Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 05-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Mockingbird is on a distinguished road
Default providing information

I've started this... just want to know whether i'm along the right lines.

What information should you pass on to parents and carers ?

I have : Routine information. e.g - how their child has been that day, whether they settled well if they had been upset at the time of arrival, etc..

Observations and Assessments, on their child. e.g - inviting the parents and carers in to look at their child's learning journey/making the parents aware that their child's learning journey is available for them to access.

Information regarding the planning, so that parents and carers know what we will be doing at the setting regarding their child's needs. Parents and carers will then be able to 'talk' to their child about what they have been doing or continue a certain activity at home.

Information on our policies. e.g - where they are kept and letting parents know they are there if they wish to look at them..

I'm sure there is other stuff too.

just thought of accidents and incidents that have happened during the time their child has been there.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
I've started this... just want to know whether i'm along the right lines.

What information should you pass on to parents and carers ?

I have : Routine information. e.g - how their child has been that day, whether they settled well if they had been upset at the time of arrival, etc..

Observations and Assessments, on their child. e.g - inviting the parents and carers in to look at their child's learning journey/making the parents aware that their child's learning journey is available for them to access.

Information regarding the planning, so that parents and carers know what we will be doing at the setting regarding their child's needs. Parents and carers will then be able to 'talk' to their child about what they have been doing or continue a certain activity at home.

Information on our policies. e.g - where they are kept and letting parents know they are there if they wish to look at them..

I'm sure there is other stuff too.

just thought of accidents and incidents that have happened during the time their child has been there.
Hi
not sure but what about info on additional needs (alot of my time at the end of a session is spent talking to a childs mum about all sorts of things such as hospital appointments, how the child might have been (especially if they do not communicate such as some children with autism) about things that they have done, enjoyed, disliked etc , medication. Speech language, physiotherapist (when they have visited the setting and not spoke to parents so you relay what you have been told

Don't know whether this will help
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn c View Post
Hi
not sure but what about info on additional needs (alot of my time at the end of a session is spent talking to a childs mum about all sorts of things such as hospital appointments, how the child might have been (especially if they do not communicate such as some children with autism) about things that they have done, enjoyed, disliked etc , medication. Speech language, physiotherapist (when they have visited the setting and not spoke to parents so you relay what you have been told

Don't know whether this will help
would that come under routine information ?

Thankyou :-)
Unread 05-23-2011, 08:08 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

you dont invite them to look at the journals, they belong to THEIR children they have more right to enter information after all they are the experts on their children and will be much better informed and better at observing them. you should offer info on YOUR expertise which is child development. they should go home every weekend and in between for the experts to fill in add observations and thoughts. these experts? the parents.

planning should be done in conjunction with the results of these observations esp those done by the parents.
turn the second para around! key persons can then 'talk' to their children bout what they have been doing at home and continue this leaning in the setting
Unread 05-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
would that come under routine information ?

Thankyou :-)
Hi yeah not sure now but to me it's routine and maybe aone off hospital appointment.
Unsure so will leave you with it
Lynne
Unread 05-23-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post

you dont invite them to look at the journals, they belong to THEIR children they have more right to enter information after all they are the experts on their children and will be much better informed and better at observing them. you should offer info on YOUR expertise which is child development. they should go home every weekend and in between for the experts to fill in add observations and thoughts. these experts? the parents.

planning should be done in conjunction with the results of these observations esp those done by the parents.
turn the second para around! key persons can then 'talk' to their children bout what they have been doing at home and continue this leaning in the setting
I knew inviting wasn't the right word as i know parents can look and access their childs learning journey at any time.. I've been at the setting for 2 and a half years and i've never known any parent to take their childs learning journey home.. The pre-school leader and manager don't encourage this :-(
Come to think of it...(I have my own son at the setting) I think i'm the only parent that has actually bought an observation in to be added to the learning journey from home.. Most parents just pop in at the end of a session if they wish to have a look..
Personally... i would prefer to take my son's home to look at in my own time :-)

Thankyou for your suggestions :-)