Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 08-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road
Default guidance needed please

Hi Everyone

need some guidance on this question.

4.1 Explain the importance of the environment in supporting speech, language and communication development.

do we just write about what is best practice or do we write about our setting?

This is how i started-

We should be very flexible when developing communication friendly spaces, these spaces should be made available to the children inside and outside. We should try and make it with a child’s perspective in mind. We should reduce noise and distractions to a minimum otherwise the children cannot concentrate, so a great deal of thought has to be put in before you place a book area, some settings place net curtain around this area for the sounds to be kept to a minimum, unfortunately in our setting we have to set up and pack away each day but we are looking in to getting telescopic poles that can be easily taken down for us to put net on to help the noise level to be reduced. The area should have sunlight for you to maximise the use of light and enable young babies or toddlers to see your face and how we use facial expressions this is particularly important if you have a child with an hearing impairment, at our setting the book area is placed in acorner with double windows reflecting good direct sunlight into the area. You should consider the impact of the colour to reflect on a child’s emotions, a good colour is yellow this colour is recognised faster than any other colour, evokes spontaneity, is joyful, optimistic, warm and signifies communication. A communicating area should not be over stimulating or cluttered. Unfortunately we do not have a say in the colour of the rooms as we are based in a community centre and they have just painted the rooms blue. We have a small but cosy area for the book area we have a trolley with different age/stage books on, the trolley also holds puppets and soft toys and we place big cushions and a couple of chairs around so this becomes a soft and cosy area, we place some books around the cushions so that the children realise that they can help themselves we also place some of the puppets and soft toys a on or around the cushions, this enables the area to be inviting for the children and quite often during the morning an adult is supporting this area.

do i now have to write about each area?
I havent finished yet but just wanted to see if i am on the right track

your guidance is appreciatted

Lynne

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Jelly15 is on a distinguished road

Sounds good to me Lynne. I have just started this unit so I am not quite there yet.

-----------------------------------------------------
Level 3 learner handbooks on amazon.co.uk
Search page for finding other relevant threads
Unread 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM

tinajpatterson is on a distinguished road

I also put about the quite corner how looking and reading of books help talking about puzzles the messy table getting children to talk about their work getting them to think about what they are going to say out door getting children to talk about the garden and what they see etc hope this helps
Love t
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:14 PM

wendy bob is on a distinguished road

hi Lynne,
looks good and i also added how musical instruments can help too x
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:19 PM

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Hi
Thankyou for all your kind replies will add a little extra where needed as you have all guided me to different communication methods

Thakyou for taking time and guiding me, i really appeaciatte it

Lynne