Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 02-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Contributor

donnamac is on a distinguished road
Default Course advice please!

First time poster
Hello,

Looking for some advice/guidance and thoughts from anybody who may have been in my situation or knows anyone in your setting who may have been in the same position.

I started working as a preschool assistant at a busy preschool 8 yrs ago. I was successful in the job application as I have a nursing background and had been a registered general nurse and registered sick children's nurse, at the time I completed a TA level course with OCR (level 2).

I was promoted to deputy after a couple of years and have now been supervisor for over 2 years after a restructure of staff. I have a manager above me.

I was taken on because of my 'equivalent' qualification (nursing). It was then considered a level 5. Now things have changed I am concerned that I shouldn't even be in ratios never mind being in charge!

There is SO much information out there that I am going around in circles! The cost of some of the courses seems high! I have been looking at distance learning courses as this would suit me better. Don't want to fall into the trap of doing a course that isn't full and relevant.

I was advised by our development teacher that I should be looking at level 4 (looking at the material this looks exactly what would enhance my practice), contacted one college who said that I can't do that as not done my level 3. I am happy to do my level 3 diploma (EYE) but development teacher felt it would no be beneficial to me as already putting it into practice (and advising our level 2 and 3 students who have placements with us)

Just want to do the right thing for me and my preschool.

Huge post! Sorry

Advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited by donnamac : 02-16-2015 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-24-2015, 03:34 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

your development teacher isn't an FE expert. you need to do your level 3. you can get an education loan to do it and i would STRONGLY suggest that as you only have experience with one setting you do it at a college and learn off other people too.
Unread 02-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Contributor

Thanks for your help. My gut feeling told me this, was just struggling to get good information.

I have contacted local college and am awaiting a response.

Would you advise I shouldn't be included in ratios from now on?

I do have an OCR level 2 TA qualification (just as a by the by)
Unread 02-24-2015, 09:52 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Possum is on a distinguished road

When I had unqualified staff I could count them in ratios - it was my decision. What I would advise is that you look at the statutory framework in the section on ratios to get the most up to date information about whether it's ok these days. I'm not that familiar with the finer points of that area. Has your Manager suggested that you shouldn't be counted in ratio?
I had a TA level 3 whose qualification wasn't full and relevant, for example, and I counted her in ratio but didn't give her a key group until she had completed her level 3, which she sped through.
Unread 02-24-2015, 10:13 PM
Contributor

Thank you for your advice. My manager hasn't suggested not being in ratios. We would struggle if I wasn't. I'll double check ratio section in framework and discuss it with her in the morning.
Unread 02-25-2015, 04:33 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

ofsted arent scary they are really helpful just give them a call and ask but the ratios section of the eyfs is easy to understand now