Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 12-27-2015, 09:37 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

caroline-28 is on a distinguished road
Default Task B assignment 400 level 3 diploma

so I have just started looking at the next part of the assignment 400, attachment theory.

I have been asked to produce a guide which will be used to inform parents and colleagues about positive attachments and play. I have to outline key features of the theory and the theorists.

I am not sure how to set this out?? I can't ask my tutor as its Xmas holidays. Hoping I can get some help from here so I can make a start. Has anyone else done this one yet??

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-31-2015, 10:40 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

korinne armour is on a distinguished road

Hi I Am Also Wondering
If You Find Out Let Me Know , This Is My Second Last Unit If I Can Help On Any Other Let Me Know
Unread 01-01-2016, 04:01 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

caroline-28 is on a distinguished road

All I have done so far is write about each attachment theory.

I wrote a brief description about Bowlby, Ainsworth, The robertson's and Elfer, Goldshmeid and Selleck.

My tutor has not got back to me because of the holidays so i am going to lay it out as if a parent is reading it.

I've now got to add these:

-The importance of positive attachments for children’s holistic development
-The role of the practitioner in supporting and encouraging positive attachments
-Possible consequences of children not forming positive attachments’ including short and long term goals

This is my first assignment out of the 4 I've got to do within the level 3. I have only completed one unit previously to this so its all new to me
Unread 03-25-2018, 01:32 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

kirstyo is on a distinguished road

can anyone help me please I am on assignment 400 just need a little advice on where to look for task B about
the importance of positive attachments for children's holistic development
the role the practitioner has in supporting and encouraging positive attachments
possible consequences of children not forming positive attachments including short and long term effects
please help I only have 3 weeks left to do this and got to do other tasks too
thank you
Unread 03-28-2018, 07:59 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

kaneez77 is on a distinguished road

Ok first title in my one was

Positive attachment theory
It is very important that the parents/carers have a strong relationship with their children from when they are born, as this will help the child to do well in school and in life.

So research attachment theory use Bowlby and Ainsworth theories and write a piece on this.
Next title
The consequences for children if they are not forming attachments
Short-term effects
Long-term effects

next write about play theories just a paragraph each will do

Different types of play theories
Friedrich Froebel (1782-1852)
Susan Isaacs (1885-1948)
Chris Athey (1924-2011)
Tina Bruce (1947
Sara Smilansky (1922-2006)
Mildred Parten (1902-1970)

Comparing the Play theorist's theories
The importance of play
Role of a practitioner
Children's rights to play
Importance of Play Evaluated
Unread 02-22-2020, 05:40 PM

girl101 is on a distinguished road

hi I know this is an really old post but I am really stuck on task b for unit 400. please help me.
Unread 02-24-2020, 11:55 AM

Default 400 Task B

Hi here is my work please make sure you writ in your own words and reference your work ok.
Thank me later

Positive attachment theory

It is very important that the parents/carers have a strong relationship with their children from when they are born, as this will help the child to do well in school and in life. The relationship that the parent/carer forms impact's the child’s future mental, physical, social, and emotional health. This is not because of the quality of care or parental love but on the nonverbal emotional communication between child and parent which is known as the attachment bond. It is always easiest to form this type of secure attachment bond with an infant, but it can also be formed at any time or at any age. There are many ways the parent/carer can use the nonverbal emotional communication for instance:
⦁ Eye contact – So when you look at child affectionately the child will pick up on the positive emotion and feel safe, relaxed, and happy. Having eye contact with the child helps to keep a flow of conversation between the parent and the child.
⦁ Facial expression – The parent/carer is able to express countless emotions without saying a word. When the parents/carers expression is calm while communicating with the child, the child will feel secure.
⦁ Tone of voice – When the child is too young to understand, from the tone of voice that the parents/carers use, the child can understand the difference. For example, if the tone is harsh, indifferent or calm.
⦁ Touch – The way the parent/carer touch their child, it shows the child their emotional state for example, whether they are attentive, calm, tender, relaxed, upset or unavailable.
⦁ Body language – The way the parents/carers sit, move, and carry themselves communicates a lot of information to the child.

