Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 09-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

gracygrey is on a distinguished road
Crossfingers SHC34 - conflicts or dilemmas that may arise between the duty of care and an individuals rights

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here for ages due to things at my setting going very wrong and not knowing if I was going to be able to continue my course or not, but everything crossed I still have a position at the setting for the next few months but now I have to play catch up as I have not touched my coursework for 2 months!!

Please could someone help me get started with SHC34 - 2: 2.1 and 2.2?

I expect it has been covered somewhere else but I could only find one thread in the search or is it that it is actually quite easy and noone needed to ask

I have jumped to this unit to get me back into it all as my assessor said it would be a good starting point.

describe potential conflicts or dilemmas that may arise between the duty of care and an individuals rights

and

describe how to manage risks associated with conflicts or dilemmas between an individuals rights and the duty of care

I am presuming this covers both children and adults but cannot get started on it

Thank you

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

ems is on a distinguished road

SHC 34 :-

Working with children has a significant duty of care. Children who are younger and more vulnerable need greater care. The attention and vigilance of the practitioner helps to keep them safe as they develop, gives the children understanding to be able to for see and cope with potential dangers and have an understanding that their actions may hurt and upset others, also communication to be able to talk about the harm others may be doing to them.

The duty of care contributes to the safeguarding and protection of individuals this can be carried out in a variety of ways:-

• Risk assessment both inside and outside.
• Avoiding potential hazards, which could lead to harm through accidents or spreading infections.
• Having clear instructions and set boundaries.
• Observing children and assessing their development.
• Working with parents and other professionals to aid children’s development.
• Hold a relevant Safeguarding Certificate.
• Have a member of staff who is SENCO trained.

Conflicts and Dilemmas that may arise between the duty of care and individuals rights could be staff having a difference of opinion over a child for example a staff member believing they have signs of abuse and another staff member thinking they don’t. This could lead to conflict between the child’s family / carers if staff involved other agencies such as Social Services. Dilemmas could be knowing when to get further help regarding child protection and safeguarding issues for example if you did not refer the case to social services the child might still continue to suffer abuse. Another dilemma would be knowing when to break confidentiality and share information. If you have any concerns about a child or feel they are at risk you need to share them and report it, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Other dilemmas in our setting could be:-

• Staff falling out,
• Break confidentiality,
• Swearing and behaviour,
• Absent staff members,
• Lack of team work.

There are many ways to manage risks associated with conflicts and dilemmas:-

• Allowing children explore with guidance,
• Making children aware of potential hazards and dangers,
• Allowing children to acquire life skills through learning how to cope with risky situations,
• Staff ignorance,
• Parents are a risk to staff if reported to social services.

To get additional support and guidance on conflicts and dilemmas would be to talk to the supervisor or get information from outside agencies or the internet and library.

At our preschool we have a complaints policy. Please see attached.
If a complaint was made to me, I would guide them in the direction of the supervisor or deputy and suggest they have a private chat. The procedures are clearly pointed out on our policy.

I Hope this helps, my assessor has marked this off

------------------------------------
Level 3 handbooks for CYPW learners - on amazon.co.uk
Unread 06-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

04zog is on a distinguished road

Do you have to give example of dealing with a conflict also?
Unread 06-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04zog View Post
Do you have to give example of dealing with a conflict also?
Hi, welcome to silkysteps, conflict and dilema involve each other.

One possible example is how less healthy food choices involve personal taste preference, cultural upbringing, parent's and carer's guidance, all of which are individual's right and responsibilities.

Dilema = you are aware healthy foods benefit both growth and development now and as considerations for the child's future health.
Dilema & conflict = how can help the child understand and select healthier food options and support the family/parent in assisting you with this. How can this be done without causing upset, unneccessarily interference, invading that family'sprivacy or demean their cultural heritage

Hth, enjoy the site
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

minkymoomoo is on a distinguished road

Thank you for sharing this ems, I'm a newbie to all this and you have certainly made a hard task a lot easier! I totally get what I have to do now! YAY! :) x