Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 06-05-2016, 09:17 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Jennyj101 is on a distinguished road
Default Biological and environmental factors - the effect and impact on children's development

Some help please.. I have been looking at this section for the last week and keep putting it off then coming back to it.. I get what biological and environmental factors are but cannot seem to put it into words.. Can someone please help get me started?? I need to define the terms Biological and Environmental.
I then need to Analyse the impact of these factors on children's development. The impact of the stage of development on children's learning? Then describe factors which affect children's development in the short term and long term?
I seem to be banging my head against a brick wall on this...

Any help is much appreciated.. Thank you

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi do you have access to this level 3 classroom based learner handbook? pages 347+ explain the impact on age and stage of development, short and long term factors.

Biological factors impact on the level of support a child may need, and involve genetic causes - where a faulty gene leads to a disabling condition,or developmental causes - something goes wrong when the foetus is growing in the womb.

Environmental, external factors are when a child contracts an illness, accidents, life experiences, lifestyle choices and social social disadvantage. Developmental factors include rubella, thalidomide, toxoplasmosis, irradiation, parental mental illness, poor housing, long term unemployment, poor financial and social skills.

Short-term needs:
  • and illness or injury requiring hospitalisation
  • temporary hearing impairement
  • is being bullied, or is bullying
  • home life is disrupted by poverty, homelessness, domestic abuse, alcohol, drug abuse, parental mental or physical health problems.
  • being looked after by a local authority
  • being new to the country
  • not speaking English
  • having specific dietary needs
  • being highly gifted and the level of challenge being offeredspecific reading and writing problems
  • bereavement

Long-term needs

• a disability caused by a genetic/chromosomal defect eg. Down's syndrome
  • physical difficulty with movement eg. cerebral palsy
  • a visual or hearing impairment
  • a specific language disorder
  • learning or attention difficulties such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder ADHD
  • a chronic or a debilitating illness
Hth
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 06-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Jennyj101 is on a distinguished road

This is a great help, thank you so much Ruthierhyme :)
I don't have the book you have linked in, I may ask around at work if anybody has one I could borrow.

Quick question - do you have anything I can add into 'the impact of the stage of development on children's learning?'

Many thanks x
Unread 06-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, these quotes are from Unit 1 of the pearsonschoolsandfecolleges sample chapter

Page 8: How different factors can affect children’s learning and development

Children’s learning and development may be affected by a wide range of factors. Their background, their health and the environment in which they are growing up will all have an impact, as each will affect all areas of development. You should know how children may be affected so that you can encourage them to develop and reach their potential.

Page 11: The effect of stage of development

Children’s learning and development will be affected by the stage of development they have reached. They will need to pass the milestones in sequence, although not necessarily at exactly the same age.

For example, learning to walk may occur at around the age of one year, but some children walk at ten months, and others not until sixteen months.

If you open the 'look inside' option on amazon and search for biological, click the link for page 348 & 349 where the information will also help.

Best wishes
the cost of ad blockers