The bond between a child and an adult who is special to them means a lot to a child's well-being, which we know as Attachment Theory. John Bowlby is a theorist who studied this concept. John Bowlby said that an early attachment to the mother was essential for a child's emotional security. According to John Bowlby, babies are totally dependent on the attentions of a close adult, who usually is the mother, for all their needs. Bowlby understanding was that the child had to make a clear attachment in order to ensure their protection. John Bowlby believed that patterns of making relationships are formed in the very early stages of a child's life, through their very first relationship with parent/carer. This is the reason it is important that children experience positive and loving early attachments, from which they can grow up being confident and independent.
Mary Ainsworth did her own observations of toddlers left in an unfamiliar room with a stranger, which she called the ‘Strange Situation' study. This involved a mother and child (12 to 18-month-old) entering an unfamiliar room together, then a stranger comes in and the mother leaves the room after a short time, the mother returns. Mary Ainsworth found that there were three main types of responses, first was the secure attachment which was related to those toddlers who were distressed when their mothers left the room but were happy soon as the mother came back in the room. The second was insecure/avoidant attachment was about children who showed little reaction to their mother leaving or coming back to the room. The third was the ambivalent attachment in which the toddlers showed discomfort when the mother left the room but continued to be upset when she returned. The children in these three categories showed clear strategies to deal with the parting from their mother. Mary Ainsworth created a fourth category, which was called disorganised attachment, for those toddlers who did not react the same way each time the mother left the room. Mary Ainsworth did all her observations with mothers at their home with their babies and toddlers, which showed that the development of attachment was greatly influenced by the responses of the mother to the child.
In today's time, both Bowlby's and Ainsworth's studies are said to be based on a conservative section of the community and focus only on the mother as the main caregiver. Western society has changed a lot since these studies were carried out, some people would think that these studies are outdated. Our community is made from many cultures, who have their own traditions and ways. What we learn from all the studies of attachment is that it is not important who is doing the caring, but it is about the amount, quality and consistency of care that is important.
Now let us have a look at the Key person approach, which is the forming of a special relationship between the key person, child and parents/carers in the nursery setting. The Key Person is normally the early year's practitioner, and the Key Person's role is to be responsible for a small group of children. The Key Person would help the child settle in the early years setting, the Key Person would meet with the child and their parent, at the nursery, to plan a suitable settling in plan. Also, they would try to and learn little facts about the child, such as who is in their family, what they like to do, how they like to be held. Again, it would be the Key Person who greets the child at the start of a session and supports the parent and the child as they say goodbye. As we know this moment has to be handled sensitively, which is naturally upsetting for the child who is attached to his/her parent. The Key Person can help to make the parting easier for the child and the parent through carefully thought out strategies. The Key Person would also be present at the end of the session so that they can talk about the child's day and provide a link between the setting and home. The Key Person is responsible for any physical needs, such as changing nappies, feeding or cuddling at nap time, and in this way, they begin to build a secure attachment with the child. The Key Person shares the child's abilities and celebrates achievements as the child develops in confidence and independence. The child is aware that the Key Person is the secure base from which the child can explore the setting, other children and other adults. It is the Key Person duty to consider the needs of the parent. The parents might need a reassurance that the special relationship that the child builds with a Key Person in the nursery will not replace attachments at home. The Key Person must know the boundaries while remaining professional and expressing warmth and understanding.
Although the Key Person is an important part of the child, we still need to have a plan in place to cover for sickness, holiday, or a job change. In these unavoidable situations, children's attachments are undoubtedly disturbed. We could avoid this situation by having a backup key person. This is why working as a team becomes even more important as the Key Person Approach is introduced.
To understand today's early attachment relationships, a lot has been taken from Bowlby and Ainsworth's original theories, but then again, the general principle remains the same. From this we learn that infants and children need to form secure attachments with a few adults who are special to them. We could use this to inform our practice, with using some guidance from the Key Person Approach, in our early years settings we can build positive and rewarding attachments with the children in our care.

