Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 08-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

nackzucow is on a distinguished road
Default unit 203 1.1 describe how to establish respectful, professional relationships

this could come under level 2 nvq, CCDL 201 or SWis 2.2.

I am struggling with this unit: The first question is the following -

describe how to establish respectful, professional relationships with children and young people

As anybody got any ideas, what do I need to write?

please help me!

Thanks in advance

PDF - supporting positive relationships

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

moodie is on a distinguished road

Hi, this is what i have wrote so far, i am on this unit aswel so maybe we can help each other. i have also put what i have wrote for 2.2 aswel, hope this helps. moodie

When your in a discussion with an adult it is fair to say everyone will have different views, some adults expect you to have the same views as themselves, your not always going to agree on matters, as long as you show mutual respect and be professional the best way to get over this is to communicate effectively and respect each others views, as long as you are able to support other adults then you are on the right path, when the compromise has been met you can for example ;

 Show you're approachable
 Demonstrate positive behaviour
 Give support as and when it is required
 Demonstrate your listening skills
 Show commitment
 Show respect
 Don’t gossip about work colleagues
 Respond politely

When we are communicating with adults it is important to address them by their preferred title this in turn is showing respect, for example ;
 Mrs Haribo
or
 Marcia
With adults you are communicating with you can use more complex language, (whereas children you have to keep it clear and to the point so they understand what you are talking about) it is important for them to feel comfortable with you, especially since you are going to be working closely with them in the classroom, you have to show them
 That you area a careing individual
 Respect their wishes in the setting
 Communicate politely and courteously
 Give them all the support they need
 Listen to their views
 Ask questions on a need to know basis
 Always try to handle disagreements with adults in a way that will maintain a positive relationship
This will make it easier to work in a team and therefore less likely to cause friction in the setting, this will also make you a good role model for children aswell as the adults

================================================== ===================
If you're a student and reading this post kindly submitted by a silkysteps forum member
Do not copy and paste it.
AVOID PLAGIARISM

Read it only, inform your knowledge and find links to creditable sources that you can quote.
Then write from your own perspective using your own words to reflect professional practice & research
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:45 PM

this is so far what i have for 1.1

It is essential that teachers establish positive relationships with all children. You can establish respectful professional relationships with children and young people by doing the following:

• Give children the opportunity to put forward their ideas and provide children with opportunities to express themselves in their own time and using their own words – give children thinking time and talking partner’s time.
• Give children your full attention when listening to them; this can be achieved through body language, facial expression, speech and gesture. Listening to children is key to establishing a positive relationship; it is essential that teachers listen to children and then respond appropriately, these skills can be modelled to children through speaking and listening.
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:02 AM

How are you doing with the rest of unit 203? i am now on outcome 4, data protection etc, that is a little bit harder, i have registered on cyberessays, it is fab if you need some pointers, feel free if you need any help.

Moodie
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:09 PM

Default outcome 4 please help

Thank you so much moodie you have been such a great help!
I don't know where to start on outcome 4. Do we need to talk about data protection acts and where do we find out about legal requirements? What is this cyber essays?
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nackzucow View Post
Thank you so much moodie you have been such a great help!
I don't know where to start on outcome 4. Do we need to talk about data protection acts and where do we find out about legal requirements? What is this cyber essays?
This is what i have got for the whole of outcome 4, i was so fed up i have emailed it to my assessor now, so if i need anymore pointers she can help me lol.

It is really important for adults working with children/young people to at least know the legislations and policies, again, this has come more apparent since the awful abuse of poor victoria climbie who suffered at the hands of her so called auntie who was supposed to be keeping her safe and cared for.
The school has a Confidentiality Policy, which all staff needs to be aware of, this sets out the school’s aims and objectives relating confidentiality and gives guidelines on how to handle confidential information. The Data Protection Act 1998 states that any organisation holding confidential information should be registered with the Data Protection Commission. The Act gives eight principles of practice that govern the use of personal information. Such information must be:-
 processed fairly and lawfully
 processed for a limited process
 only used for the purpose for which was gathered
 Adequate, relevant and not excessive
 Accurate and kept no longer than necessary
 Processed in line with the individual’s rights
 Kept in a secure place
 Not kept longer than necessary

