Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 03-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Amanda Adams is on a distinguished road
Mail - News 318k05

Hi there

This forum is quite addictive and helps me feel sane!!

I am working through my optional unit 318, specifically behavioural modes associated with play. My tutor pointed me in the direction of Helen Bilton but am really struggling to source any information. Am trying to get my head around it - any suggestions??

Amanda

Last edited by Amanda Adams : 03-28-2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: need help- PLEASE!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

bookpixie is on a distinguished road

hi i am struggerling with something similar at the moment my question is
describe the behavior modes associated with play and this is what i have found and elaborated on
play is
personally directed
where the activity and intent is under the direction of children and young people
intrinsically motivated
in a secure context
spontaneous
goalless
Unread 06-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Children learn through play, so you could use your eyfs pack and read the effective practice/planning and resource (well all columns really) and it will help you see the development stages in each section.

if they (child/children) are completing a jigsaw puzzle, look at PSR& Numeracy, imagination &, imagnative play such as playing 'going to the shops' and other role play, can be found under creative or communities in KUW.
When children are playing in the mud and looking at a worm - look at exploration and investigation under KUW and so.

To add to Helen Bilton, a nice book is:

'Understanding Children's Play' by Jennie Lindon

'Play, Learning and yhe Early Childhood Curriculum' by Elizabeth Wood &
Jane Attfield.

and if you want to look at play outside
'The Outdoor Classroom' by Hilary Harriman.

.... theories of play - schema etc it depends on how much you have to study/write , the books above look at some or you may want to read a book on Piaget, Vygotsky, Isaacs etc
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:48 AM

Default 318k05

Hi there - I spent ages going around and around with this one and got very frustrated. Tutor mentioned Helen Bilton so trauled the Internet not sure of what I was looking for.

This is what I have produced -short and not even sure if it's right - unmarked....

Personally directed - Children have been asked to join in with activity such as circle time etc.
Intrinsically motivated- An activity or task is sought out by them for their own personal gain -book, puzzle etc.
In secure context - A child is safe to play in an environment that poses not threat to them. They can play out emotions etc in home corner etc with little friends and practitioners alike.
Spontaneous - Play without thinking. A scooter lies on the floor - they run to it and ride it.
Goalless - When they play without reason or reward. Bikes, scooters, climbing equipment maybe. Allowed to play freely.
Where the content and intent is left to children and young people - Play is controlled by their own interactions. Our setting uses a 5x5x5 theory where children can explore and play freely (within health and safety boundaries). Very interesting to watch - some fantastic interactions in woodland setting with one child making birds nests with sticks and leaves. Adults watch from a distance with v.minimal intervention.

Not sure but going for it anyway - wish me luck!!
Struggle sourcing information sometimes and books are great but also expensive. Yes we have libraries but sometimes with limited resources. How do you guts access books etc? Are there publishing on internet etc??
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:47 AM

Default 318k05

Actually on reflection.....

Personally directed may link to when they approach a practitioner or friend for example. I may be about the play cycle (Gordon Sturrock and Perry Else 1998) - responding to play cues, holding play frames etc -the natural play cycle.

That actually sounds more like it1 light bulb moment when walking dog!:idea:
Unread 06-03-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Adams View Post
Actually on reflection.....

Personally directed may link to when they approach a practitioner or friend for example. I may be about the play cycle (Gordon Sturrock and Perry Else 1998) - responding to play cues, holding play frames etc -the natural play cycle.

That actually sounds more like it1 light bulb moment when walking dog!:idea:
It's really difficult , not knowing anything about your course, units and/or the context of the questions, it's very often guesswork with the answer - and I just hope it helps you to get wherever you are suppose to.
Helen Bilton has written a few books on outdoor play - so perhaps your tutor wanted you to concentrate on that area.
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:48 PM

Default unit 318 -plan for and support self-directed play

Hi there

Yes, you are right, everybodys circumstances are different and tutors/assessors are all very different. I am a Nanny and volunteer at a nursery two morning sessions a week to get funding for the course and am in college for 2hrs every 2nd week. The nvq3 (skipped level 2 as have city n guilds equivilent- mature student) has been a slog but worth it.

Who knows what assessor looks for -just research knowledge specification as well as possible and try to prepare for perfomance criteria ie link knowledge with 'doing' as much as possible but put my heart into it :)

Anyway handed a huge pile of work into assessor today and the above mentioned with reflective addition and all seems ok.

I couldn't do without silkysteps because so many practitioners out there helping xx
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:23 PM

It seems you are doing lots of research/theory, and gaining practical knowledge. It might seem a slog at the moment, but it will all come together - usually after you've finished your course, when you have relaxed and no longer have those dreaded deadlines.

I think it's doubly hard for those such as yourself trying to link theory into practice when you are only attending two sessions - so keep your eyes peeled, your ears open and enjoy yourself! Good Luck.