Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 10-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

claire32 is on a distinguished road
Default Devise an activity to promote sef esteem etc

Can anyone help with this one please.....
I remember doing 2 activities on Assignment 006 but lost all my backup and my paperwork is with the tutor.
Do I make up an activity for younger children like under 5's has the activity I did before was based on secondary school pupils such as drama, acting out a scene, having stage names and working in a group and the other one was making a car, which was team building helping eachother etc....
Any help to go in the right direction...thnx

Children’s capacity for learning is at its best in their early years. Devise an activity plan to promote children and young people’s self esteem and self confidence. In this plan explain:
• How children’s self esteem influences their approach to learning.
• How the child care practitioner can support and encourage self confidence.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by claire32 View Post
Can anyone help with this one please.....
I remember doing 2 activities on Assignment 006 but lost all my backup and my paperwork is with the tutor.
Do I make up an activity for younger children like under 5's has the activity I did before was based on secondary school pupils such as drama, acting out a scene, having stage names and working in a group and the other one was making a car, which was team building helping eachother etc....
Any help to go in the right direction...thnx

Children’s capacity for learning is at its best in their early years. Devise an activity plan to promote children and young people’s self esteem and self confidence. In this plan explain:
• How children’s self esteem influences their approach to learning.
• How the child care practitioner can support and encourage self confidence.
How children's self esteem influence their approach to learning?

Even as an adult, if you feel capable of something, you will (probably) do it more than once and the more practice you have, the better you become. This may have a bearing on your feeling towards that activty and you may enjoy doing it regularly and possibly become an interest of yours i.e. cooking, playing tennis etc.

At school, a friend of mine never felt happy (or confident) in cookery classes (probably because she was worried about getting the measurements correct, due to poor maths skills). Instead of the teacher helping and encouraging her, or getting to the route of the problem, the teacher was always on at her and she began to dread those lessons; consequently she hates cooking and never cooks.

How can a practitioner support and encourage self confidence?

So as a practitioner, whatever activity you are choosing, ensure that the child is capable of doing it (having realistic expectations of them, no good giving them a 24 piece jigsaw to complete, if you know they struggle doing a 6 piece). You can stretch/extend the activity if needed or they may 'move it along' or change/improvise the activity themselves.
If a child can do something, they will feel a sense of acheivement/pride, willing to do the activity again, progress and their self esteem will grow. A practitoner can help/scaffold if needed and give encouragement whilst carrying out the activity and don't forget praise - we all love it and it makes them/us feel good.

Often children love singing. but may feel a little shy when first starting Pre-school, but upon being offered and choosing an animal puppet it may encourage them to sing-a-long to Old MacDonald. They feel a real sense of acheivement especially if it is their first time joining in and it builds their confidence up, and you can further help their self esteem by thanking them and praising them.