Any staff who obtain information about any children they are working with should ensure these principles are followed, and that any information obtained is only shared with people who have a right to the information, for example the class teacher or SENCO.
Other parts of legislation that help to protect private information are:
Every Child Matters - This green paper stresses the importance of more integrated
services and how to do the sharing of information between professionals.
Confidentiality – Safeguarding all pupil information and ensuring that the people you are sharing information with are authorised to receive it.
Confidentiality is privileged information which concerns families, children and young people.

Confidentiality is paramount when dealing with sensitive issues especially if parents/ carers want to disclose some information to you, you would like to feel they can confide in you, but you must tell them on the of set that if they tell you something in confidence and something came to light where a child/young person was being abused or concerns of child abuse that you would have to report it to the relevant person ie, the headteacher, but it will be done in the strictest confidence, as it is unfair for them to disclose confidential matters unless they understand this.
It is very important that adults never ever;

 Gossip about parents or their children
 Discuss one parent with another
 Not to make judgements about children or their parents

However, some information does need to be disclosed where children have special medical needs for example;

 Allergy needs
 Special diets
 Religious needs
 Medical conditions

Under the data protection act 1998, information about children/young people need to be kept in a locked secure file, this should be in the same place and only the relevant people should have access to the locked file, the file should never be taken of the school premises, only share relevant information with your work colleagues on a need to know basis.
If at all you discover any breaches of confidentiality you must always report it to the designated person, again this will be the headteacher.
Sharing the relevant information is paramount for Safeguarding our children/young people and also children with special educational needs so they can receive the relevant services they need for their education and protected from abuse and neglect

If you're a student and reading this post kindly submitted by a silkysteps forum member
Do not copy and paste it.
AVOID PLAGIARISM

Read it only, inform your knowledge and find links to creditable sources that you can quote.
Then write from your own perspective using your own words to reflect professional practice & research
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:32 PM

Default what i have added to outcome 4.1

Hello, thank you for your help again! Here iis some extra bits if you want it:

We have clear guidelines about the disclosure of information. When discussing pupils with others, we should take make sure that you only share information that they need to know and are entitled to know. If a person is unsure about whether to pass on information to others, it is always best to wait and to check before doing so. There may be some instances where information on pupils needs to be accessible to all staff, for example, if a pupil has a specific medical problem such as asthma or epilepsy. There should be an agreed system within the school for making sure that the entire staff are aware of who these pupils are. Some schools put photographs of the pupils in staffrooms and dining areas. When disclosing information we must make sure that we:
• Ensure that what we say is complete and accurate.
• Be sure that we are clear about the information that is passed on.
• Make sure that when disclosing any information that it is done in an appropriate environment where people won’t over hear.
• Repeat back to check what has been said.
• Always follow school policies for passing on information.
• Report any breaches of confidentiality to the appropriate person.

The school keeps a certain amount of confidential information on pupils and adults and this means that information and records that we have access to as part as our role as a teaching assistant must only be used for the intended purpose. It is important when updating information; we do not provide opportunities for others to gain access to it.
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:54 PM

Thankyou so much x

How you feeling about the next unit? equality, diversity and inclusion, i have that to come yet, not looking forward to that one at all.

Moodie
Unread 08-12-2011, 04:00 PM

Default 4.2

Shared information
• General records on pupils – These include medical records, registers, and names of carers, addresses and emergency contact numbers. It is important that these records are kept up to date.
• Individual teachers’ records of assessment – These are usually kept in classrooms and should contain teachers’ comments and assessments following their work with pupils.
• Special educational needs information on pupils – This may be kept by the Special Needs Co-ordinator or in the school office. These should be available to those who need to see them but stored carefully.
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

ratchy is on a distinguished road

At last people doing the same course as myself am just starting unit 2 and have been banging my head against the wall with this course