Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 09-05-2008, 02:00 PM
kayleigh

Help SOS gettin into the childcare industry

Hello, i am currently studyin my level 3 dpp (havent got level 2, gone straight in at level 3). i work in a pre-school 2 mornings a week (I started just as a volunteer, i now work officially for one day then just go in as an extra on tuesdays when son at nursery) and i also work part time as afitness instructor for 20hours a week, been there for about 3 years. i dont enjoy the gym anymore and want part time in childcare as i am tryin to break into the industry but am having no luck. it's getin so frustrating, i have been apply and sendin cv's to local nurserys for about 9months and either get a no thanks or dont hear anythin. i thought my CV was good, but obviously i'm not. i just dont know what i'm doing wrong!
If anyone has any tips or advice for me it would be much appreciated.
kay x

p.s. i live in southend-on-sea, essex

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-05-2008, 04:57 PM
hattyhar

Hi

I would suggest that you phone nurseries and speak to the manager about possible job opportunities. When I worked in a nursery we used to get masses of CV's just sent in and being busy you don't always have the time to reply to them all, although you try. If you phone the manager will get a feel for how motivated and comitted you are to breaking into the profession, this way you will stand out from all the other people that just send in CV's.

Another way you could get more experience working with children would perhaps helping at something like Rainbow's, Brownies, Beavers or Cubs. This would be smething else you could put on your CV which would be child related, and you also get opportunies to go on training sessions such as First Aid, which is always helpful. This website page will give you more info about volunteering with Rainbows & Brownies:
http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/xq/asp...in/article.asp

I would also suggest that when you are thinking about your CV think about all the other skills that you have which you could use with children if you worked in a nursery, eg maybe you enjoy gardening - and could say that gardening is a hobby and that you would love to use these skills with children.

I'm sure if you really want to get into this profession that will come across the employers.

Good luck & don't give up

Harriet :-)
Unread 09-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Have you looked on the Essex website?
I shall now attempt a link!!!

http://jobsearch.essex-eyjobs.co.uk/default.aspx

whether it works or not is a different matter!!...... Shame your not nearer me, you sound the kind of person we are looking for.

xxxx
Unread 09-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

And this one -

http://www.pre-school.org.uk/employment/

xxxx
Unread 09-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Hija

what about connecting the two? maybe you can offer kiddie yoga or gymnastics?? in my last work place we did yoga sometimes and the kids loved it! it was nothing to do with the proper yoga - just the name- but maybe it would work? treat it as an extra skill maybe you can do dance classes as a little something extra??
good luck!
Unread 09-07-2008, 06:33 PM
noah

We also used to have someone come in once a week to do 'exercise/keep fit/dance ' with the children, perhaps you could develop something and advertise amongst other groups to go and do just that .. it was ggod because she came once a week, and the children got to know her, and we did not have to think about regular music sessions which c an often be forgotton or else staff feel unable to do them.
Chidlren loved them too..

Now we have a gymnastic coach on staff so no worry!

We also have lots of CVs sent and no time to reply to them when there is no vacancy, it also costs us to reply which we can ill afford.....
have you also looked at joining an agency for a varied experience...
Unread 11-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

m1sspr0ject is on a distinguished road

i would give nurseries a bell to ask if there is are any vacancies coming up. If they say that there is them tell them that you wish to apply and send in your CV. If not then say would you mind if i sent you my CV anyway just incase something comes up in the future. i know it can be hard looking for a job. I live in warrington and sent 44 cv's out when looking for a job i was moving up here and was willing to take anything really as long as it was with children. luckily i got the job i was looking for so it all went well. As far as your cv goes they are looking for a one page document.