Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 03-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

cakeymakey is on a distinguished road
Default How is your competence units assessed? L3 Diploma

Hi was just wondering those who are doing the L3 Diploma how your competence units are being assessed? I see my assessor once a month and she usually just does a write up on what she has observed or noted what sort of conversation she has had with me but I am feeling that I am not making very much progress with the competence units.

Is anyone doing write-up as well to go with the competence units. I would prefer to do this but I was told I couldnt. I feel that that some of the outcomes need to have more in depth descriptions rather than general conversation.

any advice would be good thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-16-2011, 10:42 AM

Theresa1980 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Ususally any observations done by your assessor is enough to sign off certain units etc. But I also like to write a reflective account on any obs done just to make sure everything is covered!
Its better to have too much work done than it coming back from the iv with extra work to add in.
Hope this helps :)
Good luck
Unread 03-17-2011, 09:12 AM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

you dont write reflective accounts in the new diploma. They have no academic vaue and have been very clearly phased out by cache. the assessment criteria are clearly noted, the things you need to be observed are much less in the dip. it is far ore about written work and assignment based work at a much higher level than the old NVQs (ie see the assessment verbs at the back of the learner log). Unless of course you are doing it through a generic org such as c and g who seem to be offering very little guidance. The cache course is excellent
Unread 03-17-2011, 10:27 AM

Theresa1980 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
you dont write reflective accounts in the new diploma. They have no academic vaue and have been very clearly phased out by cache. the assessment criteria are clearly noted, the things you need to be observed are much less in the dip. it is far ore about written work and assignment based work at a much higher level than the old NVQs (ie see the assessment verbs at the back of the learner log). Unless of course you are doing it through a generic org such as c and g who seem to be offering very little guidance. The cache course is excellent
Im just going on what i do in my NVQ3 ccld. i didn't realise that the diploma would be any different. If the diploma is a much higher level that NVQ'S am i wasting my time doing it??? I dont want to spend all my hard word work an effort on sometging that now wont be recognised when i go for a job interview. Are both courses just based on the same level of ability?
Unread 03-17-2011, 11:56 AM

MrsD is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm nearly at the end of my Diploma (within the next month or so) and have had units signed off by using a combination of methods. I have written tasks that I have to link in with my own practice, Direct observations at my work setting and Professional discussions with my tutor
Unread 03-17-2011, 08:24 PM

thanks for this everyone. I have just had a look on CACHE site as I am doing C and G! Wow Cache is so much more organised and is really how I expected my pattern of study to be. I have finished the knowledge units by attending college but I am feeling with the competence units that I am making little or no progress and yes some of my units have been going back and forth to the IV. I did make the statement that maybe more of it needs to be written (is what I would prefer to do) but assessor said C and G didnt want it that way. Maybe she is still trying to assess in the same way as the old NVQ's!
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

derynjoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
you dont write reflective accounts in the new diploma. They have no academic vaue and have been very clearly phased out by cache.
To anyone doing diploma via C&G, the hand book says reflective accounts are accepted as evidence, although I dont think my assessor would accept them against a demonstrate criteria, maybe to back up suitable evidence recorded during an observation.

Thanks
Unread 03-21-2011, 01:03 PM

easylife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa1980 View Post
Hi,
Ususally any observations done by your assessor is enough to sign off certain units etc. But I also like to write a reflective account on any obs done just to make sure everything is covered!
Its better to have too much work done than it coming back from the iv with extra work to add in.
Hope this helps :)
Good luck
Hi, We have finished almost 16 units from 23 units and 3 assigments. We had 2 Obs done. Our assesor said that we must write reflective jornals as well. Now I am bit confused about assignment 031 ( cakymaky). any help will be appriciate
Thanks in advance
Unread 03-21-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easylife View Post
Hi, We have finished almost 16 units from 23 units and 3 assigments. We had 2 Obs done. Our assesor said that we must write reflective jornals as well. Now I am bit confused about assignment 031 ( cakymaky). any help will be appriciate
Thanks in advance
Hi what is it about 031 that you are confused about? Let me know so I can help x
Unread 03-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

pip squeak is on a distinguished road

Hi competence is all about the skills you have to carry out your work.

On the competence units reflective accounts, documents you use in your work, assessor observations, professional discussions explain and describe how you use your skills - as shown in the relevant criteria for a unit, together they are all acceptable evidence through city and guilds.

Just being able to write about something does not prove you can put these skills into day to day work.

Reflective accounts - are of little value unless you include evaluation, reflecting on your practice, how your practice is meeting policy, procedure and legislation as required by the unit you are working on.

Good luck everyone