Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 12-20-2015, 03:09 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

HLDoodles is on a distinguished road
Default Level 3 CYPW Support children and young peoples safety

I really thought I had this one licked...my assessor has come back and said .....

4.1 - can you split this into the separate categories and give your procedure for each.
4.2 - your policies are clouding your response, read the assessment criterion and respond just to that. (recording and reporting, not procedure in case of).
.................................................. ........................

Original submission below

4.1 - Explain the policies and procedures of the setting or service in response to accidents, incidents, emergencies and illness.

Illnesses Accidents and Incidents
Accident, Incident and Emergency Policy
Policy Review Date: 30/09/2016
The safety and well-being of your child is paramount and every measure will be taken to ensure they are protected from hurting
themselves. However, accidents do happen and the following information details how the incident will be dealt with:
Your child will be comforted and reassured.
The extent of your child's injuries will be ascertained and if necessary medical assistance will be called for.
Necessary first aid procedures will be carried out on your child.
I will contact you to inform you of the accident and if necessary ask you to collect your child from the setting or to meet me at the hospital.
All other children within my care who were not involved in the accident / incident will be kept safe at all times, if necessary I will instigate my emergency procedures for children who are not injured, ie: using emergency backup / other childminders to care for these children.
After every accident, however minor I will:
Complete a report on the Baby's Days system, this will include full details of the accident / incident. You will be able to view the accident / incident details by connecting to the system from any location, you will also be able to view the report when you arrive at the setting, in addition you will be able to sign the report online using your username and secure 4 digit PIN code.
If the incident requires any medical treatment I will:
Inform Ofsted (under Standard 14.3 Children Act regulation, Inform Ofsted about any significant events) Inform my Insurance Company.
Contact the PACEY / local authority for additional advice/support.
Contact the local Social Care and RIDDOR if required
It is important that you keep me informed regarding your child's condition following an accident and if you have sought additional medical advice or care.

Illnesses Accidents and Incidents
Sickness Policy
I appreciate that as a working parent you need to be able to go to work, however if your child is unwell then they will be better cared for in their own home with their parents. I am happy to care for children with minor coughs and colds but will not care for children who are very unwell, infectious or running a high temperature. I need to consider the welfare of all the children in my care.
As set by the HPA - Health Protection Agency, if your child has had diarrhoea or sickness in the last 48 hours please do not bring them in, but call and let me know.
If your child becomes ill whilst in my care, I will make them as comfortable as possible, isolate them from the other children if necessary and reassure them. I will contact you immediately and continue to care for your child until you arrive.
I am happy to administer medication, please see my Medicine Policy.
I am happy to work when I have minor ailments such as colds etc. However I will not work if I have sickness or diarrhoea or any other highly contagious infection. Continuing to work would only result in a further spreading of the infection and I would be unable to provide your child with the care they deserve.
If I am unable to work on a contracted day, I will make contact with you the night before or on the morning as early as possible to advise you that I will be unable to care for your child, if you require emergency childcare please discuss this with me and I can provide you the details of my emergency cover or make childcare arrangements for you.
I will also contact you if one of my own children is not well, inform you of the illness/symptoms and if I am able to work. This then allows you to make an informed decision as to whether to bring your child or not, if you require emergency childcare please discuss this with me and I can provide you the details of my emergency cover or make childcare arrangements for you.

4.2 Identify the correct procedures for recording and reporting accidents, incidents, injuries, signs of illness and other emergencies

Accident and incident policy is above…I would follow this in event of any such thing happening.

Should a child be seriously injured (broken bones, being rendered unconscious or subject to an electric shock whilst in my care and if off ill through these for more than 3 days) then I would contact the Health and Safety Executive

Any and all injuries are recorded on Baby’s days within the medical - accident and incident file by myself - this is then agreed and signed by Parent. After an incident I will reflect on the whole thing to see if there are any measures that I can put into place to prevent it occurring again. Of the two that I have I cannot see anything that I can put into place to prevent it from happening again

X was on the grass just in front of the tent, I turned momentarily to pick up another child and as I turned back I saw X had lunged/crawled forward. I saw it happen just missed being able to stop it by literally seconds, she grazed her head on the ledge

and

Y was knelt on the floor playing with the trains. Another child stumbled and fell against him, Y fell forward bashing his forehead on the floor

I have fully recorded both and included the date, timel. location and actions that I took immediately afterwards, also how the child was in their self as well as diagrams of site of wound

