Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 10-15-2009, 04:53 PM
loo-lar

Default Medium term plans (eyfs)

HI all, im working in a pre school and we plan on a weekly basis, starting from the child (interests,likes,needs,abilities etc)...we display our planning for all to see, Our commitee has requested we do a medium term plan to display also. We stopped doing these a while ago as we feel our planning now is working well and the children have more of an input on a daily basis to help with our current style of planning. Do ofsted still want to see medium term plans? we are due for a visit early next year. We have a new set of mums on the committee and are making a few tweeks here and there......Would be good to here from other playgroups to see whats happening else where... Thankyou x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-15-2009, 07:54 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

No. they re not in the slightest bit interested in planning that meets the needs of the adults and not the children, which is the very nature of medium and lt planning. planning tomorrow or next week based on what you have observed today is best practice.
Unread 10-16-2009, 05:29 PM
loo-lar

Thanks for your reply tutu, we were going to get together (reluctantly) next week and put one together..We love planning weekly and sometimes it happens daily taking the lead from our children, I think the key is to get on paper what the children asked for or suggested.So we are going to re design our planning template to accomadate this and also to prove to Ofsted, parents, Uncle Tom Cobley that we actually do listen to the children and are helping them to develop,learn and most of all have fun !
Unread 01-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

shrinkydink is on a distinguished road

Hi Loo-lar

I'm so confused now! I have always done weekly plans along with medium and long term plans, i stopped working in a pre-school last July and was told by our Early Years advisor to continue to do them but makesure they could be altered.
I am now trying to set up my own playgroup and need to provide plans for my business plan, I have spent all day doing these as I don't have the old copies. Is there any chance you could show me a copy of your plans please
Unread 01-06-2010, 05:52 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

the eyfs is very clear. your planning should be done daily weekly at a push that meets the need of the child, medium term and long term are pointless and only satisfy the needs of the anal retentive adults who have to have a plan! the best settings have planning which the children do. we have a section where the children write on a whiteboard 'what i want to do tomorrow" ofsted love it and have no interest in med or lt. shrinky you dont need learning or experience plans as part of a business plan! you just say you will meet the experiential and learning needs of the children according to the eyfs on a daily basis.
Unread 01-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Our long term plan is a yearly wall planner-
We do add festivals and events to it though!
We also put planning meetings, courses booked, apprasail dates etc.
I see it as a 'one stop shop' for ofsted to see at a glance what we do and when we do it.
xx
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

shrinkydink is on a distinguished road

Tutu

Thanks for your advise, when we started the EYFS in 2008 I had just put a wall planner up and included things like festivals and religious events on to the relevent dates, we then had a visit from the early years adviser who told me to use my old planning but just tweek it so that it would be flexible this was told to all the playgroups and pre-schools in the borough, the staff also agreed that they would not be prepared and would not know what was happening until they came in, ( all staff part time), believe me this is not the first time planning has given me a sore head!!!
Regarding my business plan I originally put in that I would follow the EYFS guidance providing learning experiences for all children (words to that effect) but again it actually says that I need to provide copies of planning to show that I am providing 'a well balanced curriculum for all children'.
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

maisiemo is on a distinguished road

Whilst planning needs to reflect the needs of the child and be done following your observations, you also need to show coverage of the curriculum and, through your record keeping show how children are progressing in all areas. A long term plan for each area of constant provision can show how you cover the curriculum on a daily basis. Medium term plans can show what specific areas of the curriculum you aim to cover over 6 weeks or so. This still leaves flexible short term plans but ensures the staff have had time to use their expertise to devise interesting activities suitable for the children in their care.

If all we needed to do was what the children asked for it would be likely to be a very narrow curriculum. We are expected to do a balance of child initiated activities and adult led activities.

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 10-28-2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Promotional link removed