Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 07-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

gracygrey is on a distinguished road
Help SOS It's all going wrong

Evening everyone,

Sorry to use this to rant but I was just settling into my coursework and practical work at the setting but it is all going a bit pear shaped. Basically all barr one member of staff has quit so they are employing 3 others to cover as none of them can do full time hours - this results in me being demoted from my paid play assistant role and dropping down to purely a volunteer for 16 hours a week which I am not sure I can afford to do . We are a very small rural setting and both my children have been there and I have been heavily involved since the get go. Could anyone advise if for my course, as purely a volunteer there to complete the course, I would have to do most of the things I currently do like prepare snack, do washing up, change children (I am CRB'd obvioulsy), set up outdoor play area, clean floors/toilets etc.. I appreciate it sounds like sour grapes but even though I have no qualification yet I have more experience than some that they have employed and I know all the families, children and the settings running inside and out and I have given them above and beyond workwise even doing website/leaflets/shopping/IT support etc..
I certainly don't want to quit my course, although it seemed an easy option, but I do not want them to use me for anything that they have paid staff employed to do.

any advice would be great

thank you

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

tinajpatterson is on a distinguished road

sounds like you a doing a great job just have faith in yourself you can do it and we can help i am almost complete so ask if you need help
Unread 07-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

midge99 is on a distinguished road

hi what reason have they given for demoting you to volunteer? Did you have a contract? Surely they can't just finish you without a good reason? Maybe it's best not to rock the boat too much if you need to use them for getting your course finished. They don't sound like nice bosses!!!!! As a volunteer i'd have thought you could refuse to do things if you want to????? Again though if you need to be there for your course????
Hope you get sorted
Sheila
Unread 07-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Hi
Surely as a volunteer you shouldn't be able to change nappies, if we have volunteers then we do not exspect them to take children to the toilet or change nappies even if they are CRB checked.

you have rights as an individual and i think if i were you i would be looking for another setting to volunteer in. Most settings would accept volunteers especially when they are completing a course and you may find out that your new setting might employ you after your course or when a vacancy is available.

Hope everything sorts it's self out and keeping going. you might be infront of me with course work but the same as Tina if you need any help just ask. only just starting EYMP'S so if i can be of any help before them please ask.

Lynne