Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

wendy bob is on a distinguished road
Default last question on this unit

any help would be great
i have got to give some examples of strategies used to deal with areas of difficulties and challenges encounted in professional practice in early years setting ive got no idea what to put does it mean unhappy parents etc x
thanks x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-21-2011, 08:10 PM

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy bob View Post
any help would be great
i have got to give some examples of strategies used to deal with areas of difficulties and challenges encounted in professional practice in early years setting ive got no idea what to put does it mean unhappy parents etc x
thanks x
Just thinking off the top of my head - twist it around and think of possible areas of difficulties, then you can think of how you will deal them.

Parents not collecting their child on time - getting later and later.

Parents with outstanding fees

Parents with a complaint i.e they claim a child has hit their child

Speaking to a parent about a concern you have about their child (you feel that the child has specific needs, and you are worried how they may accept/not accept it).

Parent has been discriminating against another parent (possibly verbally to the other parents).

How are you going to deal with these?

Well , this is when you are very grateful for having full and comprehensive policies and procedures.

When speaking to parents, if they come to you with a concern/complaint - listen - really listen, even if they start to shout, often they just want to say their piece - then if they have cause to complain or bring something up - you may be able to deal with it there and then and remember always to speak in a professional manner, do not make it personal, remember it is a concern/issue. If you are able to resolve it, do so, if not monitor the situation/deal with the concern, report back to them if needs be. Thank them for pointing it out. It doesn't matter how small a concern is - it's important for that child and their parents, and you want to assure those parents you take things seriously.

If the concern/situation is unfounded, then you must deal with it (again professionally) and explain why it is not so. Some parents question their child for a blow-by-blow account when they arrive home, and sometimes a child will give them the first thing that comes into their head, just so the parent does not keep asking them questions. If this is the case, explain symphathetically why children behave the way they do - but don't call any child a liar, they aren't lying, they often believe what they say - after all we spend alot of our time really fairy tales/fables and encourage them to make-believe.

If you need to speak to a parent whether it's because you have a concern about their child or you need to because they owe fees, are constantly late, are discriminating (verbally) another parent, you will have your policies and procedures, so i.e. with fees you may decide to hand them a letter (possibly a polite reminder) about their fees, then what follows will depend on what you do next. With the parent who is discriminating you may have to start by saying (when they are on their own, or ask quietly if you can have a word after the session/day) 'It has been brought to my attention that you have been speaking about another parent unkindly/discriminatingly. They may interject here and say 'who said, they are lying?' You just have to remember to say something such as '...I am not at liberty to say, but whether it is true or not I must remind you we are an equal opportunity setting who celebrates diversity and cultural beliefs. Remember to explain (sensitively/nicely) that you are duty bound to make sure all the children/families are treated equally, and you would do the same for their child, if you felt they needed your support.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.
Unread 04-22-2011, 10:45 AM

wendy bob is on a distinguished road

thank you so much this has really helped x