The consequences for children if they are not forming attachments
From birth, we develop a close bond with our parents/carers. This attachment that we have helps us to learn and grow in a trusting environment, even at such a young age, we know our parents/carers will be there for us when we need them. But sometimes with some children, this bond is not formed. There is a number of reasons for this, but normally it is a situation where the caregiver is unable to provide the care and attention required to form a close attachment. This could be because the child may have been abused, neglected or separated from their parents for other reasons. Whatever the cause, the effect of not forming this bond can lead to attachment difficulties and at its worst, a condition called reactive attachment disorder. Usually, babies develop close bonds to their parent/carers by the age of nine months. By this time, they have learnt to rely on their parents/carers to give food, shelter and protection. This gives children the confidence to try new things, learn and cope with new situations. Babies between the age of six and nine months tend to go through a ‘clingy’ stage and don’t like being separated from their parents/carers. This is because of the close bond they’ve formed and because they connect their parents with safety. These strong and ‘secure’ attachments are not always made. In these cases, the security and safety factor associated with parents/carers is lost. This can make it difficult for the child to deal with new experiences and form relationships. Not forming this bond can lead to a set of behavioural and emotional difficulties which can affect development and lead to mental health problems later in life.
Attachment disorder usually develops by the age of five. Those at high risk of developing difficulties may include children who have suffered abuse, neglected, in the care system or who have been separated from caregivers. Saying this, any situation where parent/carer and child are unable to form a bond can lead to attachment difficulties.

Image result for pdd model attachment

Short-term effects
Robertson and Bowlby believe that short-term separation from an attachment figure leads to distress. Their findings show that the children react in three different ways which are:
•Protest: The child cries, screams and protests angrily when the parent leaves. They will try to cling on to the parent to stop them leaving. The child reacts in 3 different ways which are:
•Despair: The child’s protesting begins to stop and they appear to be calmer although still upset. The child refuses others’ attempts for comfort and often seems withdrawn and uninterested in anything.
•Detachment: If separation continues the child will start to engage with other people again. They will reject the caregiver on their return and show strong signs of anger.

Long-term effects
Children who do not develop secure attachment during early childhood are most often found to have social difficulties throughout the rest of their development and up into early adulthood. The long-term effects of not forming an attachment in childhood could be:

Misbehaviour /receive constant reprimands (school & home)

Constant dissociation or ‘tuning out’

Aggressive and/or manipulative behaviour towards others

Bullying or easily bullied

Defensive response to authority figures (teachers, parents, etc.)

Unwilling to share

Shunned by peers

Shallow later friendships

Less curious or more hesitant to learn

Difficulties with empathy

Distrust of adults leading to not asking for help when needed

Low Self-Confidence

Difficulties regulating emotions (example: calming self-down when upset)

Different types of play theories

Friedrich Froebel (1782-1852)
⦁ Friedrich Froebel was the founder of the first kindergarten and known as "father of Kindergarten".
⦁ Frobel explained that play is the highest expression of human development in childhood for it alone is the free expression of what is in a child’s soul.
⦁ He suggested that children should spend a lot of time outdoors and in nature.
⦁ Froebel also, recommended that the adults should give children toys to explore and learn from them, for example, a hard and soft ball.
⦁ Froebel supported the child centred approach and many of his ideas are to do with free play.
⦁ He saw how important outdoor play and natural materials in the environment were.
⦁ He also believed children needed real experiences and had to be physically active.

Susan Isaacs (1885-1948)
⦁ Susan Isaacs is known for developing the importance of play in young children.
⦁ She wrote many articles about children development and play.
⦁ Isaacs saw the importance of play to allow children the freedom to balance their ideas, feelings and relationships whilst moving in and out.
⦁ She believes that through play children could release their feelings safely and also explore a range of emotions.
⦁ Also, that play was a tool used to explore and understand a child's feelings.
⦁ She also suggested that adults should not set up a play for children but just setup a safe environment for them to play in.
⦁ She considered parents as important educators for children and suggested that formal schooling should start until the age of 7.

Chris Athey (1924-2011)
⦁ Chris Athey was greatly influenced by Piaget’s work on children’s cognitive development.
⦁ She stresses the importance of adult observation of play, and close partnership with the child's parents. This can ensure greater safety of the child.
⦁ Athey said that children should be offered real and interesting experiences to build their knowledge such as home area, gardening, clay, playing indoors or outdoors, modelling with found materials, cooking, wood work, painting and drawing.
⦁ She also, believes that the child's home language should be respected and valued.
⦁ Athey believes learning is an active process, where schemas are developed through past knowledge and experiences. This means that a child gets to develop their own habits and personalities through play.

