Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 05-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

TJS9 is on a distinguished road
Thank you CYPW level 3 CYPOP 7 Promote Creativity and Creative Learning

================================================== =======

Step by step help for CYPOP 7 creativity and creative learning

Develop a programme of change for children's creative development.doc

================================================== =======

Hi everyone,

I have completed some of this optional unit. I was wondering if anyone else is doing it and if they have any further research other than Penny Tassoni's book on criteria

1.2 - Explain the current theoretical approaches to creativity and creative learning in early childhood.

I have Caroline Sharps (NFER) Developing young children's creativity: what we can learn from research.

Thank you lots!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-13-2011, 12:13 PM

sara31 is on a distinguished road

hi i put this to unit 32 1. 2 Creativity is about expressing our selves. It’s about trying new things and exploring.

Creativity involves being imaginative and original. Creativity is about problem solving.

Creativity is often more about the process, rather than the actual product. The creative process is useful for many reasons, developing confidence in ourselves, developing good relationships, finding out what talents and strengths we have. The creative process helps us by teaching us about who we are what we love and what we can give to others.

Being involved in creative activities is fun and absorbing for children. It suggests it helps children to have positive experiences and develop important characteristics and abilities like;

: Appreciation of different ways of looking at the world and surroundings.
: Collaboration- being keen to work together.
: Communication and language - developing better communication through talking, listening writing or pictures.
: Concentration- focusing on what they are doing.
: Developing good relationships – working together and making new friends.
: Discipline – developing self control through a requirement to practice (for example such as playing a musical instrument, needs practice)
: Emotional intelligence – being able to express emotions.
: Empathy – understanding what it can feel like being someone else (like being someone else through role play, drama activities)
: Imagination – bringing ideas to life.
: Independence of thought – discovering things for themselves.
: Interaction – being involved in a group and having peer support.
: Physical activity – participating in activities that encourage movement
: Positive emotion – having fun and enjoying what they are doing.
: Problem solving – being able to explore different solutions.

These characteristics and abilities have shown to lead to a sense of purpose, achievement, confidence, development of strengths, talents and interest, self respect and a sense of belonging.
hope this helps
Unread 07-17-2011, 11:03 PM

TJS9 is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much x
Unread 01-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

mrsnoah is on a distinguished road

Hi 3.2 monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of aspects of the environment in supporting young childrens creativity and creative learning

if so this might help:

When evaluating an environment to assess its effectiveness in supporting creativity in children you have to ask yourself a few questions. These include:

• Is it bright and welcoming?
• Are there displays on the wall that are age appropriate, bright, appealing and relevant to the children’s work?
• Is the children’s work displayed?
• Is there a good variety of equipment and is it accessible to the children?
• Are the children engaged and is that engagement sustained?
• Does the environment inspire you?

4.2 is this the question about supporting others?
if so I wrote about how I help the children - demonstrating activities, showing them how to hold scissors or paintbrushes correctly.

I also wrote about how I help other adults in my setting - it's quite difficult to help with this one because it's about what you do.
Unread 02-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

laurajo is on a distinguished road

this is what i put for this unit hope it helps

Promote creativity and creative learning in young children
1.1 – Analyse the differences between creative learning and creativity.

Creative learning is about how children are actively involved in their own learning and ability to make choices and decisions. This can be achieved through providing a creative environment allowing exploration through play and praising creative efforts.
Creativity is about risk taking and making connections, allowing children to explore and express themselves through a variety of media or materials including, dance, music, making things, drawing, painting and make believe and to make new things emerge as a result. Being creative is strongly linked to play and can emerge through a child being absorbed in their own actions and ideas.

1.2 – Explain current theoretical approaches to creativity and creative learning in early childhood.

Most theories of child development view young children as highly creative with a natural tendency to fantasize, experiment and explore their physical and conceptual environment.
Understanding of creative learning differs from those who see creativity as freedom to express ourselves to those who link it to self-discipline, practise and crafts.

Creativity is more about the process rather than the end product and this creative
process is useful for many reasons, developing confidence, developing good relationships, finding out what talents and strengths we have and teaches us about who we are and what we love and what we can give to others.

Creative learning is seen to enable social skills, team work and shared problem solving through collaborative partnerships.

