this thread up as I need some ideas. I'd like something inventive that my son can make.

*update, I've been instructed to help make a hat with a nest complete with real twigs!

I wanted to make a a cap covered with sultanas to look like a hot cross bun but I'm not allowed.
Unread 03-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Jayne

We will be making mini baskets on Monday, just the right size for a cream egg to fit in. We are doing a basic circle for the bottom and a band around the side (decorated first) then a handle. We are going to fill up the center with shredded paper and coloured tissue paper to put the egg into.

I know it's not a bonnet, but the boys didn't want to do that, they said it was girly....lol

Jayne
Unread 03-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Default Easter bonnets for boys

It is the time of year again has anyone found any designs that boys in particular have enjoyed getting involved with?
the cost of ad blockers

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 03-17-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Unread 03-27-2009, 11:19 PM

Chelltune is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthierhyme View Post
It is the time of year again .....
I came on to look for ideas and see I posted the same thing last year. :laughing:

DS actually won the comp last year. All we did was make a band/crown type shape from a cereal packet which we covered with pastel coloured tissue paper. We then stuck on some eggs (again cereal packet/tissue paper) and some Easter confetti shapes from ELC. I was mortified when we walked into the class, all the other children's has looked perfect, his was very child like as he had done most of the work. :laughing:
Unread 04-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

FARLEYS is on a distinguished road

the children at nursery made a crown style shape but turned it into the easter bunny with big floppy ears and a fluffy tail
Unread 04-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

rosieg is on a distinguished road

One of our lovely children made an easter crown with willow. She bent the willow into a circle the size of the childs head, and then threaded ivy and flowers into the willow. It looked very pretty.
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:55 PM

SomeoneSpecial is on a distinguished road

we made easter bonnet biscuits, digestive with a veggie marshmallow in middle, icing and decorations and those edible bead thingys all the children really enjoyed it
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

A few other ideas for this year's springtime event

Spring themed storybooks

Free spring activities - this is a resource list of all spring related ideas on silkysteps

Spring themed printables to buy & download from the store

Milliners - support budding hat makers with a role play design studio in their role play areas - google search for millinery shop

Face outline: prompt children's own face drawing and hat collages

on amazon:

For partnerships that know they have sewing machine enthusiasts on board this felt hat book can boost a setting's role play resources - 25 easy to sew projects to fit with the traditions surrounding seasonal eggs, maybe adadpt to creatures that hatch ..

Where hats will be used with less adult supervision ask if the tie lengths can be omitted from the finished design.
the cost of ad blockers