Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 05-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

libby1966 is on a distinguished road

hi lyn c im interested in the policies and procedures so any help will be greatly received

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Topaze is on a distinguished road

I found this link helpful as well : https://www.safeguardingchildren.co....cb-procedures/
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

VickyHall is on a distinguished road

This pdf. has been a huge help to me on my safe guarding unit. Enjoy xx http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/safeguard_chpt3.pdf
Unread 01-31-2014, 12:27 PM

JadeW92 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am on this question too. Im new to this site but helped me out lots during my communication module.

Am I getting confused or is this just about their roles once they are aware of a child being abused or harmed?

Thanks
Jade :)
Unread 03-13-2017, 04:49 PM

martddon is on a distinguished road

hello jenna, i am also doing the course , i was wondering if you can help me with the unit 3 ...2.7 question is :Explain how to access support in situations that are outside the expertise, experience, role and responsibility of the practitioner. thanks
Unread 05-04-2018, 04:27 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

student/help is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn c View Post
Hi i had 1.1 signed off think it was to do with child protection course but have allready done a sheet of legislation. not sure if i have to do it again so was going to speak to my tutor. if i'm right its about current legislation which would be things like: childrens act 1989, childrens act 2004, working together to safeguard children 2006 (got most of the above from there andsussex child protection and safeguarding procedures 2006 vol 1 & 2) crb checks. Also all polices and procedures e.g. missing person, health and safety, child protection etc

I put this at the bottom of the above so will do a bit of cross referencing.
A child/young person has the rights to be protected here is some of the relevant legislation that all professionals should abide by:

Children Act 1989- A child’s welfare is paramount. When making decisions about a child’s upbringing they shall not make an order unless this is better for the child than making no order at all. Every effort should be made to preserve the child’s home life and family links. The child’s wishes and feelings must be assessed by the courts.
Parental responsibility – which is defined as the rights, duties, powers and responsibility which by law a parent is responsible for.
Children Act 2004 - together to safeguard children:
One of the new laws was physical punishment, making it a criminal offence to hit a child if it causes mental harm or leaves lasting marks on the skin.
Every child matters outcomes:
• Be healthy.
• Stay safe.
• Enjoy and achieve.
• Make a positive contribution.
• Economic well being.

*** Offenders Act 1997- requires offenders to notify the police of their names and addresses. (known as the *** offenders register.

Sexual Offences Act 2003- covers new legislation relating to offences against children such as :
• Abuse of position of trust.
• Trafficking (also covers uk citizens whilst abroad)
• Monitoring of *** offenders (*** offenders act 1997)
Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004 : There was a loop hole in other legislation that allowed defendants in murder or manslaughter cases, could blame each other for the death of a child or vulnerable adult. This is now the responsibility for members of a household where they are allowing a child or vulnerable adult to be at significant risk of harm.
United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child 1989 – this includes the right from protection from abuse, the right for the individual to express their views and listen to them. Disabled children should have the right to be cared for and services put into place either if they are living at home or they live away from home.

The Education Act 2002- this requires governing bodies, local education Authority and further education to protect, safeguard and promote the welfare of children.

Adoption and Children Act 2002- amends the children’s act 1989 and now includes “harm” associated with witnessing domestic violence.

Don't know whether this helps or not i just highlighted things that had changed from old legislation.

Thankyou for replying. i have redone this so if you would like a copy let me know and i will send it to you. I have to hand in this unit in a couple of weeks to so if i can help in any kind let me know.
Hi could you please tell me where u got theses legislations from, which website? as I'm on the same unit and need the same, but don't want to copy, I m struggling with this course its so hard
Unread 01-24-2020, 05:43 PM

Katojigfly is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this is of any use but here you are anyway.....

• a child or young person has gone missing from care
Social Services
To provide support for vulnerable children. Responsible for co-ordinating and implementing an inter-agency child protection plan to safeguard children.
To make enquiries to enable them to decide what action they should take to safeguard or promote the child or young person’s welfare.
Deal with courts when a child or young person is thought to be in immediate danger.
Act as a principle point of contact for children where there are child protection concerns
Responsible for co-ordinating the assessment of the child or young person’s needs, the parent’s capacity to keep the child safe and the wider family circumstances.
Have arrangements in place so that they may be contacted directly by parents of family members seeking help, concerned friends and neighbours and by professionals and statutory and voluntary agencies.

