Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 02-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Kayleigh-Ann

Default stuck on 303 K3D206

Hey i would be very greatful if you could help me

i'm stuck on 303 - K3D206

What techniques are appropriate for different purposes? (e.g, time sampling, free description, event samplin, checklist, tracker etc)

Kayleigh-Ann

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-12-2009, 09:09 AM
melanieabigail2004

Default K3d206

There is:-

free description (also referred to as narrative description and written record) which can be used to record the behaviour of a child over a very short period of time

- tracker books, tick charts or checklists. These are methods of assessment to determine a child’s development stage.

- an event sample can be used to look closely at one aspect of a child’s development or behaviour e.g thumb sucking

- a time sample can be used to observe a child over evenly spaced intervals during a session or a pre-determined length of time.

- a target child observation is used to record one child’s activity over a long period of time without any gaps in the recording process.

Hope this helps. Pages 89 - 94 of the CCLD book by Penny Tassoni covers the above in more detail.

Mel
Unread 02-12-2009, 10:54 AM
kerri

Checklists are suitable for groups of children doing clearly defined activities-number/colour recognition, gross motor skills
Tracking is for 1 child when observing favoured activities and level of concentration
Free discription one child in relation to social skils, language and communication
stuctured discription is suitable for observing one child look at a type of behaviour, negitive, attention seeking, self help skills.
Kerri
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

trace_80 is on a distinguished road
Whoop whoop - yayy

There are several ways of observing and recording a childs behaviour
and development that we use within the setting. Each method has its
advantages and disadvantages as a early year practitioner i need to be
familiar with these methods and match them to the situation i am
observing. Some observations provide more information than others. Open
methods of observation are the most subjective as there is so much
information that you have to make conscious and subconscious decisions
as to what you observe and record. This means there will be things the
child does that you will miss. If you want more objectifity closed
methods are the most useful. A checklist is a good method to use to
help you to focus on an area of a childs development. A checlist on a
childs physical development might bring to your attention on whether
the child is left or right handed. A disadvantage to using this method
is that when obseving the child you may not notice whether the child is
smiling whilst doing the activity.

Below is a table which informs you of each type of observations and what they might be used for. (I used the table in the childrens care learning and development by penny tassoni etc.) The Heinemann one
page number 87.

Hope this helps it has been signed by my assessor.