Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 03-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

samarsh is on a distinguished road
Help SOS How do serious case reviews inform practise?

Hi I cant workout how to start a new thread so thought I would post here. I would appreciate any help on -
1.4 Explain when and why inquiries and serious case reviews are required and how the sharing of the findings informs practise.
I have done most of the question but been asked just to add, how the sharing of the findings informs practice – what can we learn from these as practitioners? I thought I'd already answered this part but obviously not. Please help

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, welcome to silkysteps, theres a thread here to help find your way around the forum xx

The duty that a setting has to safeguard its children, staff, parents carers & support its community & regulators in their inspection processes is paramount, this means that recommendations within serious case reviews offer the opportunity to examine current practice, what's happening and how it happens, within the setting and externally with other organisations/agencies/service providers.

Through this, practitioners can pass on information via their meeting agendas or promotion of their open door policy for raising concerns about practice or other, that anyone feels has the potential to contribute to or cause children's vulnerability. It helps everyone look at information and sharing it, storing it, transporting it, data protection and freedom of information act, the refferal, reporting procedures & contact lists that are in place.

If anything within a review reflects a setting's practice and has recommendations that would improve safeguarding measures you'll be able to identify them and see ways to implement, discuss and adapt the way things currently go on, ensuring a setting continually maximises what it does to safeguard well-being and welfare.

"Local safeguarding board considers conducting serious case reviews where;

-- a child sustains a potentially life threatening injury through neglect or abuse.
-- the child has been subjected to particularly serious sexual abuse
-- a case raises concerns about inter-agency working to protect children from harm.

The purpose of a SCR is to;

-- establish whether there are any lessons to be learnt from the case about inter-agency working.
-- to clearly identify what these lessons are, how they will be acted upon and what is expected to change as a result.
-- to improve inter-agency working to safeguard and promote the welfare of children"
sourced: pg 187 collins lv 3 handbook

OFSTED about SCRs after Aprtil 2007 and learning lessons from serious case reviews

Community cares website - serious care reviews debate

List of serious case reviews on the NSPCC website

Maybe see if the 2010 Plymouth - Nursery Z SCR had any impact on how your setting considers & uses mobile phones, video, image capturing devices, how whistleblowing procedures are explained and maybe now promote OFSTEDs subsequent hotline, if/how your setting works with its lscb and LA early years departments.

Hth xx

...................~*
Supporting silkysteps
For a list of level 3 diploma learner handbooks on amazon.co.uk
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:27 AM

samarsh is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for your time, that helped loads x
Unread 03-27-2012, 12:49 PM

Loobyloo is on a distinguished road

heres what i put and have had it signed off hope it helps
According to the local safeguarding board regulations 2006, serious case reviews will be required in situations where a child has died due to known or suspected abuse or neglect. Sometimes reviews may be carried out where a child has been seriously harmed or suffered life threatening injuries.
Serious case reviews are used for agencies to discuss the case together and to determine the lessons which are to be learned about the way in which professionals have worked and which can work together in the future. A report will then be written which will be made public so that recommendations are known when undertaking a serious case review. The process to follow is in the DCSF publication working together to safeguard children 2010.
Unread 03-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

emmalouise is on a distinguished road

Serious case reviews are crucial as they examine all agencies involved to ensure that they are actively involved and working together as they should be. When professionals are found to be negligent in their involvement or procedures, the review is able to highlight where the mistakes were made.
Unread 11-09-2013, 12:38 PM

Topaze is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much ,.. your answers helped me a lot : )
Unread 11-09-2013, 12:42 PM

Topaze is on a distinguished road

I found this website helpful :
http://www.safeguardingchildren.co.uk/
Unread 04-21-2014, 11:34 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

flashers is on a distinguished road

I am working on 1.4 and very please to come across this info VERY HELPFUL - Thank you ALL
Unread 08-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

Lilmearsy is on a distinguished road
Default Unit 3 1.4

Hey can anyone help me on this question.

explain when and why inquiries and serious case reviews are required and how the sharing of the findings informs practice?

The person that is helping me do my course has told me to put in about victoria climbié and baby p . But have no clue how to start it off can anyone help as have no clue and its really annoying me now