Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 05-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

millieh25 is on a distinguished road
Default What expectations of your work role are expressed in the relevant standards.

Hi,

It's the first time i have posted on here.

I need some help with the question ; what expectations of your work role are expressed in the relevant standards.

I dont know where to start or what i should be talking about.

Thanks in advance

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi a warm welcome to the site.

This is from the SCH 32 sample chapter SCH32 Engage in personal development book chapter - buy the CYPW book on amazon

1.2 Explain expectations about own work role as expressed in relevant standards

Your job may have come with a job description, but while that tells you what you need to do, it does not usually tell you how you need to do it. To find that out, you need to look at the Standards that apply to your work.

Standards, as with Codes of Practice, will vary depending on the UK country in which you work. Each UK country has National Minimum Standards that are used by inspectors to ensure that services are being
delivered at an acceptable level (see page XXX).

Finally, and most importantly in terms of how you carry out your work, there are the National Occupational Standards (NOS). These apply across the whole of the UK, and explain what you need to know and be able to do in order to work effectively in social care.

The National Occupational Standards form the basis for all the qualifications in the social care sector, and are divided into units of competence. Some of these are mandatory, and everyone should be able to demonstrate competence in these areas. Other units are optional and you should be able to demonstrate competence in those units relevant to your job role.

Competence
In performing your job role, competence means that you have been able to provide evidence that you can demonstrate the skills and the underpinning knowledge contained in the National Occupational Standards. It is important to understand that competence is not only about doing the job; it is also about understanding why you do what you do and the theoretical basis that underpins the work.

Key Terms
National Minimum Standards – these are used by the Commission for Social Care Inspection (CSCI) to inspect the quality of care in services.
National Occupational Standards – UK standards of performance that people are expected to achieve in their work, and the knowledge and skills they need to perform effectively.
Competence – demonstrating the skills and knowledge required by the National Occupational Standards.

There are links to the NOS & other resources on this thread National Occupational Standards

If you have contact with your tutor can you ask if they have any literature/handouts or teaching for this criteria?

Best wishes
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 05-15-2016, 12:09 PM

This question has just totally thrown me, i dont understand it at all and just cant start the question off :( im sure once i have started it and its clicked i wont be able to stop rambling!
Unread 05-15-2016, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Hi yes, it's indepth xx

Do you have a handbook to help?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 05-15-2016, 12:51 PM

i have the children and young peoples workforce book, the Heinemann one.

This is the hardest task so far, i just dont get it

Thanks x
Unread 05-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Administrator

It tries to help you understand that there are sets of standards in place that guide and govern the way you work xx

It's most easy when you've copies of your setting's policies & procedures to read, your job contract or a staff handbook and the relevant Early Years framework (EYFS?)

Nationally, right across the UK the National Occupational Standards state what we're expected to know about, understand and how to perform as a professional practitioner of children's care, learning and development. As they (the NOS) apply to the whole of the UK all four home nations are involved - England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

The NOS are very detailed, they're what the older NVQ & CYWP qualifications were directly based on. If read separately they can be overwhelming, just the titles are listed on this thread.

Bringing things a little closer, the framework for your home nation (England? the framework will be EYFS) will also contain regulations and standards of practice, that mean you'll be expected to meet them. Each home nation has their very own framework that's built on the NOS, on local legislation and provides information to ensure each works within the law and to their unique set of expected standards.

What is your role in your setting? what do you do?

What does it say you need to do in your job description?

What do the settings policies and procedures say you have to do?

what you need to do then is see how they link to your early years framework (EYFS?) and two or three of the many National Occupational Standards.

Page 32 of the Heinemann book looks at this but it does rely on the training you ought to be receiving from your tutor. xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 05-15-2016, 01:39 PM

I have my staff handbook here and in the previous question i have outlined the duties that apply to me in my role, these are:
• To effectively deliver the EYFS ensuring that the individual needs and interest of children in the setting are met (in conjunction with other team members)
• To keep records of your key children’s development and learning journeys and share with parents, carers and other key adults in the child’s life.
• Support all staff and engage in a good staff team.
• To develop and maintain strong partnerships and communication with parents/carers to facilitate day-to-day caring and early learning needs.
• To ensure the provision of a high quality environment to meet the needs of individual children having an awareness of any disabilities, family cultures and medical histories.
• To advise manager/supervisor of any concerns, preserving confidentiality
• To be involved in out of working hours activities, e.g. training, monthly staff meetings, summer fete etc.
• To be flexible within working practices of the setting, undertaking other responsible duties where needed, such as domestic tasks, preparation of snack meals, cleansing of equipment, etc.
• To work alongside the manager and staff team to ensure that the setting’s mission statement is fulfilled.
• To read, understand and adhere to all policies and procedures relevant to your role and the safe running of the setting.
• To develop your role within the team, especially with regard to being a key person
• To keep completely confidential any information regarding the children, their families or other staff that is acquired as part of the job.
• To be aware of the high profile of the setting and to uphold its standards at all times, both in work hours and outside.
• To support nursery assistants, students and volunteers.
• To ensure good standards of safety, hygiene and cleanliness are maintained at all times.
• To undertake and lead on additional responsibilities such as SENCO, training co-ordinator, safeguarding Officer etc

so they are all my roles, now i need to talk about how these roles are expressed in the standards? Just cant get my head in gear to know how to do this

x
Unread 05-15-2016, 06:33 PM
Administrator

So for example

• To effectively deliver the EYFS ensuring that the individual needs and interest of children in the setting are met (in conjunction with other team members) this would link to CCLD 309 Plan and implement curriculum frameworks for early education

It also links to EYFS' standards and expectations on page 8 1.6

• To keep records of your key children’s development and learning journeys and share with parents, carers and other key adults in the child’s life. This would link to NOS CCLD 303 Promote children’s development
because learning journeys are one method of monitoring, obberving and assessing each child's progress.

and EYFS section 2 assessment

• Support all staff and engage in a good staff team. could link to the NOS for CCLD 301 (children's care learning & development) Develop and promote positive relationships

• To be involved in out of working hours activities, e.g. training, monthly staff meetings, summer fete etc. could link to NOS CCLD 304 Reflect on and develop practice. As the training you're expected to take part in helps to develop your practice.

and EYFS link on page 20 3.20

National occupational codes & titles on silkysteps
and the actual units on archived CWDC

Hth xx
the cost of ad blockers