Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 03-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

starbursts is on a distinguished road
Default Shc33-2.2

SHC33-2.2
Show interaction with individuals that respects their beliefs, culture, values and preferences.

the company im doing my level 3 with has given me an activity thing to get me talking and thinking about the above. ive a couple of case studies to look at and have a question on one of them hope you guys can help with. here is 1st study

You are manager of a busy nursery school and you have just hired Afia, a bright and friendly new room leader. Afia is a practising Muslim and has regular after-lunch and mid-afternoon prayer times. She needs a quiet room for prayer at these times.

ok so i dont know much about muslim religion. how long do they pray for in the sessions and would we need to allow the person extra "break time" for the prayers. can imagine an uproar with other staff members if thats the case.

thankyou in advance for any replies and help x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-07-2012, 03:54 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

oh dear firstly do some research re islam and secondly look at your inclusion policy which applies to staff as well as children and you could write about the racism you think you would see, but do people really behave like that in our profession???? so glad i live in multi cultural society. i have never encountered uproar at someone praying.
Unread 03-07-2012, 04:02 PM

i dont think anyone would be annoyed by someone having a religion but i think people would be annoyed if someone was getting extra breaks. i work alongside a child minder so our policy would be different that why i ask lol. if i was to want the time to pray as her only assistant it would be enabled to do so. we dont have propper breaks anyway to be honest we have a sit down lunch with the children. neither of us smoke and we spend all day with children dont have time for breaks :)

I live in a multi cultural society I wouldnt be annoyed, however i see many grownups acting like children spitting dummies out if someone was given extra breaks
Unread 03-07-2012, 05:46 PM

well i found the answer for anyone interested :)

You do not have to give your employees time off and facilities for religious observance but you should try to do so when possible. For example, if you get a request for a prayer room and there is a suitable room available, you should allow staff to use it, provided it does not disrupt others