Tina Bruce (1947)
⦁ Tina Bruce is well known for her work looking at play and learning. She identified 12 different features of play for children:
1. Children use first-hand experiences from life;
2. Children make up rules as they play in order to keep control. 3. Children symbolically represent as they play, making and adapting play props.
3. Children choose to play - they cannot be made to play.
4. Children rehearse their future in their role play.
5. Children sometimes play alone.
6. Children pretend when they play.
7. Children play with adults and other children cooperatively in pairs or groups.
8. Children have a personal play agenda, which may or may not be shared.
9. Children are deeply involved and difficult to distract from their deep learning as they wallow in their play and learning.
10. Children try out their most recently acquired skills and competencies as if celebrating what they know.
11. Children coordinate ideas and feelings and make sense of relationships with their families, friends and cultures.
⦁ Tina Bruce believes that children use play to practice what they have already learned. Play gives them a chance to understand their relationships, thoughts and feelings, and to use newly acquired physical skills.

Sara Smilansky (1922-2006)
⦁ Sara Smilanksy developed the 4 stages of play, which focused on the intellectual development of the child. Her 4 stages of play are:
1. Functional Play - Here, the children’s movements are used to provide exercise.
2. Constructive Play - The child works towards a goal – an example is when a child is completing a puzzle or a drawing.
3. Sociodramatic Play – The child assumes roles and uses language for the purpose of pretending.
4. Games with rules – This is the highest form cognitive play for children.
⦁ She defined dramatic play as taking place when a child pretends to be someone else and sociodramatic play as those times when two or more children cooperate in such role–playing.

Mildred Parten (1902-1970)
⦁ Parten believed that when children are engaged in active playtime, they learn how to interact with other children, cooperate, share and make friends.
⦁ Parten said that children’s play changed as they developed, going through six different stages that usually, but not always, correspond to children’s ages, these stages are:
1. Unoccupied play – This is when the child is not playing and just observing what is going on around them. This stage of play is mostly seen in new-borns and infants, between the ages of 0 and
2. Solitary play – This is when children will often play alone, with toys different from those of others, and be uninterested or unaware of what others around them are doing. This stage of play is most commonly seen in young toddlers between the ages of 2 and 3.
3. Onlooker play – This is when a child observes others playing but does not join the play. They will often engage in other forms of social interactions such as discussions to learn more about the game or play that is going on. This type of play is common in younger children between the ages of 2½ and 3½ but can take place at any age.
4. Parallel play – This happens when children play side-by-side from one another, but there is a lack of group involvement amongst them. They will typically be playing with similar toys and often times mimic one another. Parallel play is common in toddlers between the ages of 2 ½ and 3 ½ but can take place at any age.
5. Associative play – At this stage, children will begin to play together, but not focused towards a common goal. A child will be more interested in playing with other children around them than the individual toys they play with. This type of play typically begins around ages 3 or 4, extending into the pre-school age.
6. Cooperative play – Cooperative play is where play finally becomes organised into groups and teamwork is seen. Children are now interested in both the people that they are playing with as well as the activity at hand. Cooperative play begins in the late preschool period, between the ages of 4 and 6.
⦁ Parten found that with growing age, the children tended to engage in more social forms of play. Younger children tended to engage in more unoccupied behaviour, onlooker behaviour, and solitary play, while older pre-schoolers engaged in more cooperative play.

Comparing the Play theorist's theories

Froebel was among the first to suggest the importance of educative play in young children, he was the first who fully developed the theory that children learn through play. Froebel believed that children's learning is most effective when they are engaged in imaginative and pretend play, which involves them in deep thought. If we refer to the play theory of Bruce, he argued that recreation theory and excess energy theory led to the thinking of work and play as separate activities. Besides, recapitulation theory, practice theory and other contemporary theories such as psychoanalytic theories and cognitive theories make play a central part of education. According to Athey, early childhood educators were among the first to recognise the value of play to the young child's physical, intellectual, language, social and emotional development. Although, having to complete adult-led tasks such as work then play or play then work is seen as 'undervalued and undermines play' by Bruce. Therefore, early childhood educators need to have a clear view on what they believe and why and what this means for the early childhood setting they create. Froebel described a strong connection between play and learning while McMillan and Isaac believed in the use of play as a means of enhancing learning.
Unread 02-24-2020, 11:57 AM

The Importance of Play

Play is an important means for children to use to support their emotional, cognitive and physical development. Through play, children can use the skills they have already learned to increase their knowledge and understanding of the world. Children feel comfortable and confident when they are playing and also feel able to experiment, take risks, question and explore. Through their exploration, children are making connections and building up ideas, concepts and skills. Through play, children can gain a sense of achievement, thereby develop self-esteem.

