Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 06-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

duckegg is on a distinguished road
Smile Advice from anyone would be gratefull

Hi
I have been told today that i am to look after a little boy with downs syndrome and was wondering if anyone know of any books or websites that can help me prepare for his education in pre-school. Any advice would be gratefull.
Thank you in advanced x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-13-2012, 10:52 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

first thing arrange a meeting with the parents they are the expert not only on downs but also on this child they will be 100 times better than a website. there is a website http://www.downs-syndrome.org.uk/
but remember this little boy isn't a condition he is a little boy who happens to have this condition, close close contact with parents best option
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:53 AM

happy is on a distinguished road
I have worked in schools and young adults homes with downs. I remember feeling such warmth from them. They tend to enjoy physical activity and working within a team. You might get a few hugs if your setting allows this. Just remember what ever you do or try they will normally be sure to want to try to. Most importantly have fun,, you can learn so much from them.
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:32 AM

duckegg is on a distinguished road

wow thank you so much for this, im looking forward to meeting him. This is a new learning curve in my career and dont want to get it wrong x
Unread 06-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

shellyjoe is on a distinguished road

I agree with tutu the best way to get to know any child is to speak to the parents. I had a chance to work with a wonderful girl (who had downs) she used makaton to help her communicate. It is best to discuss the childs needs with the parent to enable you to actively participate in the right care specific to him.
Good luck
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

I agree with building the best ever links with parents and other carers. Parents will have the most intimate knowledge of their child and working together will help overcome problems and enable you all to share times of celebration.

A few aspects you might find proactively informative ..

learning and being with children
Behaviour and possible reasoning behind the use of avoidance strategies

High palate/mouth roof - possibility for food to get stuck, chewing and moving food around for longer before swallowing, also impacts on speech and drinking.

John Langdon Down's syndrome information on NHS.uk

Grooves - routines and a need for consistency or continuity akin maybe to elements of schema & ordering a world? link is also to downs-syndrome.org.uk

obsessions, repetitive behaviour and routines on autism.org.uk

Stimming

Hugs may be forthcoming, it's a physically demonstrative way to say hi, bye, I love you, I'm happy, I'm strong, I've had enough .. it's quite personal though everyone with & without ds is very different in how they express their emotions :)

Communication and language skills are of great importance: case study on talking point

The development journal for parents is a good read, training information is available on the right of that page, maybe see what's available locally?

There are many debates surrounding screening, treatments, supplements, therapy, advice, getting to know your parents will open a window on a huge amount of opinion and thoughts xx

Best wishes
the cost of ad blockers