Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 12-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

emziebub88 is on a distinguished road
CYP3.2 Help please!! :(

Hiya guys, hope everyone had a lovely christmas, and now that its back to the coursework, I am in real need of some help! there's quite a few questions that I need some help on, so if any of you can help me I would really appreciate it!!

Explain how you assess children's development in the following areas:
- intellectual/cognitive
- moral.

Describe how your own work environment is organised to promote the development of children or young people. You can include a diagram/room plan. Explain how the environment meets the needs of individual children.

Explain the dilemma between the rights and choices of children and young people and health and the safety requirements within your setting by providing three examples.

Explain the importance of engaging with a child to support sustained shared thinking.

Explain the development of movement skills in young children and how these skills affect other aspects of development.

Explain the importance of building physical activity into everyday routines.

Reflect on your own practice in supporting young children’s physical development and movement skills.

Thanks in advance, and happy 2014 to you all!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-31-2013, 02:25 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

A few!!!! can i suggest you go back and do some reading!
Unread 12-31-2013, 05:31 PM

Jo1988 is on a distinguished road

Hello hun.

Explain how you assess children's development in the following areas:
- intellectual/cognitive
- moral.

How can you assess children's cognative/intellectual and moral development? Think about what activities you can provide for children to develop their skills in these areas, and then doing observations to see what the child gains from the activity, did they do it well, did they struggle, was it too easy or too hard for them etc... As an adult we focus on what the child is doing, making and saying. After collecting the infomation you need you can then reflect on this infomation and figure out the child's next steps and goals.

Describe how your own work environment is organised to promote the development of children or young people.

If your in a childcare setting think about how the work enviroment is set out and oragnised. How do you promote the development of children?? Think about different areas of the room, do you have a art table? is there a book corner that children can assess whenever they want? is the room bright and stimulating? does it have childrens own art work up on display? Like your question states I answered this with a drawed room plan, I just drawed the room as it was and added the different areas of the room like soft play and construction area. I also added a garden plan. Remember the setting needs to meet the EYFS framework to ensure that children can reach their full potential.

Explain the dilemma between the rights and choices of children and young people and health and the safety requirements within your setting by providing three examples.

For this question you need to mention about having a balanced approach between the rights and choices of children so that they are not over protected. Ensuring that safety measures are put in place will allow children to exlore and make decisions about risks. For example you wont say that a small group of children are not allowed outside becuase its snowing and you dont want them to fall over and hurt themselves. Ensure a risk assessment is in place before going outside and making sure the children are dressed up appropriately for the weather will allow them to explore the snow with excitement. And making sure that children are aware to not run about to fast because they could slip over is giving them the chance to go outside and have fun in the snow but at the same time they are learning to understand that if they do run about that they could fall over. If a balanced approach isnt taken then children will never learn about risks and safety, they need to learn to be able to control risks themseleves and this in turn will make them more confident. Its important that we have child let and adult let activities throughout the day with risk assessments in place.