Children learn through play and develop physical skills, for example, gross motor skills are developed as a child learns to reach, grasp, crawl, run, climb, and balance. Fine motor skills are developed as children handle toys, it also helps control of the hands and fingers improve. Play helps with cognitive development, for example, children learn to solve problems, colours, numbers, size and shapes through play. Through play children, develop language skills as a child plays and interacts with others. They also, develop social skills, for example, cooperating, taking turns, sharing, listening, and negotiating exist within the play rules.

Role of a practitioner

Image result for role of a practitioner in early years play

Adult presence is important in different types of plays because a practitioner can set up different types of plays for children. A practitioner's presence at most activities is important as they can guide the children about the activity and show them how it should be done. Child-initiated and play activities are where the practitioners have a key role in supporting learning, there is an important place for activities initiated by adults. Adult-led activities provide the children opportunities for introducing new knowledge or ideas, and for developing and practising skills. The activities can provide a new incentive, or an opportunity to revisit or further develop learning. Sometimes the activities could be prompted by children’s interests as observed in their play. At other times practitioners will identify areas of learning which are less likely to be available to children through daily experience and play, where adults can best take a lead in introducing new ideas and concepts. This may provide open-ended opportunities where practitioners observe and support children’s learning during the experience and consider next steps based on children’s responses and have clearly specified learning objectives, which will be matched to children’s current learning to extend or strengthen what children know and can do. Children grow from a foundation of loving and secure relationships. This is normally provided by a child’s parents but it can also be provided by a key person/practitioner. A key person is a named member of staff with responsibilities for a small group of children who help those children in the group feel safe and cared for. A key person would respond sensitively to children’s feelings and behaviours and meeting emotional needs by giving reassurance, such as when they are new to a setting, and supporting the child’s well-being. The key person also supports the child's physical needs, helping with issues like nappy changing, toileting and dressing. That person is a familiar person who is approachable and available as a point of contact for parents and one who builds relationships with the child and parents or carers. The role of the practitioner in play should be to introduce children to new materials, environment and resources. To help children to play new games and new ways of playing. Also provide the children opportunity to develop the language by communicating them, also to ask children about sharing toys and shifting their turns to play. Attachments are the emotional bonds that young children develop with parents and other carers such as their key person/practitioners. Children with strong early attachments cry less when separated. They engage in more pretend play and maintain attention for longer. Children need to be safe in the relationship they have with parents or carers. They are vulnerable but will develop flexibility when their physical and emotional well-being is protected by an adult. Being emotionally attached to such an adult helps the child feel secure that the person they depend on is there for them. When children feel safe they are more likely to try things out and be more independent. They are confident to express their ideas and feelings and feel good about themselves. Attachment influences a child’s immediate all-round development and future relationships.

CHILDREN’S RIGHTS TO PLAY

The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child Article 31 states that 'Parties recognise the right of the child to rest and leisure, to engage in play and recreational activities appropriate to the age of the child and to participate freely in cultural life and the arts'. Article 31 of this convention is a promise made by almost every government to children and young people. It says that children have the right to rest, play and take part in art and cultural activities. In particular, we are interested in that every child has the right to play. Article 31 of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child includes a variety of areas including play, recreation, rest and the right to participate in cultural and artistic activities. It tells us how important play is. It says that children need to play in order to grow, learn and that play is a way of taking part in everyday life. Study shows that playing is necessary to children’s development and that in the early years it is especially important for the growth of the brain. Through play, children learn by doing, they explore and experience the world around them and learn to understand it. Children can play on their own, together with other children or with adults who support them. Loving and caring adults whether they be parents or practitioners can help children to develop through play.

Importance of Play Evaluated
Playing is very important for children as they get more active, both mentally and physically, when they play games. I work with many children at my setting, they all love to play a lot and I found that whenever the children in my setting play together, they improve in many things as they develop their interpersonal skills. All kinds of play, especially the kinds that involve make-believe, increases a child’s imagination. Whenever a child creates stories around the roles he/she creates for them self, they are learning to think and create in multiple methods, in ways beyond their world. Role-playing, fantasy and imaginative play help develop the cognitive ability and stimulate the multiple types of intelligence. Play allows for many opportunities to develop language, speech, and vocabulary. Whether they play alone, making up characters or pretending to be a superhero, or play with others, children do a lot of talking and listening while playing. Playing also provides opportunities for social interactions and social skills. The more children are involved in playing, the more interactions they form. During play, children learn how to be part of a group, to lead, to follow instructions, to negotiate, and to share essential skills that will prepare them for future academic performance and life satisfaction. The early year's foundation stage (EYFS) has set the statutory standards that all early year's providers must meet.
The EYFS aims to provide:
•Quality and consistency in all early years settings
•A secure foundation for all children for good progress through school and life
•Partnerships between different practitioners
•Partnerships between parents or carers and practitioners
•Equality of opportunity for all children