The ‘Creative Partnerships’ programme was set up in 2002 by the government in response to the influential report ‘all our futures’. They use the term ‘creative learning’ to try and sum up their education programme. They believe creative partnerships can help liberate the creativity of everyone involved by engaging them in fresh approaches to learning through collaboration.

They feel collaborative working has these key characteristics:
• Motivation for learning
• Bringing the curriculum to life
• Greater involvement in decision making
• New ways for learners to engage in a subject.

The QCA (creativity, find it and promote it 2005), promotes creativity as an integral part of all national curriculum subjects and identifies characteristics of creative learning as
• Questioning and challenging conventions and assumptions.
• Making inventive connections and associating things that aren’t usually related.
• Envisaging what might be: imagining seeing things in mind’s eye.
• Trying alternative and fresh approaches, keeping options open.
• Reflecting critically on ideas, action and outcomes.

These characteristics and abilities have shown to lead to a sense of purpose, achievement of strengths, talents and interests, self-respect and a sense of belonging.

1.3 – critically analyse how creativity and creative learning can support young children’s emotional, social, intellectual, communication and physical development.

The key characteristics in creativity can support young children’s development in a number of ways. Emotionally they learn how to manage frustrations if a project isn’t going to plan or can feel happy and proud and a sense of achievement when it is completed.

Socially children can build up self-confidence by working alongside or with others, creating something to share and thereby making friends.

Intellectually they are learning about problem solving, numeracy and developing their reading and writing skills.

Children’s ability to communicate with peers and adults develops through creative play as well as their overall speech and listening skills.

Physically, creativity can help develop fine motor skills by children using materials such as crayons, paints and sticking. Participating in movement activities such as dance or drama (role play) also enhances the overall physical development of a child.

For example, during a cooking activity children are learning many skills through this creative process, they may feel happy and excited about cresting their own food. They are sociable by working with adults to assist them and cooking for their friends or family members. By following instructions either written or verbal and measuring quantities they are being allowed to develop intellectually. Knowing when to ask for help and starting a dialogue around what they are doing and using can help develop communication skills especially listening and taking direction. Finally all the mixing, chopping, kneading and picking up small cut up pieces are physically developing the fine motor skills, hand eye co-ordination and building hand and arm muscles.

2.2 –Explain why young children require extended and unhurried periods of time to develop their creativity.

An unhurried period of creativity gives children time to explore and experiment with materials and use them in their own way. It also allows children to do their best work by moving from popular to more original ideas and being able to come back to it at a later date to finish.

3.1 – Explain the feature of an environment that supports creativity and creative learning.

A creative environment needs to allow children easy access to different materials and be able to move these from one place to another. It is not just about putting out paints and paper and encouraging artistic skills, but allowing the freedom to explore the space and materials around them. If children are allowed to place furniture where they want to or move things from outdoors, indoors or vice versa they will start to make connections between things more easily.
Providing opportunities by making the environment stimulating, safe and rewarding will encourage the children to learn through play.

4.1–Evaluate and reflect on own practice in promoting creativity and creative thinking.

The focus of the session was discovering sounds and music. The age range was under one yea and the parents stayed with the babies.

I placed different musical instruments in the space for the children to explore. Some of these were bells, maracas drums, tambourine, triangles as well as more unusual things such as dream catchers, foil blankets and bags filled with beans, rice and other materials that rattle. For the small babies I had wooden rattles and toys that had bells in them and crinkly materials.
In another area I placed pasta in a tray for the babies to discover a play with. Making sounds by crunching it, mixing it, scooping it and dropping it with their hands. The parents used the pasta to make shakers by placing it in a folded paper plat and decorating it.

I feel the group ran well and the babies really enjoyed exploring the different sounds. I took great satisfaction from watching how they made accidental sounds with things they hadn’t seem before and how their natural curiosity allowed them to work out how that sound was mage and develop them into bigger, louder or longer noises sometimes with two instruments at once.

The pasta wasn’t played with as much as I had thought it would be which surprised me as in the past it was greatly received. I think that the babies weren’t engage in it enough as once they had felt it and crunched it a bit there wasn’t much else for them to do.

In the future if I was going to use natural materials for sound making I would use more than just pasta, maybe rice or couscous as well. I would put these into shallow trays so the babies could make marks with their fingers whilst swirling it around. I would also provide different containers and tools such as buckets, bottles, spoons and jugs so the babies could drop the pasta in, hear the sound it makes as it drops, pick up the container and shake it, pour it back out. Use the spoon to scoop and stir and listen to the sounds this makes. Not only would this extend the sound making play it would also encourage mark making in the rice and hand-eye co-ordination by dropping into containers and also help babies develop the pincer control with their fingers.

