Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 03-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

kerrysid is on a distinguished road
Default knowledge and understanding of different theories of development

HELP PLEASE..
produce a report to demonstrate you knowledge and understanding of different theories of development. This report should identify how these theories have influenced current practice and include the following:

cognitive
psychoanalytical
humanist
social learning
operant conditioning
behaviorist
social pedagogy

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-25-2013, 02:32 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

rosany is on a distinguished road

Level 3 children and young people workforce from page 64 to 70. please read,all information are there, I just finished this unit right now
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:39 AM

Kat67 is on a distinguished road

There's also a book that I bought from Amazon that you could maybe try to get a copy of from your library, called How Children Learn From Montessori to Vygotsky - educational approaches made easy by Linda Pound. This book talks about several of the theorists, explains their theory and gives a little information on how the theory is applied in modern schools. It helped me with my assignment for the Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools course and it sounds as though yours is a similar assignment. Hope that helps
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

kerry-lou is on a distinguished road

this is what i wrote and it got signed off not long ago, i really struggled with this as well so i hope this helps. please feel free to use my work but dont copy it word for word. x

2.3 Explain how theories of development and frameworks to support development influence current practice.
Some of the theories of development that influence current practice are explained below.

Cognitive (e.g. Piaget)
Jean Piaget was a cognitive theorist who developed a theory of how children learn. He claimed that children go through stages and sequences in their learning, are active learners, use first-hand experiences and prior experiences in order to learn and imitate and transform what they learn into symbolic behaviour.

Piaget’s theories allow us to effectively plan for the development of a child. Using the Piagets stages we can assess where and how a child is currently learning, and plan activities and observations to help them develop into the next stages.

Psychoanalytic (e.g. Freud)
Sigmund Freud did not focus on the development of the youngest children, but Anna Freud his daughter and Melanie Klein did. Anna and Melanie both believed that all children are born with the ability to learn a language. Sigmund and other psychoanalysts argued that development in children unfolds quite naturally. According to Freud the mind can be split into two parts, the conscious mind and the unconscious mind. Freud’s work may not be proven, but Freud’s work on unconscious actions and peoples mind skills are still seen, for example in our setting we have a child who often hurts other children, and when they deny hurting another child and tell a lie, they often start crying knowing that they have lied and what they have done is wrong.

While Freud’s theories do not necessarily fit in with our exact standards, and are today not considered to be very accurate he has been very influential as lots of theorists used his theories as a starting point. He has also helped those working with children understand that there is a link between our mind and our unconscious actions.

Humanist (e.g. Maslow)
Abraham Maslow developed a humanistic approach to create a theory of human needs which is relevant to all ages, not just for children. He described five levels of need and proposed that each level much be met before progressing onto the next level. He saw it as it’s difficult to reach one need’s full potential, unless the lower level needs have been met. For example children start by writing sounds/letters, then words, then sentences. Maslow’s theory is relevant to child development and care. For example if a child is hungry, they may not focus or respond to planned activities. This is why in our setting, we have snack time and encourage every child to have piece of fruit to give them the energy to complete planned activities.

His explanations can be extremely useful in childcare when addressing a child’s personal needs, ensuring that their basic needs are met to help them develop.

Operant conditioning (e.g. Skinner)
B.F Skinner was a behavioural psychologist who worked in the USA. He did not believe it was effective to theorise about mental states that could not be observed. Skinner’s theory was based on operant condition and is based on a system of both positive and negative reinforcement. Adults using this theory must make sure that what they intend is what actually happens. For example if a child kicks another child and then automatically says sorry, if they mean it or not and an adult says ‘good boy for saying sorry’ this child will avoid being put into time out and will go on and hurt another child thinking its ok.

An example of this theory in my setting is that we reward good behaviour, so the behaviour will hopefully be repeated. We use time out for bad behaviour, so the behaviour is hopefully not repeated.

Behaviourist (e.g. Watson)
Watson believed that everybody is born with the same abilities and that anyone can be taught anything and those individuals can be trained to behave in a certain way. Watson’s theory was influenced by the work of Russian physiologist Ivan Pavlov. Watson was the one for the behavioural/behaviourism approach, his work supports learning through conditioning. Watson’s and Pavlov’s ideas impacted on that of B Skinner’s.

These theories are implemented in my setting by rewarding good behaviour, with stickers, prizes and privileges. By punishing unwanted behaviour to encourage a child to behave positively by following our card system, (warning, yellow card, red card) and ignoring attention seeking behaviour.

Social Pedagogy is a framework that influences current practice.
Social pedagogy is a framework that seeks to bring together theories and concepts from psychology, sociology and education to create a holistic way of working with children and young people. It’s a way of treating children as a whole, making sure that every child’s needs are met especially those children with extra needs.

This is what my setting bases there approach to childcare on, for example by working one to one with the children who have extra needs.
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:33 PM

betty boop is on a distinguished road

Hi i used the same i found bandura good for behaviour's.
e.g children learn from what they see.
putting into practice, staff act as good role modles no smoking, swearing, dress code, codes of practice.
i.e if there is others displaying negitive behaviours, you take other young people out of the way so that they do not learn from other's behaviours. offer incentives for positive behaviours.
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

erica68 is on a distinguished road
Default theorists

im totally stuck on this theorists and how they link and also were to start Help please someone
Unread 03-11-2015, 12:15 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Naz1982 is on a distinguished road

How much do you have to write? I'm doing bandura.
Unread 03-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

sallysparkle is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm new to Silky steps so not sure if any one can help. I'm really stuck on... What are the different theories of child development and the different frameworks to support the development and how can these influence current working practice on the young peoples development? My brain feels like its going to explode.. Do I have to write the 3 theories? Do I need to give a detailed description of each theorist and how they relate to the theories...... I would be grateful of any help at all. Thanks