Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 03-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

mummyvamp is on a distinguished road
Default think im in way over my head on objective observations :(

Hi
I have recently started a short course on observations and evaluations. Im only on the second question and am completely stuck. Please can someone give me ideas on some answers or any books/theories for thethese questions?

What is challenging about remaining objective when doing obsevations on young children?
How do objective observations support your practice?
How do objective observations support childrens learning and development?

Thanks in advance
mummyvamp
xx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, a warm welcome to the site. challenges include using the correct language definition of objective and knowing what to write down, not embellishing on what you see and hear, remaining impartial and not including any judgements/judgemental ideas about why you think children are behaving in particular ways.

Objective observations ought to support your practice by providing snap shot information, evidence, facts or statements about what's happened during an observed time frame and the specific language that children have used on that occasion.

Using the observation as a reference you can begin to know your individual children. See how they communicate, with who and where. You may be asked to omit children's full, identifying names. As an example of this in practice you may begin to notice where challenge or difficulty exists for a child and as a professional be able to deploy yourself to places in the setting so that it's easier to minimise interference (eg. needing to rush over to prevent the escalation of conflict) and be close enough to help with negotiation.

Observations support children's leaning and development by providing a record regarding personal interests and friendship groups, this would enable activities to be planned that enrich and expand on the setting's layout and children's experiences.

If you can get hold of a copy of either observation & planning handbook or Kathie Brodie's observation, assessment & planning book - links are to amazon.co.uk they'll help with research for this. Maybe ask your setting if they'd fund one for the staff library? Try not to feel too overwhelmed xx

Free - the purpose of planning and observation on practical preschool.co.uk

Hope this helps a little, best wishes
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 03-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

mummyvamp is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much that is amazing help. Im new to some of this as im only a volunteer at a children's centre and have nearly finished my NVQ 3. This little course is alot more in depth then i was expecting and i got myself in such a state trying to do it on my own. Thanks againg so much this site is a lifesaver. Thank you so muvh again
mummyvamp
xxx