Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD

Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young People's Services and NVQ Level 4 Children's Care, Learning and Development. COPY and PASTE - search for plagiarism to make sure your work remains individual.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 01-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

eleanorski is on a distinguished road
Default unit 10 4.4 propose a strategy to manage risks when balancing individual rights and the duty of care in own area of resp

Can someone please help. I really don't know where to start on this question Any help will be greatly appreciated

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Duckling ~~ dipping in to help out ~~

bron1311 is on a distinguished road

hi how did you get on with this question thanks
Unread 04-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

eleanorski is on a distinguished road

This Is what I wrote in the end. I haven't had it signed off yet so not sure if its right.
When making an informed choice there is always an element of risk associated with it, this needs to be managed so that the individuals rights are balanced against my duty of care towards the person/child involved. Children need to make choices so that they can gain independence, self confidence and understand that their actions have consequences for themselves and those around them. In my setting we have risk assessment policies for both the outdoor and indoor areas these ensure that the children can take appropriate risks in a safe environment. There may be times when I will need to balance my duty of care and the rights of the child. an example of this could be a child who has broken his arm outside of playgroup. His parents are happy for him to come to playgroup but have asked that he not participate in any physical activities, however the child is quite lively and enjoys physical activities. in this case I would reassure the parents by explaining to them exactly what the physical activities involves and that their child will have one on one supervision during the activities. We will also risk assess the situation to ensure that we minimize any risk to their child. We will work with the parents to see if we can adapt the activity to suit the needs of their child this could be allowing the child to use low level climbing equipment or skipping instead of running They will be given a copy of the risk assessment so that they can make an informed choice whether or not to allow their child to participate. If after been given all the information the parents decide that their child is not to participate I would talk to the child that mummy/daddy doesn't want them to play on the slide(for example) in case they bump their arm and it hurts them. I would then ask the child what they would like to do. It is important that the child doesn't feel left out or that it is a punishment that they are not allowed to participate.