Early Years Pedagogical

Urie Bronfenbrenner (1917-2005)

Image result for Different approaches and systems Bronfenbrenner pedagogical principles

Ecological Systems
Bronfenbrenner produced the ecological systems theory to explain how everything in a child and the child's environment affects how a child grows and develops. Bronfenbrenner labelled different aspects or levels of the environment that influence children's development, including the:
•Microsystem.
•Mesosystem.
•Exosystem.
•Macrosystem

The Microsystem
The microsystem is the small, immediate environment the child lives in. Children's microsystems will include any immediate relationships or groups they associate with, such as their immediate family or caregivers and their school or day-care. How people interact with the child will have an effect on how the child grows the more encouraging and caring these relationships and places are, the better the child will be able to grow. Also, how a child acts or reacts to these people in the microsystem will affect the way the child will treat them back. Each child's special genetic and biologically influenced personality characteristics, what is known as temperament, will affect the way others treat them.

The Mesosystem
Bronfenbrenner's next level, the mesosystem, describes how the different parts of a child's microsystem work together for the benefit of the child.
For example, if a child's caregivers take an active role in a child's school, sports games etc, this will help ensure the child's overall growth. Then again, if the child's two sets of carers, for example, mom with step-dad and dad with step-mom, disagree how to best raise the child and give the child conflicting lessons when they see him, this will limit the child's growth in different channels.

The Exosystem
The exosystem level includes the other people and places that the child herself may not interact with often herself but that still have a large effect on her, such as parents' workplaces, extended family members, the neighbourhood, etc.
For example, if a child's parent loses his/her job, then may have negative effects on the child if her parents are unable to pay rent, to buy groceries or fulfil the child's requirements. However, if her parent receives a promotion and a raise at their job, then this may have a positive effect on the child because his/her parents will be better able to give his/her physical needs.

The Macrosystem
Bronfenbrenner's final level is the macrosystem, which is the largest and most remote set of people and things to a child but which still has a great influence over the child.
The macrosystem includes things such as the relative freedoms permitted by the national government, cultural values, the economy, wars, etc. These things can also affect a child either positively or negatively.

Reggio Emilia

Image result for reggio emilia philosophy summary

The Reggio Emilia Approach is an innovative and stimulating approach to early childhood education which values the child as strong, capable and flexible, full of wonder and knowledge. Every child brings with them deep curiosity and potential and this natural curiosity drives their interest to understand their world and their place within it.
Reggio Emilia believed that children are capable of constructing their own learning as they are driven by their interests to understand and learn more. Also, that children develop an understanding of themselves and their place in the world through their interactions with others. Reggio Emilia has a strong focus on social collaboration, for example, working in groups, where each child is an equal participant, having their thoughts and questions valued. Reggio Emilia believes that the adult is not the giver of knowledge but the children search out the knowledge through their own investigations. Reggio Emilia also said that children are communicators as they find a way of discovering things, asking questions, using language as play. In Reggio-inspired settings, there is an importance of carefully displaying and documenting children’s thoughts and progression of thinking. Also making the children's thoughts visible in many different ways such as photographs, transcripts of children’s thoughts and explanations, visual representations such as drawings, sculptures etc., all designed to show the child’s learning process. The well-known aspect of the Reggio Emilia Approach is the belief that children use many different ways to show their understanding and express their thoughts and creativity.
The Reggio Emilia Approach emphasises hands-on discovery learning that allows the child to use all their senses and all their languages to learn. Our role as a practitioner is to observe the children, listen to their questions and their stories, find out what their interests are and then provide them with opportunities to explore these interests further.

