Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 12-29-2007, 05:06 PM
happyfaze

Help SOS Nvq3 301 K3d175

hi there. i am new to this site but it have helped me so far but iam stuck on K3D175.
I know young childrens feelings can be confusing for children and adults and they cannot control them like MOST adults and we have to help them understand their own feelings but i am having a dead moment. please help as i am nearly at end of Unit 301.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-30-2007, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi and welcome to the site

This was touched on in a recent chat about K3D174 ~ Respecting individuality

K3D175 Why it is important for children to understand and respect other people’s feelings and how you can encourage and support this.

It's important to understand other people's feelings because that's the way we all have to live together !!

Another factor is in broadening the mind - learning that not everyone shares the same thoughts, views & opinions or indeed reponses can be quite alarming and unless ground work is done in knowing that it's ok to feel uncertain about things, it can be quite soul destroying to have the rug pulled out from under you, regardless of age !!

One example of a contrast question could be:

'Why can't I go to the park ... XX always does ?'
and then on the other hand XX comes to you and asks 'Why can't he/she go to the park !!?'

One child may feel angry at a parent/carer's decision not to allow them.
One may feel sad. One may be pleased .. as they didn't really want to go !

The other child may suddenly wonder why they are allowed to go when others aren't... it might not of occured to them there are reason's why they shouldn't or others can't !
They may feel happy about having the freedom to go there when they like or maybe boastful that they are allowed to do something someone else isn't .. which could be an opening for teasing .. they may possibly feel sad that the other child can't go & that they have to go on without them.

Supporting all these reasons & their feelings is basically being able to say it's ok !!

We all as parents and carers make decisions that are very individual to each of us .. teaching about fairness, and the reasons why decisions are made, even more so when they don't seem fair, need to be given so that they are understood !

Points to supporting an understanding of feelings could include:
  • Resolving differences/causes of concern as quickly as possible.
  • Answering questions with confidence - if an answer isn't known .. explain that and say you'll try to find someone who does know.
  • Ask questions that don't pry too deeply.
  • Show interest and be approachable.
  • Use language that everyone understands.
  • Make your intentions/ ideas for further actions clear.
  • Follow up on any 'verbal courses of action' that you gave.
Finally ..
  • Don't be concerned that you need to repeat yourself 600 zillion million times before anything makes sense .. to anyone lol
Helping to understand feelings:
and the very reasons that make someone individual

On a day to day level .. it's more about taking the time to listen, talk and discover !

Asking the Child why they feel the way they do and gently enquiring as to the reasons behind that.

Is a Child happy today because it's their Birthday tomorrow ?
Or do they come in and appear Sad because of it ?

Both scenarios warrant equal support in understanding the feelings involved as it may transpire the happy child is just thrilled they are finally recieving the toy they've waited a whole week for ... and the sad Child is devastated to of found out their nanna hasn't been able to come to the party as planned.

Encourage support from others by inviting them into the conversation. Give the children the opportunity to explain their feelings and reasons to each other .. and where appropriate encourage them all to ask each other questions.

On a slightly more contraversial note, themes and topics can help focus activities to larger reasons, although free flow seems to be a more relaxed and easy going approach - not sure what research is saying at the moment on the longer term implications of how 'embeded the learning aims of specific subjects could be in a 'themed V freeflow' workplace .. lol

Hth a bit .. please let us know how it goes ..
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 12-30-2007, 01:26 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Narnia is on a distinguished road

Phew Ruthie....nice lot of good information there....would you like to do my degree answers for me please???
Unread 12-30-2007, 10:51 AM
happyfaze

nvq3

thank you so much for your help. i think i was looking a bit too deep into the question. feel silly now. many thanks.:
Unread 12-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

happyfaze you're welcome for the above post, never sure how deep too deep is though lol ... what else were you looking at including in your answer?

& Narnia noooo. Are you doing the FD through the OU ? How's it going ?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 12-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Narnia is on a distinguished road

rotter!!! No, doing it at Uni, go in one day a week and am sometimes totally calm about it (usually when I'm asleep!) and at other times, I'm totally phased by it (all times when I'm not asleep!!)..............have to hand in another essay when I go back next week, plus do a 10 minute powerpoint presentation on a child with a dominant schema.................oh joy, really, oh joy!!
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

vlee18 is on a distinguished road
Smile

hi im strugglling what to write for the unit i seem to keep repeating everything!! im not asking for u to tell mewhat to write but a small explanation on what i could write!
Unread 11-23-2014, 09:16 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

layla03 is on a distinguished road

Please help me
how you encouraged children and young people to understand other people’s differences, diversity and individuality.