Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > PSE Wellbeing Health Safeguarding

PSE Wellbeing Health Safeguarding All matters relating to Personal, Social & Emotional issues, safeguarding and protecting, behaviour, illness, inclusion.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 03-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Smile Wendy Lawson - Autism Expert and lecturer

Wendy Lawson is an Autism expert and has an Autism spectrum disorder herself.

Australian born (I think!!) her webpage is an incredible insight with many resourses, quotes, links and leads to professional & informal information/products.

It's a powerful read -www.mugsy.org/wendy/
the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Default Dean Beadle

This is part of an article that's just been published in SNAP's Spring 08 Newsletter

Dean Beadle is a motivational speaker

Quote:
Accentuate The Positive
When working with special needs children its often easy to focus on the negatives. I can fully understand how hard it must be to accentuate the positive when you are dealing with such challenging issues- especially if the child's behaviour is also challenging!

As a person with Asperger's I can fully empathise with this. I have spent a lot of time focusing on all the negative attributes of my condition, especially in my early teens. I became very aware of how different I was to my peers. I didn't fit in. I could never experience life in the same way as them.

My self-esteem had reached an all time low. I look back on this time now with regret. I spent such a long time moping about what I didn't have that I overlooked all of the wonderful and valuable things that I did have. I am extremely concerned that other children will be dealing with such self-esteem issues.

If you'd been repeatedly reminded of your short-comings throughout your life, I'm sure you would have low self-esteem too. This low self-esteem often results in the child having little value for the skills and positive attributes that they may well have, which can often be incredibly useful to them in later life.
SOURCE: SNAPChildcare.co.uk
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 03-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

Very true and a lesson for us all - when doing observations and noting issues or concerns, always try to either accentuate the positive or give a suggestion for a way forward....

As my old boss used to tell me ... give me a solution, not a problem