Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Preschool themes and topics > Popular early years themes and children's topics of interest > All about me

All about me A forum full of activities to support the theme of myself, ourselves, my life, growing up, my name, body, friends, family, likes and dislikes

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 09-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Default My Family - mums, dads, same and mixed *** families

Mums and Dads, Nans and Grandads, My family poster or collage & mark making activity sheet is now available from this section of the site.

Use to support same and mixed *** parents / famillies, their relationships and partnerships.

Link male and female/boy, girl/lad, lass/dude & dudette to encourage discussion that involves home.

Gay-Straight alliance on wikipedia

Gender awareness at around 3 - 5 years - source Developemnt milestones Warwickshire's CYPW

Early sexual awareness

For background information the Mermaids website is an informative read.

Gender Identity and gender development:
From gender categories

Quote:
• Children's developing understanding of gender can be described as a search for certainty.
• Young children make mistakes about gender illustrating their rigidity and their naive certainty regarding gender:

Johnny (age 41/2) I'm going to be an airplane builder when I grow up.
Jimmy (age 4) When I grow up, I'll be a mommy.
Johnny No, you can't be a mommy. You have to be a daddy.
Jimmy No, I'm going to be a mommy.
Johnny No, you're not a girl, you can't be a mommy.
Jimmy Yes, I can.

Source: Kohlberg, 1966, p. 95

• As children's knowledge of gender grows in complexity, basic biological knowledge is added to their social-cultural understanding.
• Research by Francis illustrating girls' ‘sensible-selfless’ and boys' ‘silly-selfish’ behaviour demonstrates how gender identities are constructed and maintained.
• Children's knowledge of gender in relation to their own identity and that of others develops both in terms of flexibility (in that they can accommodate diversity) and in reliability.
• Masculine and feminine identities are not fixed, partly because identities are multidimensional. Diversity arises through the existence of masculinities and femininities.
Lawrence Kohlberg on wikipedia
the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------