High Scope

Image result for high/scope

High Scope is a quality approach to early childhood care and education which has been formed and developed by research and practice over a forty-year period. It recognises and builds on children's strengths, interests and abilities. The basic belief of the High Scope approach is that children construct their own learning by doing and being involved in working with materials, people and ideas.
The basic principles of High Scope are the provision of a developmentally appropriate curriculum, consistency and genuine relationships that offer children the opportunities for active learning and personal initiative. These principles guide all High Scope practitioners in their daily work. Their work is told by working closely with parents and carers based on the principle of family inclusion and the different culture of the child. Adults in High Scope settings encourage children to become decision makers and problem solvers who can plan, initiate and reflect on work chosen by themselves, also work effectively individually, with other children, and with adults, and develop skills and characteristics which enable them to become successful students as they grow older.

The Plan-Do-Review Process
Planning is a process in which children learn to create and express their intentions in a group or individually, which is supported by an adult and the children plan what they wish to do. Children's planning becomes more sophisticated as they become familiar with the process. At work time children create experiences based upon their plans. Children need time for action and mistakes, to generate new ideas, practise and succeed. Personal independence is the Key to active learning by self-motivating children. During review time children reflect on their experiences at play and work. Where there is a high-quality curriculum, it will provide an occasion for children to reflect on their experiences with increasing verbal ability a logic as they develop.

Maria Montessori

Image result for Montessori 5 principles

Montessori has five basic principles which represent how Montessori educators implement the Montessori method. These principles are:
1. respect for the child
2. the absorbent mind
3. sensitive periods
4. the prepared environment
5. auto-education

Respect for the Child
Respect for the child is the foundation on which all other Montessori principles rest. Practitioners show respect to the children while helping them do things and learn for themselves. When we give children choices, they are able to develop the skills and abilities necessary for effective learning autonomy, and positive self-esteem.

The Absorbent Mind
Montessori believed that children educate themselves. Montessori wanted us as practitioners to understand that children can’t help learning, they simply learn by the environment they live in. Children are born to learn, and they are exceptional learning systems. Then again, what they learn depends greatly on their teachers, experiences, and environments. Early years practitioners are relooking at the idea that children are born learning and with constant willingness and ability to learn.

Sensitive Periods
Montessori believed there are sensitive periods when children are more responsive to certain behaviours and can learn specific skills more easily. Although all children experience the same sensitive periods, for example, a sensitive period for writing, the progress and timing vary for each child. The role of the practitioner is to use observation to identify times of sensitivity and provide the setting for maximum fulfilment.

The Prepared Environment
Montessori believed that children learn best in a prepared environment, a place in which children can do things for themselves. The prepared environment makes learning materials and experiences available to children in an orderly format. Montessori described the classroom to be educators support when they talk about child-centred education and active learning. Freedom is the essential point of the prepared environment. As children inside the environment are free to explore materials of their own choosing, they absorb what they find there. Maria Montessori was a master at creating environments for young children that enabled them to be independent, active, and learn.

Auto-education
Montessori named the concept that children are capable of educating themselves auto-education also, sometimes known as self-education. Montessori said that children who are actively involved in a prepared environment and who exercise freedom of choice literally educate themselves. Montessori teachers prepare classrooms so that children educate themselves.

The Teacher’s Role
Montessori believed that “it is necessary for the teacher to guide the child without letting him feel her presence too much, so that she may be always ready to supply the desired help, but may never be the obstacle between the child and his experience" (Montessori, 1967).

The key behaviours that Montessori implemented in this child-centred approach are:
•Make children the centre of learning because, as Montessori said, “The teacher’s task is not to talk, but to prepare and arrange a series of motives for cultural activity in a special environment made for the child” (Dr Montessori's Own Handbook).
•Assist children to learn by providing freedom for them in the prepared environment.
•Observe children so that we can prepare the best possible environment, recognising sensitive periods and turning inappropriate behaviour to meaningful tasks.
•We must prepare the learning environment ensuring that learning materials are provided in an orderly format and the materials provide for appropriate experiences for all the children.
•We must always respect each child and form ongoing respect for all children and their work.
•Introduce learning materials, demonstrate learning materials, and support children’s learning. The teacher introduces learning materials after observing each child.

Rudolf Steiner

Image result for waldorf steiner approach

The key features of Steiner schooling methods are:
1. Children need to learn through all senses
2. Imagination is at the heart of learning
3. Life skills are imperative to a complete education
4. A lifelong love for learning can be achieved through the arts
Unread 02-24-2020, 11:58 AM

Steiner believed that children need to be surrounded by beauty in an aesthetically pleasing atmosphere. He said the classroom should be a homelike setting furnished with natural materials where children have sessions of guided free-play, which focuses on their developmental needs. Steiner believed that children should be taught respect, cooperation, compassion and social responsibility in the classroom. Also, children are discouraged from using technology at young ages, which contributes to their creative imaginative thinking. If there is a lack of exposure to televisions, computers, and other forms of technology then this creates children with extended attention spans. They are able to focus on tasks for longer periods of time as they are not used to the instant satisfaction that technology can provide.

