Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 06-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

tinajpatterson is on a distinguished road
Help SOS SC1 Identify barriers to effective communication.

sorry but i have a servere ear infection and can't think from the pain and dizziness i am feeling please could someone check this.

1 explain how people from different backgrounds may use and/or interpret communication methods in different ways
We can’t take for granted that everyone has the same view point or style of communication there are factors like culture some culture don’t use eye contact as we do and there approach is more formal. Family back ground can also play a large part in the way we communicate some children might use more than 1 language, others might have vibrant noisy homes while others have quiet homes this all affects children’s communication but later also affects the way that they communicate as adults .personality can have an affect on the way we communicate some children are more outgoing even when they have not developed language. A club to us means a night club but to someone else it has horrific meanings

3 identify barriers to effective communication
There are many barriers to effective communication as mentioned in outcome 1 back ground can become a barrier for communication we need to research and find out the best ways to communicate with people from other backgrounds. Children might not speak English as their first language or have no English so we need translaters or help from the parents in the form of words the child knows in their language , flash cards,
5 explain how to access support or services to enable individuals to communicate effectively
Some Speech and language services can be accessed in the setting like speech and language therapist which can help find ways to communicate with the child. They might give ideas for resources like makaton, picture exchange communication systems. Translation and interpretation in written communication the setting will use a translator which has been cleared by action for children of their list of people who are safe to work with children. A interpreter might be required for the child/ carers to communicate face to face this can also be a signer this person with come off the safe to work list again.this will have to be requested by the manager of the setting to action for children. advocacy services must be provided for children under the united nations convention on the rights for children. this is requested by the setting manager to the local authority safeguarding boards.

thank you t

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-07-2011, 07:56 AM

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Hi
Here's an example of what i put for,
Identify barriers to effective communication.

Hearing Impairment- A child/parent that has a hearing impairment in one or both ears.
Visual sight- A parent/child that has no visual sight or poor vision or sight in one eye.
Disability/learning difficulties- A child/parent that might have a condition called Autism that might stop them from communicating effectively and might need visual aids to help them communicate.
Learning and speech impediment- A child or parent that finds it hard to communicate through speech and gets frustrated because they are not understood. A Speech and Language Therapist might be able to help with strategies to help you overcome these barriers.
Assumption- Do not assume listen to the whole conversation and give yourself time to respond.
0ther languages (cultural backgrounds or English as an additional language)- you may need an interpreter or find other means of communicating with parents/children that do not speak English. We have a child and parents that only speak a little English so we liaise with an Auntie via a telephone call when there is a clear misunderstanding of anything that is said.
Using jargon- do not use jargon to communicate with others unless you are sure that they understand e.g. EYFS some parents/carers do not understand this. Has others who you know are aware of the certain jargon it might be useful to use e.g. i look after a child that has a disability so as i am constantly talking to her parents about the Speech and Language Therapist, i might use the words SALT because they would understand it, but saying that i personally do not use a lot of jargon because i would not like people using jargon with me and i think it is unprofessional to assume that they understand the jargon.
Different family background personality (if a parent is shy, lacks confidence or self esteem).
Lack of literacy skills.

don't know whether this helps.
i think this is such a wide and varied question that all answers are right and there can be more answers.

Sorri havent had it marked yet so don't know if what i have wrote is right!
Lynne

-------------------
Level 3 canadidate handbook
Unread 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM

thank you so much that has given me some good ideas and pointers

Thanks T
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:08 AM

Hi
Thats ok, glad i could help.
Think everyone has a different angle on questions and it's nice just to get some other ideas from others. like i say i think this is a question that you could have pages after pages of information but it's knowing when to stop writing.
Lynne
Unread 06-08-2011, 05:49 PM

Tell me about it my tutor says your writing too much I have tried to condense it
Unread 06-08-2011, 07:55 PM

Hi
you sound just the same as me. i research alot and then can't stop writing, sometimes i don't know when to stop but it's all good knowledge at the end of the day.
have you got much left to do?.
i have the eymp's and a few optional units left. I have allready some marked in eymp's but still need to do the written work but hopefully should be easier due to it all being early years work (probably wishfull thinking though).
Lynne
Unread 09-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

mrsaky is on a distinguished road

I'm also struggling with this one all i can find is business pages for people coming to this country grr
Unread 11-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

anita.thompson is on a distinguished road
Default level 3 cypw promote communication

Hi can anyone help me with this please

think of five situations where it would not be appropriate to use a questionaire find out communication preferences. What better way can you think of to find out preferences in these situations?