Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 09-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

sunflower2 is on a distinguished road
General question NVQ Level 3 - CYP Core 3.1 (std 2.3)

Hi
Wondering if anyone can lend a helping hand.

I'm working on Unit CYP Core 3.1 - Understand child and young person development - assessment criteria 2.3 'Explain how theories of development and frameworks to suppport development influence current practice'.

I have researched, till my mind feels scrambled, the main theorists e.g. Piaget, Skinner, Maslow etc but finding it difficult to explain how their theories work with the following:

1. Examples in the framework

2. Theories in practice today

Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated. Many thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-07-2011, 09:46 PM

tigi_2003 is on a distinguished road

2. Research and explain how current practice is influenced by Theories of development include;
Piaget – Intellectual,
Freud – psychoanalytic,
Maslow – Humanist,
Bandura – Social Learning,
Skinner – Operant Conditioning,
Watson – Behaviourist.

Also explain how you holistically use these theories to work together e.g. EYFS – Holistic approach to learning is known as social pedagogy

The theorist whose theory is physical development is Arnold Gesell. His theory is that most physical skills cannot be taught but is programmed in our genetics, which means we will learn different physical skills when our body is ready to. In our setting, we support this by encouraging children but not forcing them to develop a physical skill. We provide a soft, cushioned area so that children can develop themselves physically without risk of hurting themselves.

The theorist who theory is language development is B.F. Skinner. His theory is that children use cognitive behavior when understanding and giving communication. They will use trial and error to get the right words out until they succeed. He believes that children observe adults and other children for the correct way to communicate and repeat the actions they have seen until they get it right. We support this at nursery by speaking clearly and simply and nodding or praising a child for getting a word, sentence or request correct. This is to encourage them to use the correct terms when they wish to communicate.

The theorist whose theory is intellectual development is Lev Vygotsky. His theory is that children learn new skills by being guided by cares and parents. An example of this is when a parent sings ’pat-a-cake’ to their child and helps them clap their hands until the child can clap their hands themselves. He believes that every new scene or interaction is a learning experience to children that they must be guided through until they know how react correctly. staff supports this by giving support if children are having difficulty managing a particular task. We also give praise when children handle social interactions with good behavior to prove that we are happy and that what they have done is the correct way to behave.

The theorist whose theory is Social Development is Albert Bandura. His theory is that children learn by observing how the main people in their life behave and imitating them. People they will observe are parents/cares/siblings/friends/etc. A child will repeat the behavior they have seen if it is rewarded with attention or praise. Staff behave calmly and use quiet communication to settle any disagreements. Inappropriate behavior or language is not permitted, as children will copy this.

The theorist whose theory is Emotional Development is John Bowlby. His theory is that early relationships with caregivers play a major role in child development and will influence how children react to social interactions with other people. He believes that children who are securely attached to their main cares generally have high self esteem and will be able to enjoy intimate relationships where the ability to share feelings will develop and will seek out social support. We support this theory by easing children into nursery life slowly with visits that get longer and longer as the child becomes more comfortable. This is to prevent separation anxiety

The theorist whose theory is Behavioral Development is B.F. Skinner. His theory was that if the main cares in a child’s life implemented behavioral modifications, the children would quickly learn the correct way to behave. Staff support this by praising and rewarding good behavior and giving time out and no attention to naughty behavior. However, staffs are aware that our behavioral modifications will only work effectively if parents apply them at home as well

Hope this is of some help

----------------------------
From the 022 or CYP 3.1 CYPW unit

2.3. Theories of development including:
• Cognitive (e.g. Piaget)
• Psychoanalytic (e.g Freud)
• Humanist (e.g. Maslow)
• Social Learning (e.g.Bandura)
• Operant conditioning (e.g. Skinner)
• Behaviourist (e.g. Watson)

Frameworks to support development including
• Social pedagogy - search page

How children learn - theorists and development books
Download all unit pdfs in zipped files at the foot of this archived CWDC page
Level three handbook search on amazon

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 05-16-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: links added
Unread 09-15-2012, 11:14 AM

charliechip is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this I was understanding the theories but struggling to put it into practice, I always struggle in how much to put too, but to be fair they are only asking for an explanation, I was ready to write pages on all the theorists but thats not what they are asking,....I must read the question he ha

Thanks again

Kate
Unread 09-08-2011, 04:31 PM

sunflower2 is on a distinguished road

That's a great help..............Many thanks much appreciated
Unread 07-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Teresa 29 is on a distinguished road

HI SUNFLOWER - DOES THIS HELP? - To monitor children’s development, schools use formal testing - SATS as well as internal school tests which record a child’s academic attainment and intellectual development. As a teaching assistant I may be asked to observe a child whose development is causing concern and feedback to the teacher. I would always record information and feed back to parents about the outcome of our findings via the teacher. Observations of test results would be compared against the expected norms and milestones of developmental age statistics. I would use feedback from parents to then check with class teacher, who would discuss with others involved within school. They would look if any further action or interventions were required which I would implement as advised by teaching staff.
With an older child I would involve him or her (according to their age and understanding) in any assessment of their development - so recording their feelings wishes and views. I would observe them in different contexts (depending on which areas of their development I was looking at - for example social developments observe in playground, in group and individual settings).
I would also take into account their culture and any issues; a child or young person may have educational needs but these may not be creating delayed development, for example their first language may not be English, therefore their lack of understanding may lie there; perhaps they need language lessons for students of English as a foreign language.
Unread 09-23-2012, 01:03 PM

Teresa 29 is on a distinguished road

Pleasure. I've had lots of help on here, am glad to be able to help someone else
Unread 05-19-2015, 07:35 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

pauline a is on a distinguished road

This has helped me as well, thankyou. x
Unread 03-24-2016, 06:36 PM

Cfisher is on a distinguished road

Hi I'm new to silkysteps ,have not long started my level 3and I am stuck on unit 022 outcome 2.3,any help would be great plzzz
Unread 03-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi a warm welcome to the site. This criteria involves much reading, 'explain' means you already know. Do you know what teaching to expect from your course for this unit?

2.3 Explain how theories of development and framework to support development influence current practice

Quote from the Collins level 3 handbook page 140

How do theories about child development influence current practice

Some theories about child development were formulated many years ago and it is sometimes easy to discount them as being 'old fashioned' and no longer relevant in our modern world. However, it is important to remember that current practice is based on years of knowledge and experience, which helps us to understand children's learning, development and behaviour.

Research into different aspects of child development is an ongoing process and new information is emerging all the time. It is therefore important for anyone who works with children and young people to keep up to date with developments as they arise and to incorporate new ideas into their professional practice.

Many of the principles of our current early years' frameworks are based on sound theories about child development.
The approach known as *social pedagogy seeks to bring together theories and concepts from psychology, sociology and education to create a holistic way of working with children and young people.

*Social pedagogy: a framework for the holistic education and care of children and young people.

A few theorists you may learn about include..

Theories about children's cognitive and learning:

Jean Piaget
Lev Vygotsky
Jerome Bruner
Ivan Pavlov
Burrhus Skinner
Albert Bandura

Theories about children's social and emotional development:
John Bowlby
Abraham Maslow
Sigmund Freud
Erik Erikson

How Children Learn: From Montessori to Vygotsky - Educational Theories and Approaches Made Easy

Best wishes
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 04-03-2021, 09:59 PM

Humairamajeed is on a distinguished road

hi
please help me!!!!!!
2.2. Interact with children to meet individual language and communication needs.