I really enjoyed running this session and learnt that even young babies can get a lot out of playing and exploring instruments. I also learnt that just putting out materials such as pasta, isn’t always enough to engage children in playing with it and that you sometimes need to provide extra tools for them to be able to be more creative.
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:54 PM

fozzy is on a distinguished road
help please with criteria 4.3

Hi sorry not too sure how to post a new thread but it’s a question about this unit so hope you don’t mind if I ask for help on

4.3 develop a programme of chance to the environment to enhance creativity and create learning giving a justification and expected outcomes for each area of change.

My assessor said we can do a professional discussion but I just can’t think what to say. Please help me.
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, this is the link for the Hodder book chapter cypop 7 also known as unit 082 or unit 47 .

About creativity on educationscotland.gov.uk

Actual CYPOP 7 unit on OCR.org.uk

1.1 Analyse the differences between creative learning and creativity
thread link: The difference between creativity and creative learning

1.2 Explain current theoretical approaches to creativity and creative learning in early childhood

Theories for creativity - Individual theorists to study for the cypw creativity optional are
Please check with your tutor to see how many you're expected to research
  • Edward De bono - six thinking hats
  • Graham Wallas - 5 stages of a creative process
  • Robert Sternberg
  • Howard Gardner
1.3 Critically analyse how creativity and creative learning can support young children’s emotional, social, intellectual, communication and physical development
What is emotional development - how does being creative support it
What is social development - how does creativity support it
What is intellectual development - how does thinking and learning creatively support it
What is communication and how can creativity and creative learning support it
What is physical development - how does creativity support it
Consider how children observe and take part in dance - role play - expressive movement - Art - design
Recall what grips are: pincer, palmer, locomotor movement where whole body travels, fine and gross motor skills.

2.1 Demonstrate in own practice how to promote creativity and creative learning Consider how these areas are promoted in your setting or settings

Promoting creativity and creative learning may include:
• developing a child's imagination and their opportunities for imaginative play
• traditional creative arts
• music, dance and movement
• areas of learning such as mathematics, problem solving and exploration
• ICT

2.2 Explain why young children require extended and unhurried periods of time to develop their creativity

http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14112

Other useful threads that have been posted:
www.ted.com research Ken Robinson - recommended for CYPOP 30 reading
http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13019
http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15092

4.3 Develop a programme of change to the environment to enhance creativity and creative learning giving a justification and expected outcomes for each area of change

This example action plan is for undertaking a 'programme of change project. Programme of change can be larger scale where you are an established member of a setting's team and you are looking at bettering children's overall experience with the creative activities and resources in the setting or smaller where you are in a temporary placement and you've have identified an area where children would benefit from more change - rotating resources to mark make on an easel for eg.

Social pedagogy, creativity and the new early years FS (2012) Expressive arts and design learning area

Supporting children's creativity through conversation on amazon

Sustained shared thinking as introduced through EPPE project pg5

REPEY - Researching Effective Pedagogy in the Early Years

A creative approach to early years book preview and full title on Amazon - Creative activities for the early years

http://www.demos.co.uk/publications/born-creative-

==========================
If this has prooved useful in any way please please consider supporting the site with a donation amount of your choice - for each support submitted you'll recieve an activity download that you can use in your practice with children and know that work will continue to support fellow colleagues in their study - supporting silkysteps
==========================

Best wishes
the cost of ad blockers

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 04-29-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added link
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:13 AM

Stitsophrenic is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to give this thread a little 'bump', as I know I am not the only one struggling with this unit and this thread has really helped me! Thank you!
Unread 04-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

discod is on a distinguished road

why do my questions vary from other peoples ?? My CYPOP7 1.1 reads...
1.1-Explain evidence, approaches and theories about the benefits of creativity for the wellbeing of children and young people.

what is this the same as on the above answers please...confused :(
Unread 04-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

mrsnoah is on a distinguished road

Hi discod - there are 2 different creativity units - one concerns young children(i.e. early years) and the other refers to children and young people - the questions are completely different so your nor confused its just very confusing!!