Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 06-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

louiseo is on a distinguished road
LLUK 301 explain ways of challenging parents assertively

Hi there all i want help with is this last question on LLUK 301
2.4 explain ways of challenging parents assertively and when it is appropriate to do so
so is there anyone on here that can help me plz

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-10-2012, 01:43 PM

blokey is on a distinguished road

I am struggling with this one too but I think its about how you would deal with a parent should they become over bearing or aggressive in their actions!

If you have any ideas then please let me know

Kirsty
Unread 06-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, it's about challenging discrimination, understanding why discrimination occurs and managing negativity - shouting, inappropriate language - sexualised, swearing, slang, derrogative remarks or comments, smoking/drinking onsite, not securing children in vehicles .. You could check with your setting to see how they'd recommend handling an occasion where adult aggression was involved .. maybe look for procedures as to how you'd alert colleagues and maybe identify training opportunities that offer experience for dealing with conflict, diffusion and calming situations so that you avoid any possibility of feeling you ever need to confront someone who was behaving angrily and risk escalating an incident.

http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15512
Level 2 http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13360

SCH 33 promoting equality & inclusion may have information you could reference. Researching 'solution focussed approach - search page for overcoming barriers may also help.

Strategies could involve ..
  • Remaining calm
  • Know the reason why you are about to challenge assertively
    What happened? what did you witness or what were made aware of ..
    • prejudice, bigotry, bias,
    • why was the situtation a negative or detrimental one; who was harmed/discriminated against
    • what 'labels are/were used
    • what harm is occuring - emotional, physical, neglectful, insulting
    • are laws are being broken
    • steryotypical thoughts being expressed
    • marginalisation or attitudes that demean, isolate, humiliate another individual or group
    • know it may not be vindictive/intolerance, rather it might be an action that expresses or shows lack of knowledge, is an inherited attitude or perspective, is fear, insensitivity
  • Initiate discussion
    • Direct confrontation can lead to angry exchanges, possibly causing the perpetrator to act defensively, this might cause them to become entrenched in their disciminatory behaviour. By respectfully sharing your thoughts with the perpetrator you are more likely to help that person engage with and explore the issues- hopefully reaching a new understanding.
  • Support those that have experienced discrimination
    • Remaining quiet where discrimination has happened can indicate your agreement with it.
    • By condoning discrimination/going along with it you risk damaging relationships with colleagues, the children, parents, other professionals, service providers, commiting an offence and can potentially alienate yourself from the opportunities involved with providing a positive influence in your community.
    • You can make it clear by your verbal and body language that you disagree with the discrimination, want nothing more to do with it and be able to distance yourself.
    • It can hep to know that by taking a public side with a victim of discrimination you also risk creating a situation of discrimination againt perpetrators. This is detrimental where judgements are made to condem the person rather than that person's actions - which can change.
  • Know how to report discrimination
    • The equality act 2010 makes it unlawful to discriminate on the grounds of gender, race, age, disability, sexual orientation. By upholding the aims of the act you ensure your setting and practice is inclusive and offers equality in its service.
    • What complaints procedure does the setting have in place?
    • PCAW, ACAS, Whistleblowing policy, OFSTED poster and hotline
  • Identify discrimination in the setting's environment and resources
    • can everyone move around the room with ease
    • are different cultures, abilities reflected in toys
    • are activities planned to explore contrasting lifestyles
Hth best wishes

Level 3 handbook on amazon.co.uk
the cost of ad blockers

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 06-11-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: edited
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:25 AM

blokey is on a distinguished road

Thank you this really did help!!

I have had a couple of weeks from this unit LLUK301 as feeling a bit like a failure as just cant get my head round this unit. I have questions 3.3 and 3.4 still to do and head is hurting if anyone can help really appreciate it. Explain and demonstrate strategies for supporting parents to meet the needs of a specified age group of children

All the best
Kirsty
Unread 01-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

laurenk94 is on a distinguished road

need help on this 2.4 explain ways of challenging parents assertively and when it is appropriate to do so. I really cant get my head around this question my tutor said ... Think about how you talk to a parent (if needed) and how you would need to do this confidently and with knowledge. but still don't no and my boss said think about safeguarding issue managers deal ... but still cant get my head around it please can some one help me :(
Unread 02-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, a warm welcome to silkysteps.

What sort of situations have you encountered that involve a parent discriminating?

The equality act 2010 on adviceguide.org.uk

Have you ever heard, seen or been involved with situations that exampled how boys are better than girls, girls are better than boys. Maybe only girls wear pink, only boys wear blue, dolls are for girls or cars are for boys - stereotyping and gender discrimination

Parent requests a child not uses some of the dressing up resources
Parent requests adult influence over a child's choice of friendships
Parent asks for their child to be excluded from an activity
Skin colour is used negatively in conversation.
Negative observations are made about individual children's development

How would you stand up for each of those individual children's rights, find out the reasons for the discrimination and politely challenge the parents by using language and knowledge that lets them know we are all unique and entitled to participate?

Who supports you in this role? a manager, supervisor, named colleague?

Hth xx
the cost of ad blockers