Te Whariki

Related image

Te Whariki is for children and is not like a school curriculum. It does not direct formal subject teaching. Te Whariki is a curriculum which includes a lot of what a child would experience at their home in a relationship with parents and family and community, for example, able to have a strong sense of belonging, well-being, making contributions, communicating, and exploring through play and family activities.
Te Whariki sets out four broad principles, five strands, and goals for each strand, these are:
Principles

1. Empowerment
The early childhood curriculum empowers the child to learn and grow.

2. Holistic Development
The early childhood curriculum reflects the holistic way children learn and grow.

3. Family and Community
The wider world of family and community is an essential part of the early childhood curriculum.

4. Relationships
Children learn through understanding and mutual relationships with people, places, and things.

Strands and Associated Goals

Strand 1. Well-being
Goals
This is where children can experience an environment where their health is developed, their emotional well-being is nurtured, and they are kept safe from harm.

Strand 2. Belonging
Goals
This is where children and their families experience an environment where they are connecting links with the family and the broader world is affirmed and extended. The children know that they have a place and they feel comfortable with the routines, customs, and regular events. Also, the children know the limits and boundaries of acceptable behaviour.

Stand 3: Contribution
Goals opportunities for learning, irrespective of gender, ability, age, ethnicity, or background. The children are affirmed as individuals, and they are encouraged to learn with and alongside others.

Strand 4: Communication
Goals
This where children experience an environment where they can develop non-verbal communication skills for a range of purposes. Also, the children experience the stories and symbols of their own and other cultures. The children discover and develop different ways to be creative and expressive.

Strand 5: Exploration
Goals
This is where children experience an environment where their play is valued as meaningful learning and the importance of natural play is recognised. The children gain confidence in and control of their bodies and they learn strategies for active exploration, thinking and reasoning. Also, they develop working theories for making sense of the natural, social, physical, and material worlds.

All the children's learning is interweaved within each other, as the meaning of Te Whariki means the woven mat. This is where the parents and a lot of family involvement working in groups is encouraged for the guide and support of the children's development.

Social pedagogy

Social pedagogy is the learning that takes place at a wider scale than a group or individual learning through social interaction between peers. Social Pedagogy can be used in any work setting in which the focus is to support individuals and groups. This approach enables staff to support children in order to overcome challenging life situations. Social pedagogy gives a theoretical and practical framework for understanding children’s childhood. It has a particular focus on developing relationships through effective engagement with children using skills such as art and music or outdoor activities. Social pedagogy is about the holistic well-being, education and is a shared responsibility between parents and society as a whole. It develops children's knowledge of what is expected of them as an individual in the community. It also helps the children gain skills in learning, coping with emotions and physical skills, it's there to teach children how to become a valued member of society. In the words of Karl Mager (1844) “Social Pedagogy is the theory of all the personal, social and moral education in a given society, including the description of what has happened in practice.” Social pedagogy links to the EYFS characteristics of effective learning. It is a very good example of holistic education by encouraging children to grow up as self-responsible people who can take responsibility for themselves and their environment.
Effective Pedagogy in current practice help us:

Create a supportive learning environment.

It encourages
This where children experience an environment where there are equal reflective thought and action.

It enhances the importance of new learning.

Facilitated shared learning.

It helps make connections to prior learning and experience.

It provides sufficient opportunities to learn.

Study the teaching-learning relationship.such as going to parent-teacher meetings and attending their child's school plays or
Unread 02-24-2020, 02:13 PM

girl101 is on a distinguished road

Thank you ever so much Kaneez77, Very kind of you. Don’t worry I will put it all in to my own words. This forum and you have really helped me through out this course. Words can not describe how grateful I am to you honestly l. I would be ever so grateful if you could help me with two more assignments please. These are the last two assignments and then I’m all done, but I am really struggling with them and stressing. Is it possible you could email me and we could have a little chat? If not I’m more than happy just speaking on here. In case you don’t mind emailing me my email address is *contact information removed*
Have a lovely day.
Thank you ever so much once again kaneez77.