NSPCC
This is a voluntary organisation and it has placed upon it “the duty to ensure an appropriate and speedy response in all cases where children are alleged to be at risk of abuse or neglect in any form”.
Have a responsibility to identify and prevent cruelty to children.
Contributes to multi-agency training and particularly multi-disciplinary training.
The NSPCC is authorised to initiate proceedings to protect children under the terms of the Children Act 1989.
Operates a helpline service advising adults and professionals on safeguarding matters and where necessary, liaises with local statutory agencies to refer children at risk of abuse.
Operates Child Line which provides a telephone helpline across the UK for all children and young people who needs advice about abuse, bullying and other concerns.
Although all the above may be involved when a child or young person has been abused or harmed, this may not always be the case for every individual. Below is a brief outline of the investigation process in which the agencies above take part and when.
Consultation – Discussion and advice on child protection concerns.
Referrals – Formal requests to make child protection enquiries on behalf of a child or young person who may be suffering. Initial Assessment – Record/file checks to clarify if a child or young person is in need of protection. This involves a consultation with parents/carers, family and the child/young person. However, if a child is put at further risk by professionals consulting their family, the family is not informed of the initial assessment.
Strategy discussion – Whenever there is reasonable cause to suspect that a child/young person is suffering, or is likely to suffer, significant harm, a strategy discussion will take place which will involve local authority children’s social care, the police, health services and other bodies where appropriate (e.g. school) and the referring agency. The strategy discussion should be convened and led by local authority children’s social care and those participating should be sufficiently senior so that they are able to contribute to the discussion and make decisions on behalf of their own agencies.
Child Protection Enquiry – Social services, the police and possible the NSPCC work jointly to investigate and assess the need for child protection.
Child Protection Conference – If the reported concerns are confirmed by the enquiry, social services may call a child protection conference. This is a multi-agency meeting to agree whether any action is necessary. Those who have a relevant contribution to make may include at this stage:
the child or his/her representative
the child’s family members
foster carers
residential care staff
local authority children’s social care staff who have been involved in an assessment of the child and the family
Professionals involved with the child/young person e.g. school staff, health visitors, paediatricians, and early year’s staff
Professionals involved with the parents or other family members e.g. family support services, GP’s and mental health.
Professionals with expertise in the particular type of harm suffered by the child/young person
Professionals involved in the investigation e.g. the police
NSPCC or other voluntary organisations who are involved
Local authority legal services
The conference may agree at this point to put the child/young person’s name on the child protection register.
Child Protection Plan – This plans the services to be provided in the future to keep the child/young person safe and to reduce or remove any risks.
Review – Regular follow-up meetings to assess progress and review needs and to decide on deregistration if the child/young person is deemed safe.
It is essential, at all times, that organisations who are involved when a child/young person has been abused or harmed, work together effectively so that the interests of the child is met and so that each individual can contribute to supporting the child’s safety and well-being.

Health Visitor/Midwives
Midwives and health visitors are well placed to identify risk factors to a child during pregnancy, birth and early years
Identify children at risk of significant harm by being alert to parent’s attitudes and behaviours during pregnancy and early parenthood which give rise for concern
Monitor children’s development and identify if there is a reason for a child failing to thrive
Notify social services if concerns are raised during the antenatal period about the future of the unborn child and they believe the child may be at risk from significant harm, so that a pre-birth child protection case conference can be considered.

GP
Know when and how to refer a child/young person to social services when they are concerned about abuse, neglect or its likelihood.
Be informed immediately when other members of the primary health care team become concerned about the welfare of a child/young person.
Discuss their concerns with colleagues who have experience in child protection matters where there is clinical uncertainty.
Share information with social services when enquiries are being made.
Attend child protection conferences and make available relevant information about a child and its family.
As employers, GP’s are responsible for their staff and must ensure that practice nurses, practice managers, receptionists and any other staff who they employ, are given child protection training.

Police
The police have a duty and responsibility to investigate criminal offences committed against children and young people.
To investigate whether a crime has been committed, identify those responsible and secure evidence for any criminal proceedings.
Liaise with social services when an offence against a child/young person has been committed.
They have emergency powers to enter premises and to ensure the immediate protection of children and young people who are believed to be suffering, or at risk of suffering, significant harm.
Officers attending domestic violence incidents should be aware of the effect of such violence on any child or young person within the household.
Make sure they handle all investigations of child abuse with sensitivity.
Have access to information through IMPACT Nominal Index (INI) which enables them to share information quickly and efficiently with other forces.

School
All schools and colleges have a pastoral responsibility towards their pupils and should take all reasonable steps to ensure that a child/young person’s welfare is safeguarded and their safety is preserved.
Have their own policies and procedures in place for safeguarding children and young people.
Be able to identify children/young people who are suffering, or likely to suffer, significant harm.
Create and maintain a safe environment for children and young people.
Have a child protection policy that sets out the procedures that should be followed whenever there are concerns about a child/young person.
A schools child protection policy should also address how children will be made aware of risks, how children will be helped to recognise risks and how they will be given the skills to cope through the use of the preventative curriculum.
Trained to recognise and notice outwards signs of possible abuse or neglect.
Refer any concerns to the designated child protection officer within their setting, who in turn would report to social services where necessary.
Play a role in assisting social services by referring concerns and providing information which will contribute to child protection investigations.
Liaise with social services where there are concerns about abuse or neglect.

Psychology
Review, gather and evaluate situations as to why, how, when the child or young person became at risk/harmed/abused.
Counselling to allow a child or young person to open up about their abuse/harm.
Provide psychological evaluations on both the child and parent/carers.
Recommendations on whether the child should have psychological treatment.
Recommendations for other services that would help create a safe environment for the child or young person.

The role of a psychologist is that of a professional expert who strives to maintain an unbiased, objective stance.
HOSPITAL SERVICES
Need to be alert to signs and symptoms of abuse/neglect/harm.
Conscious of parents/carers who visit different hospitals.
Conscious of parents/carers changing their version of events of an injury or if the child or young person’s version of events is different.
Notify the child/young person’s GP immediately of any visits to an A&E department when a child is 5 years or under or with children up to the age of 18 where there is cause for concern.

PAEDIATRICIANS
Examine children or young people believed to have been abused.
Identify any other medical needs the child/young person may have.
Give evidence in court in criminal and/or care proceedings.
Know how to gather, collate and present evidence.
Understand the needs of abused children.
Undertake and supervise appropriate child protection training.