Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 07-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

anitak is on a distinguished road
Default 301.3/5 Encourage other adults

Hi there..... just tidying up my last p.c's and a trifle stuck here - how do you go about encouraging other adults in the setting to have positive relationships with children...... seems to me that the only example I can come up with is when someone told me they didnt really like a childs parents, so I suggested that they over compensate with the child to over come this. What other things can be done to support this?am I over thinking things here?

Your input appreciated.....
AK

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-09-2008, 05:53 PM
powell

i have done this unit have you got the book childrens care,learning and development by nelson thornes cause all the answers are in there . sorry havent got a copy of my answers but its all in book good luck
Unread 07-10-2008, 07:46 AM

Thanks. Yes I have the book, but it doesnt go into much detail on this area. Am especially trying to think of examples that cover this p.c.
Am thinking about things like displaying work, celebrating birthdays etc.
Unread 07-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, possibly going at a slightly different angle with this but to help adults have a positive attitude with the children they also need to know that what they are doing in the first place is valued and of worth.

Making staff feel part of the group and valuing what they have to say - including personal views on parenting, education and thoughts about everyday life will help them understand how important their role is within the group. This is an aspect that the Children will be able to relate to and build upon with the adults.

Taking an interest in what people enjoy learning about and ensuring that they know you are interested will help them to introduce and develop ideas in the group - Encouraging Child led activities, but ensure staff know they can speak of any concerns at any time - at the time or if necessary to an appropriate person.

Make time and space for adults to be able to talk to the children - one to one and as a group on their level and stood - what are thoughts in allowing them to interupt and join in Child activities but not necessarily lead / take over ..

Activity suggestion: small area gardening - bulb planting - if wished let staff plant their own bulb alongside the Children. Label and position the pots as the children wish (or not).. guide if there is risk - pots may get knocked off - encouraging the dialogue between staff and Children about the activity in hand, generally, something completely irrelevant or maybe not at all !

Allowing staff to bring in their own age related storybooks from home to read at story time or in the book corner will promote a love of books / build relationships and hopefully recieve an enthusiatic welcome from both sides !

Delegating responsibilities & allowing responsibilities to be requested - from everyone ... defining responsibilities for the purpose of contractual agreements and on a preference basis - ensuring everyone knows and agrees but also appreciates flexibility & can also feel confident in challenging those boundaries... deployment may also feature in the access staff & children have / would have together.

Identifying training needs in staff and being able to discuss what knowledge they feel needs to be extended and also what they'd be interested in exploring is good - Regulatory & recommended training, Childhood development and activity workshops are a fantastic way to see what can be provided for the children's learning and how they may benefit from the opportunity - it also shows how the adults can enjoy the planning / collation / delivery and outcomes as well - in house workshops / training are great for anyone with restricted transport ..

Does the group have Logo'd clothing & is it available on any items Staff would have access to ?

Hanging and displaying work together.
Listening to children and valuing what they have to say.
Talking together positively.
Discuss argumentative points productively.
eg: Why can I do it something in one place but not another.
They are allowed why aren't I.
I want it now. Why can't I have it.
Why do you say one thing and someone else says another.
Table activities that are focused on working together but promoting individuality.

Where problems may exist with adults not being able to physically manage the floor sitting - bending, low chairs, reach and stretch... discuss as a group what activities are possible, what the expectations are from colleagues and Children and work together to examine the realities and where possible provide solutions.

If you look at your daily routine see what events happen throughout its course that enables interaction between adults and staff - all members of staff themselves and also the non interactive moments that may simply provide reassurance to the children that assistance is at hand.

Home time and helping with coats .. is this an opportunity of independance or do the children still want help .. what is going on whilst help is being given - are adult & child talking about the coat or maybe to another staff member / parent or maybe just getting on with the dressing actions ...

The role of Adults in Childs play from openlearn.open.ac.uk is good

*deep breath .. lol .. I hope all this helps a little

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-11-2008, 07:56 AM

Hi there.

Thanks for a very different perspective - some really good points to think about (esp. as my team seems to be going through some "storming/forming/norming" problems at present)...... This has given me some good talking points and headed me off in a new direction.

I want to look at how we resolve differences without impacting on children, keeping good relationships between all of us and moving forward without rancour.

As always, thanks for your wise words.
AnitaK
Unread 07-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

amyloo is on a distinguished road

Hi
I am new to this forum and am finding all the info invaluable thanks.
I am currently trying to get my head round 'how to encourage adults to have a positive relationship with children' I am in a primary school setting and am struggling with how to answer that from a primary school perspective. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 05-25-2014, 01:10 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Topaze is on a distinguished road

Thank you Ruthierhyme :)