Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 03-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

maxigirl is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Planning for child's interests?

Hi everyone,

can any of you kind people out there help me, I'm trying to simplyfy our planning system in my setting (playgroup) we have been trying to introduce the PLOD (possible lines of development) sheets but it's not working the other staff feel they havenit enough time or info to create 1 plod per child evey half term!

What do you all do?

would it be enough for us to use a sheet of paper where we note down the children's interests then plan some activities/recourses to link to them and futher learning? But how do i show/document this does it have be in every child's file? or on a generic sheet with the planning...

blimey im going round in circles with this one, I've devised a a4 sheet with the heading's

planning meeting ideas and thoughts.

then split it into categories - childrens interest's observed

Thoughts and ideas for activities/key person activities

would this cover it or do we need more eveidence?

Please help

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-14-2010, 08:55 PM

bumping up,

Anyone, any thoughts?:idea:
Unread 03-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Brandy is on a distinguished road

we have a planning board. staff observe childrens interests/needs, jot it on a post it and place it on the board, also they jot down any requests by the children.
I then put the activities in the planning sheet for the following week and keep the post its as evidence on a sheet of A4 in the planning folder.

(each keyworker writes a short learning journey for 1 child per week , we have a rota of the children so they all get 1 learning journey per term.) Any activities needed for these children is also put on post its and added to the planning.
our early years advisor was happy with this and so was ofsted.
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Kathie is on a distinguished road

I do weekly planning in a formal style but only fill in a couple of days, on a monday one of the planned activities is circle time where the children offer suggestions for things they would like to do based on the focus. These ideas are noted with their initials next to it on a4 and put on the planning board and slotted into the formal planning again with the childrens initials next to it.
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road

We do our planning daily then if a child says can i play with such and such we can put it out for the following day. Our topic is weekly and ideas go into a book then we choose one for the following week
Unread 03-16-2010, 02:31 PM

Hi thanks for the replies, so much information to take in!

Had a discussion yesterday with some of the other staff and we are going to try a list in the Kitchen where staff note down the child's interests from Ob's and general convesations etc with the children, some staff will do this better than others...

This will be up there for a 2 week period, we will then have aplanning meeting to add our activities/requests it for the children I do know that a 2 week period is still long a timescale, but their faces when i suggested weekly meetings

The problem is they havent had much input from the leader, we are handing over at the minute and i fully take over in july... she ready to retire and doesn't have a full grasp of the EYFS and a lot of issues that should have been dealt with when it came in have just been left and sweept under the carpet! (ive only worked here for 12 months)

I do feel like im the only one trying to change things but she's very supportive and says she was just overwhelmed by it all, and didn't know where to start...

So its onward and upwards....
Unread 04-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

skelts is on a distinguished road

Hiya i need help please. I need to learn to do planning for my unit 305 and i keep asking the manager where i am working if they can show me but they dont seem to be of any help. I would really greatful if anyone is able to try and explain it to me thanks.