Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 05-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

jmima is on a distinguished road
Default Cache L3 CYPW: CYP 3.1 (speech development)

Hello everyone! Working on the task 4 of CYP 3.1 and the question is this:
An analysis that shows the importance of early identification of speech, language and communication delays and disorders and potential risks of late recognition.

My thoughts are that early identitication is important for the child's emotional well-being, that teh earlier the problem is identified, the easier (potentially) it is to correct and finding ways to help the child will prevent bad behaviour. Am I missing anything?

Also, other than Tassoni's book, can anyone direct me as to where else I might find more information? I tried googling it but it's bringing up loads of research from the UK and Canada, and not much UK based....

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmima View Post
Hello everyone! Working on the task 4 of CYP 3.1 and the question is this:
An analysis that shows the importance of early identification of speech, language and communication delays and disorders and potential risks of late recognition.

My thoughts are that early identitication is important for the child's emotional well-being, that teh earlier the problem is identified, the easier (potentially) it is to correct and finding ways to help the child will prevent bad behaviour. Am I missing anything?

Also, other than Tassoni's book, can anyone direct me as to where else I might find more information? I tried googling it but it's bringing up loads of research from the UK and Canada, and not much UK based....
If you go (mentally) around the children in your setting and you may find some children that seem to have speech and communication problems and then try and think of why they have them.

I'm seeing more and more children arrive and then collected from the setting 'plugged' into a dummy - these children are often 3 years of age. These children often have terrible problems trying to speak and pronounce words - their sucking habits begin to impede their progress and sometimes they just don't bother. Health visitors and speech therapists are trying to get parents to understand that no child should have a dummy pass 12 months - not even at bed time. Try and explain this sensitively (and placing posters up from Speech therapists) and parents say 'They only have it when...' or 'They won't stop screaming if they don't have one..' etc.

It can further impede them if they live in a household where there is no social speech (dummy or not). A child who is just shouted or given commands for bed/get up etc is behind in their speech and this will put them behind, not just in talking but interacting with other children/adults etc

If a child has long term chronic illness, this can put them behind as can lots of colds, ear infections - resulting in 'glue ear'.

I needn't tell you why anything that is preventing a child to develop is hampering their progress. Have a look at the link below all about communication.

http://www.hello.org.uk/get-involved...rly-years.aspx

I hope this helps a little.
Unread 05-08-2011, 09:17 PM

I hadn't thought of the dummy! Thank you for that!!!

I found the ICAN report 2006 and the Every Child A Talker manifesto (all 100 pages of it!!!) so found some answers there too. Just need to put it all together now! Easier said than done LOL!
Unread 05-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmima View Post
I hadn't thought of the dummy! Thank you for that!!!

I found the ICAN report 2006 and the Every Child A Talker manifesto (all 100 pages of it!!!) so found some answers there too. Just need to put it all together now! Easier said than done LOL!
Yes, I went on courses for both the above when they came out and earlier this year I attended a conference with speech therapists and education psychologists promoting the 'hello' campaign (the link I gave you).

I'm seeing more and more harassed working mothers decide that they can't do without their child having a dummy in their company. It was sad that the speech professionals confirmed my fears that dummies seem to be 'taking over'. The children are even given dummies with football team colours on - making them 'on trend' I suppose.
Unread 05-08-2011, 09:41 PM

The Hello campaign looks really good There's a two day seminar locally, so i'll be putting my name down for it. Thanks again for the link!

As for dummies, I have an 18 month old daughter and trying to take the dummy off her is like trying to take her leg off. I keep telling myself I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do it but somehow courage always fails me. After what I've been reading tonight though, I'm just going to have to be brave!
Unread 07-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

sandie90 is on a distinguished road

hi, i'm doing the same course as you, and struggling with some of the questions. they tasks set are really not worded very well which i think adds to half the struggle!!