Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 04-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Jenna is on a distinguished road
Default Whistleblowing - evaluate ways in which concerns about poor practice can be reported

Hi guys, im a bit confused about this question..

Evaluate ways in which concerns about poor practice can be reported whilst ensuring that whistleblowers and those whose practice or behaviour is being questioned are protected?

I know how whistleblowers are protected, and have written about that.. but how are the people who are actually being questioned protected? Cant find any info anywhere on it?

------------------------------------------------
Page 121 of this level 3 handbook an amazon.co.uk search inside the book for 'whistle blowing' and click to page 120

In order to evaluate this you will need your setting/placement's whistle blowing policy so that you make sure you know the different ways you can report any concerns you have about others practice ie. to your mentor, supervisor or manager, ofsted, NSPCC, PCAW or the police.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Hi

yeah, still confused on all of this really, not sure now if i've done any of it correct. i just wrote about what the whistleblower does, how she does it and what will happen. Writing things like - Write your concerns down giving background details, history, names, dates and places if you can. The whistle blower should think hard about what is worrying them and why. etc think i might have given a description instead.

Think your right about the accused but surely they have some rights maybe-

To a fair investigation.
To have his or hers version of what happened.
Confidentaility.
If the accused is found guilty depending on what was done to whether they can keep their job (maybe re train in the area of concerns)
And what if they are found not guilty (sounds like a court appearance but couldn't think of any other words lol). Emotional stress, social excluding (if things get out). thats just my thoughts but again really struggling with the whole unit.
Don't know whether it helps.
Unread 04-18-2011, 11:09 AM

I agree, im so confused.
Just wondering if this is right about reporting concerns.. would u be able to tell me?

The procedure to follow if an employee wishes to raise a concern is as follows:

If an employee has a concern about malpractice, they can be raised verbally or in writing and should include the names of individuals against whom the allegations are made, the background, the nature of the malpractice that is alleged with relevant dates and the reasons for the concern.

Their concerns should be raised first with their Line manager. However, if the disclosure concerns them, the employee should write to the Chief Executive or the HR Manager.
Disclosures involving the Chief Executive should be raised with the Chair of the Board. Disclosures concerning a member of the senior management team (SMT) should be raised with the Chief Executive via the employee’s line manager.
If the concern is regarding the HR Manager, the matter should then be raised with the employee’s line manager or a member of SMT.
All receiving managers have a responsibility to act on the concerns raised in accordance with The Standards Board for England’s Whistleblowing Policy and Procedure.

The Head of Legal will determine whether a concern constitutes a disclosure or whether it should be dealt with under another procedure (the employee will be informed of this). If the matter is dealt with under the Whistle blowing policy then the employee will be informed of the name of the investigating manager and how they can be contacted.
The receiving manager will always inform the employee in writing of the process to be followed.

An employee who raises a concern and is not satisfied with the final outcome or action proposed may appeal against the decision to a more senior manager within the Standards Board. However, if the employee still remains dissatisfied they can raise the matter further by contacting an outside agency such as, the National Audit Office or the Communities and Local Government.
Unread 04-18-2011, 11:21 AM

Okay, i think i've answered the question...but im really not sure. I'll copy and paste what i've put below and see what you think... i think i've written far too much though. If u wish to take any of my notes feel free to do so :)

The Public Interest Disclosure Act was introduced in 1999 to give greater protection to whistleblowers. It tells us which disclosures can be protected, the circumstances in which such disclosures are protected and the people who may be protected.
The Standards Board for England’s Whistleblowing Policy and Procedure, are set out, in line with the Act.

The procedure to follow if an employee wishes to raise a concern is as follows:

• If an employee has a concern about malpractice, they can be raised verbally or in writing and should include the names of individuals against whom the allegations are made, the background, the nature of the malpractice that is alleged with relevant dates and the reasons for the concern.

• Their concerns should be raised first with their Line manager. However, if the disclosure concerns them, the employee should write to the Chief Executive or the HR Manager. Disclosures involving the Chief Executive should be raised with the Chair of the Board. Disclosures concerning a member of the senior management team (SMT) should be raised with the Chief Executive via the employee’s line manager. If the concern is regarding the HR Manager, the matter should then be raised with the employee’s line manager or a member of SMT. All receiving managers have a responsibility to act on the concerns raised in accordance with The Standards Board for England’s Whistleblowing Policy and Procedure.

• The Head of Legal will determine whether a concern constitutes a disclosure or whether it should be dealt with under another procedure (the employee will be informed of this). If the matter is dealt with under the Whistle blowing policy then the employee will be informed of the name of the investigating manager and how they can be contacted. The receiving manager will always inform the employee in writing of the process to be followed.