In the Setting
Fire and Emergency Evacuation Procedure Policy
In order to keep the children and myself safe I have developed the following procedure in the event of an emergency. This may be as a result of a fire, flooding, gas leak, terrorist attack or national emergency etc.
The children will regularly practice the emergency evacuation procedure in my setting with me so they will not be alarmed in the event of a situation being real. Practices will be carried out on different days of the week to ensure all children practice and the details recorded in the evacuation log.
Sound the alarm.
Evacuate the children using the safest and nearest exit available (Babies and toddlers will be carried to safety)
The following information will be taken: Attendance Record for the day. Contact numbers.
Mobile phone.
Assemble at the safe zone point as previously agreed.
Contact the emergency services.
Comfort and reassure the children.
Arrange a safe place for the children to stay until parents can collect them. Follow the instructions of the Emergency Services.
Do not return to the building until the Emergency Services have declared it safe to do so.
Smoke detectors are fitted in my setting and are regularly tested, maintained and the details recorded within the daily checklist section on the Baby's Days system.
I have access to a telephone and a fire blanket that would only be used if a fire were preventing escape from the setting. If a smoke detector sounds, or a fire is detected, the priority is to evacuate the children from the building.
I have a fire escape plan in place, and older children are all trained and we practice our fire drill regularly details of each fire drill is recorded within the fire drill section on the Baby's Days system. We would assemble at the front of the building at a safe distance and check that everyone is accounted for. We will then notify the fire brigade.
In addition to this I have had the fire brigade visit my setting and perform a fire safety check and provide advice on my home.
Parents or their emergency contacts would be contacted as soon as practical to arrange collection of the children and if necessary we would take refuge in a close by family or friend's home until collection is possible.
If we are away from the setting and involved or caught up in an incident / emergency, I will comply fully with the instructions from the emergency services and constantly reassure the children in my care.
I understand that during major incidents / emergencies the mobile phone networks are often not available and even landlines can be cancelled to free up communication systems for the emergency services. I will, however, attempt to contact you on a regular basis and ask that you try to do the same.
I will keep up to date on the situation using any media source available to me, radio, television, Internet etc. I will endeavour to protect your child from information or images that may alarm or distress them. If you wish we can have a pre-planned excuse that I can use to explain your delay in arriving.
If you are caught up in an incident / emergency I will continue to look after your child until you are able to return or a person nominated is able to collect them.

Missing Child Policy

Out and About
Lost/Missing Child Policy
The care of your child is paramount and I will always try to ensure that they remain with me and are safe.
However sometimes children can become 'lost' in busy places and therefore as a responsible childminder I have written a procedure that will be followed in the unlikely event of this happening.
I will immediately raise the alarm to all around me that I have lost a child and enlist the help of everyone to look for them.
If it is a secure area such as a shopping centre, I will quickly alert the security staff so they can seal off exits and monitor the situation on any CCTV.
I will provide everyone involved in the search with a description of the child. I will reassure the other children with me, as they may be distressed.
I will then alert the police and provide a full description.
I will then alert the parents of the situation.
I take precautions to avoid situations like this happening by implementing the following measures: Ensuring the children hold my hand or the pushchair whilst we are out.
Avoid going to places that are overcrowded.
On outings the children wear wristbands with my mobile number on them.
I teach the children about the dangers of wandering off and of talking to strangers.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, seems it's more the way this is written and some missing information rather than the overall content xx Your policies serve as workplace evidence so each one could be submitted as an individual document that demonstrates it underpins your childminding practice rather than using them as a response to the criteria.

4.1 asks you to Explain the policies and procedures of the setting or service in response to accidents, incidents, emergencies and illness.

So by knowing their titles;

Accident, Incident and Emergency Policy
Sickness Policy
Fire and Emergency Evacuation Procedure Policy
Missing Child Policy you need to give an explanation of them rather than repeat the whole policy.

So, in the event of an accident you would assess the situation? ascertain if it is a minor injury, where you would use protective clothing and the first aid box to clean and dress the wound? Then complete an accident report as quickly as possible, letting parents know on the same day or as soon as possible what actions were taken? If it were a serious accident/injury you would assess the situation then call 999 to request an emergency service -ambulance, police, fire, coast guard. Reporting a serious accident or injury requires you to contact Ofsted on what number? the child minding agency you might be registered with, local child protection service and/or the HSE within 14 days of the incident happening?

Maybe explain what Babysday system is, the details it captures.

What do you actually do in your fire drill/evacuation practices?

4.2 Identify the correct procedures for recording and reporting accidents, incidents, injuries, signs of illness and other emergencies

Using your home nations EY's framework, EYFS? read up to see how you are expected to record & report. eg. by having written records for accidents and injuries page 26

Hope this helps a little xx
the cost of ad blockers