Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 03-09-2016, 09:37 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

claire16c is on a distinguished road
Default Longitudinal study help

Hi, Ive just started doing my observations this week, and then will do my work for the assessment, plan and implementation of an activity cycle.

The only thing I can not work out is, when you do the 2nd observation, is it supposed to be of the activity you planned? Or just a general observation of anything related to the topic youve picked?

From what I can see in my hand book and the text book, its just a new observation and doesnt need to be of the activity - and for example if I use a check list again, it couldnt anyway. But I just want to check.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-17-2016, 05:30 PM

Happy as can bee is on a distinguished road

when you carry out an observation on a child and through it you recognise there is support needed or a gap. so for example ob, Joey held scissors with both hands in a chopping like motion as he cut paper.
assessment Joey seems to find it difficult to use scissors.
activities would be scissors in the dough, pegboard activities, threading and junk art with scissor to help develop his fine motor skills. I would observe again in 3-6 weeks to see if he has made progress and to see if the suggested ideas have helped to strengthen his fine motor. this you will see through his scissor use. (good practice is also to put your support activities into your weekly plan)

Longitudinal observations can be snapshots of 5-30 min observations every 15 mins or so over a day or two when you are trying to asses a child's behaviour cognitive development or to ascertain what is causing the upset, delay or withdrawl. this is sometimes the best option.

Good luck

hope it helps
Unread 03-17-2016, 06:40 PM

Hi thanks for your reply.
The problem is the course requires you do 4 observations in a 6 week period.
So I am doing an activity and then literally the next day doing he next observation. So I am wondering if the observation should be of the activity itself. But I think from reading the book that perhaps it does not need to be it just needs to be an observation focusing on the area of development you have chosen
Unread 03-19-2016, 12:19 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

prettyclueless is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have exactly the same question and need to email my tutor and ask. I was under the impression we have to observe the activity we plan but as you say, the text book makes me think otherwise.

It's really difficult having to do so many observations in such a short space of time when you are only there once a week :(

Good luck x
Unread 03-19-2016, 09:11 AM

So glad I'm not the only one! Well I emailed my tutor and she doesn't seem to j understand what I'm asking! So I've gone ahead and done an observation of their general behaviour - not the activity. If it's wrong I'll be fuming. Because I'll have 4 observations of 2 children that are all wrong.
The thing that makes me think that it doesn't need to be of the activity though now, apart from the text book, is that some types of observation method wouldnt fit it anyway. For example I'm doing a checklist on one child.
It just seems a bit daft as like you say so many in a short time. I'm there twice a week (I'm a nanny) and trying to fit all this in! The writing up of each observation and then trying to find a new activity when the child will hardly have learnt anything in one week! It's not a long time period!

My other question is we have to do the 4 observations in 6 week - does it have to literally be 6 weeks like miss one week out? Or would it matter if it was 5?
Unread 03-19-2016, 11:01 AM

prettyclueless is on a distinguished road

Exactly! my point too! (about the types of observations) If we have to observe what we have planned we are very limited as to the kind of observations we can do. Surely if we are supposed to observe the activities we have planned we can only do narrative or checklist observations? Unless I have it all wrong.
Unread 03-19-2016, 06:33 PM

I'm just going to do general observations (already done one second one) and hope its right. It doesnt make sense to do the observation of the activity in the sense that the child might decide not to do it, or yeah things like event samples wouldnt fit either. So Im going to hedge my bets on not needing to. But its just very confusing the way it makes it out to be a cycle - which makes you think maybe you do need to do it of the activity? but doesn't tell you if its like a completely joined up circle or not!

Even in two days I find it hard to fit in. And then writing it up is a nightmare - linking all the stuff you've seen them to do to theories, text book etc. On a short observation! And then you basically observe them one week later doing the same stuff - how will my answers be any different!? It will just be the same old stuff!
Unread 03-19-2016, 07:32 PM

angeleyes296 is on a distinguished road

I have just submitted mine.... I done general observations and planned my activities base on them then done another general observation and so on.
What areas you are using for your LS ??
Unread 03-20-2016, 12:02 AM

Thats good to know!
Im doing physical development for one child and speech, lang and comm for the other x
Unread 03-20-2016, 12:18 AM

angeleyes296 is on a distinguished road

crazy thats what i have done!
Is there anything i can help with?
the only thing that has come back to far if that i needed to evaulate more and i have just resubmitted it