• An employee who raises a concern and is not satisfied with the final outcome or action proposed may appeal against the decision to a more senior manager within the Standards Board. However, if the employee still remains dissatisfied they can raise the matter further by contacting an outside agency such as, the National Audit Office or the Communities and Local Government.

During any investigation both parties are kept up to date with any progress made. Timescales for this are determined by the investigating manager and notified to both parties as part of the investigation process. Appropriate support is provided to both parties as required.
Both parties involved are given the opportunity to tell their version of the story and to defend any complaints made against them. All personal data shall be dealt with in compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act.
Where employees raise concerns in good faith and reasonably believe them to be true, they will be protected from possible reprisals or victimisation.
To be protected as a whistleblower they need to make a ‘qualifying disclosure’ about malpractice. This could be a disclosure about:
• Criminal offences
• Failure to comply with a legal obligation
• Miscarriages of justice
• Threats to an individual’s health and safety
• Damage to the environment
• A deliberate attempt to cover up any of the above
A qualifying disclosure will be protected only if they report their concern to the appropriate person and in the correct way. They must:
• Make the disclosure in good faith (with honest intent and without malice)

• Reasonably believe that the information, and any allegation they make, are substantially true

• Reasonably believe you are making the disclosure to the right 'prescribed person'

If they make a qualifying disclosure in good faith to their employer, or through a process that your employer has agreed, they are protected.
If they have been victimised or suffered detrimental treatment such as being demoted or denied promotion, because of blowing the whistle, they may be able to take their case to an Employment Tribunal.

All disclosures will be assessed and investigated discreetly. There is a strong emphasis on maintaining the confidentiality of both the whistleblower and the accused.
For instance, if the employee wishes to protect their identity, it will not be disclosed without consent. However, if the situation arises where a case cannot be resolved without revealing their identity, there will be a discussion as to how they can proceed.
Remaining anonymous can often be more difficult to investigate issues and provide feedback. While the Standard Board can consider anonymous reports, their policy is not designed to deal with concerns raised anonymously.

Protection of the accused party/parties:
The recipient of the report will assess whether it is necessary to protect the accused party/parties until the concerns have been investigated. Where such protection is considered necessary, the HR Department will be briefed and take the requisite precautions.

The investigating manager will have the following responsibilities towards the accused:

• Inform the individual/individuals about the seriousness of the allegations and provide any supporting evidence

• Advise in writing of the procedure to be followed

• Give the accused an opportunity to respond in person or in writing to the claims made, and receive and consider any relevant evidence

• Inform them of their right to be accompanied at any interview by a trade union representative or work colleague

• Give details of employee support mechanisms available

• Where necessary the Standards Board will provide support, counselling or mediation to those subject to investigation in order to ensure normal working relationships are resumed as effectively as possible

For the alleged wrongdoer, the privacy concerns include: protection of identity, safety, employment, and liberty (where sanctions may include imprisonment).

Whistleblowers are protected for public interest, to encourage people to speak out if they find malpractice in an organisation or workplace.
Unread 04-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Hi i think you have covered everything that you need to cover.
I also took the route of ofsted or your early years advisor to whistleblow if you felt that your whistleblowing wasnt beening investigated or if you were reporting your manager or owner of the setting.
Can't think of anything else to add to yours.
Sorry also added things like who i would need to whistleblow to e.g. report via supervisor/manager or owner (just added them in for extra)

Cant beleive we wrote so many similar things i suppose that what research is about.
Anyway well done.

Last edited by lyn c : 04-18-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:13 PM

Thankyou very much! Seems like its never ending :(
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

michmay is on a distinguished road
Default whistle blowing policy

Please look at the public interest disclosure act 1999, you can access it via PCAW

http://www.pcaw.org.uk/

this takes you direct to the page which has a link to the act, for good practice it should be used in work based policies its all pretty well written and common sense
Some sites have a more comprehensive policy then others but the main parts are in there

Good luck
Unread 04-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

juliaa is on a distinguished road

http://www.out-law.com/page-6637 theres a bit on the protection of the accused on here :)
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:30 PM

aaronsmum is on a distinguished road

Ive got to give an example of whistleblowing ..... my brain has blanked!
Unread 06-10-2014, 12:17 PM

julita_jn is on a distinguished road

Hi guys.
I have my essay on whistleblowing done but i got note from my tutor "could have identified what poor practice includes" I just don`t know what to write about it. maybe some of you have better idea than me. Please help.