Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 09-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Care-Worker is on a distinguished road
Default Am I writing too much?

Hello I'm a psychology graduate that enrolled on a level-3 early years diploma yesterday. I'm doing the part-time 18 month course as a volunteer at a special needs nursery.

From what I've seen there seems to be so many different kinds/variations of this level-3 diploma. Basically I've started off my first module which is called 'Support healthy lifestyles for children through the provision of food and nutrition' and it asks me to define healthy eating and why it's important, evaluate local and national initiatives and finally describe food and drink requirements in relation to current frameworks.

I hope this is ringing some bells and mirrors what others are seeing in their syllabuses. Anyway I've done 2 and a half pages and I'm wondering if I've gone overboard? My tutor mentioned that some parts of course are literally only 6 lines and can be completed in 20 minutes...

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-09-2015, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi a warm welcome to the site. Yes many variations that go by the name level 3 xx

The framework, nutritional guidance materials and local initiatives will depend on your home nation eg. if you're volunteering in England the framework you'll need to relate requirements to is EYFS 2014.

Researching healthy lifestyles, food and drink via the framework, your setting's policies & procedures, information gained from a handbook, local and national initiatives will provide you with the knowledge you need to define & explain the importance.

Your nursery will be able to give you copies of their policies regarding the setting's provision for food and can let you know any local initiatives they're involved with.

National initiatives include:

The eat better, start better programme
The school's Fruit and Vegetable scheme
Feeding young imaginations
The Children's food campaign
Cool Milk
Change4Life
The nursery milk scheme
Eat Smart, Play Smart

For links to Wales, Scotland and NI publications please see this page - UK home nation framework

The EYE handbook on amazon.co.uk has supportive reading in unit 2

As far as how much to write, after researching your subject thoroughly you'll find you have the ability to respond to the criteria more directly and maybe use fewer words. However the breadth of research could also mean you have a lot of reading/sourcing to conduct so responses will be deeper, if you feel you've covered what's being asked check with your tutor.

Hth, very best wishes with your study
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 09-09-2015, 09:32 PM

Wow thank you very much. Yeah I have found a lot of initiatives. I've written about 800 words for 2 of them so far. I worried covering more than 3 would be deemed overkill.

I've not been inducted into the nursery yet but I'm unsure how much support I'll really get them as I'll only be a volunteer so won't be allowed to do a lot of things that non-volunteers can do etc.
Unread 09-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Hi, I'm sure they'll be happy to provide you with copies of their policies and procedures, the course relies on their content to help you understand what's expected of you in your role as a volunteer member of staff.

There's a list of verbs on this thread that might also help.
Evaluate Review evidence from different perspectives and come to a valid conclusion or reasoned judgement.

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 09-09-2015, 10:05 PM

Basically I'm a guy... I've been trying to get into nursery care for over 5 years but it seems where ever I go I just get treated like ****. I'll be the only guy in this nursery and the manager doesn't seem to like me that much. I basically got offered the place because the kind of 'regional manager' really likes me and obviously has more influence but she's resigning in 6 weeks time. When you're a volunteer placements can pull out at any time and leave you stranded with all your work and fees wasted. I hope I do end up finding someone mentor'ish when I do start, even if it's just one of the regular assistants.
Unread 09-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Administrator

You are the gender the sector aims to have more of and I'm truly sorry your experiences have so far been poor. There are quite a few online sites that offer local searches & that might secure you a more permanent position?

& once your DBS certificate arrives you can register with gov.uk to ensure future employers have access to view it - DBS update service

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 09-09-2015, 10:31 PM

I've been using local searches for years. All that does it help you find positions to apply for.

I already have 5x DBS certificates. 3 enhanced, 2 non-enhanced, 1 enhanced child and 1 enhanced adult on the update service. A DBS and 3 year career in the care service doesn't make you free from prejudice though unfortunately!

I have been wondering though... Does anyone know of any kind of central body a person in the Early Years sector can complain to if they are being bullied? I've whistleblown twice in the adult care sector and once in the childcare sector but all 3 were under the remit of the Care Quality Commission. I figured under 5's would be under the remit of Ofsted but from what I understand they're more geared towards protecting children rather than staff?

Sorry for the topic shift.. :/
Unread 09-09-2015, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Tried PCAW?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 09-09-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthierhyme View Post
Tried PCAW?
Wow that is definitely something I have never heard of! Although on the bright side the staff may be awesome.
Unread 09-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Administrator

lol I hope so :) in the days that Ofsted had their own website the guidance was transparently given to also seek advice from pcaw. Nowadays it's placed on page 6, 10 & 18 of the gov's Whistleblowing to ofsted publication. The whistleblowing hotline was a service that launched in response to the Vanessa George case and does concern itself more with safeguarding children.

Let us know how it goes
the cost of ad blockers