importance of engaging with a child to support sustained shared thinking

Sustained shared thinking is where two individuals children with children or children with adult/s work together intellectually or thinking how to do something, talk about something that they are going to do or has been done, explain something and solving problems. Working within a team or discussing things will always bring different views, ideas, opinions, thoughts, answers and solutions.
The EYFS states that sustained shared thinking should now be part of children’s critical thinking and creativity, with support from practitioners to enhance their skills and abilities to ask questions and think critically, the EYFS also state the importance of sustained shared thinking in all the six areas of learning and development as there all connected to one another and are all equally important.
When working with children it’s very important to support sustained shared thinking to help develop and extend their knowledge as knowledge alone isn’t enough but helping children to think further to help them extend their thinking is needed for continued learning and are more likely to do well in school, further education and life, for example at the setting if I’m sitting with a group of children at circle time and we are talking about planting seeds and flowers growing I could say to the children “Now today we will plant some seeds in a pot of soil and put onto the windowsill in the sun to watch some flowers grow” And then I could then extend this and say “Now if I was to plant these seeds in the garden what would be needed to make them grow?” and hopefully I have already gave them the knowledge that the seeds need water, soil and sun but then I can extend the question even more by asking questions such as “where will the water come from?” “What will happen if the weather is cold?” children then may answer things such as watering can or rain or the topic may even go onto something else in a different direction, whatever they say or whatever the answer is they are still thinking and putting their thoughts into practise with support from the practitioner and even the other children who are chipping in with ideas, thoughts and opinions. Sustained shared thinking not only helps them think further and deeper but it also helps with their communication and language skills by them expressing their ideas and opinions verbally and they may also learn new words in the process, it also helps with their social and emotional development through team work and co-operation with other children and adults thinking of new ideas together, talking about it, agreeing or disagreeing to idea’s and thoughts and even making new friends as they may have the same likes and/or dislikes. It enables children to extend their problem solving, reasoning and thinking skills by thinking of new ideas and expressing them, if there is a problem with something for example the flowers may be growing in the pot but a child might notice that it seems to be leaning to the side a little and the child may ask a adult “how come the flower is leaning to the side” the adult may reply “Maybe its missing something that it needs to make it grow” the child might then think about it and say “Oh yeah it needs water we haven’t watered it today”, this is the child thinking of why and then how to solve the problem.
It’s vital that during the process of sustained shared thinking that the adult listens to what the child has to say and to observe their body language, as well as showing an interest to them as if you don’t seem interested then they won’t be bothered to talk about anything, things such as nodding, answering them, giving eye contact, getting to their level and smiling will ensure that the child knows that you are listening to them. Respecting a child’s opinions and idea’s is also important saying things like “wow that sounds really good can you tell me about it again” and then listening and engaging in what they said sometimes when a child has said something like “I think that we should go camping” it’s good to recap back to them such as “So Clair do you think we should go camping?”. Asking open ended questions is also important as they need to give more than a yes or no answer and they can expand on the answer, open ended questions include how did you? What happens next? What do you think? I wonder what would happen if we? Suggesting to children ideas asking things such as “what about if you put it this way up” reminding children “don’t forget that if you don’t put pink paint into the white the colour won’t change” and not forgetting to use closed end questions in conversation such as “do you like my hair”
When children are talking and giving their opinions, ideas and thoughts then it’s important for practitioners to use positive questioning for example... “Really I didn’t know that” “I don’t know what you think” “I wondered why you had that green piece of paper” “Have you seen what Ben has done, why has he done that “That’s a brilliant idea”
Agreeing disagreeing or giving your opinion to a child is also vital to give them confidence and support within their thinking, language, speech, communication and problem solving skills. Some words can be used to enable them to feel good about themselves and give them assurance to do even more words to use can be things such as “I agree” “I wonder” “I disagree” “I imagine” “I like” “I don’t like”.

Explain the development of movement skills in young children and how these skills affect other aspects of development

This silkysteps thread should help you with this question.
http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14870

Explain the importance of building physical activity into everyday routines.

The evidence for the benefits of physical activity for children’s physical health is clear and well-understood. For example, there is strong evidence that physical activity builds strong bones and strengthens muscles, maintains flexibility, maintains and achieves a healthy weight, promotes good posture and balance, improves fitness, strengthens the heart and enhances healthy growth and development.

Reflect on your own practice in supporting young children’s physical development and movement skills.

Talk about reflective practise.
Google reflective pracise there are lots of useful websites out there. and also this thread from silkysteps.
http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7386

Hope this helps you. I know what its like to get stuck for words sometimes, I got stressed out from time to time with mine. Good luck and happy new year!!!!!!!
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo1988 View Post
Hello hun.
Thanks for this post, it really has helped me as I know you messaged me on my other post too!!! Thanks loads for this you have helped me soooooo much!!! I hope I can return the favour to you 1 day Jo1988 xx
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:49 PM

I know I keep posting guys, please excuse my excessive posts but I have 1 more question I need help on to complete this task, so any help would be appreciated!!!! :)

Explain the importance of a person centred and inclusive approach and give examples of how this is implemented in your own work. ??????????????

Totally mind boggled!!!!
Unread 01-18-2014, 05:27 PM

Jo1988 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emziebub88 View Post
Thanks for this post, it really has helped me as I know you messaged me on my other post too!!! Thanks loads for this you have helped me soooooo much!!! I hope I can return the favour to you 1 day Jo1988 xx
No problem. :) xx