Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 06-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

cutiepie2010 is on a distinguished road
Default Eymp 3 4.3 Breast Milk Please Help

I know how to prepare breast milk which is to put it in sterlirle containters and then can be stored in the fridge up to 5 days at temp of 4oc and in the freezer for up to 2 wks when can then be defrosted in the fridge and given stright from the fridge... Breast milk needs to be swirled not shaken to ensure the milk is evenly distrubuted. What I need to know is how can the breask milk be warmed up in settings? bescause you are not alloweed to use hot water in a jug or a microwwvae so how can this be done or is it just simply giving it straight from the fridge?
please help me asap

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM

shellyjoe is on a distinguished road

surley if the jug of water was kept in the kitchen area until warmed this could be done. Obviously it would be unsafe to bring the jug of water into the area where the babies were kept. Is that your settings policy not to warm it in a jug?
I understand that microwaves are not the best to warm up milk as it leaves hot spots which could scald the child if not shaken properly. What is the reason why breast milk caanot be shaken. When i breast fed i shook it and was told to do this by my midwife and health visitor

have a look at these link

http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/BFNExpressing&Storing.pdf

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnan...ilk.aspx#close
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:48 PM

cutiepie2010 is on a distinguished road

Thanks i do nt work with babies i work with older children. this is for a discussion with my tutor when i last did this i said u woild warm in a jug but she said u woildnt so i need to.do this again but im not sure how uu would warm it
Unread 06-12-2012, 11:18 PM

shellyjoe is on a distinguished road

I would print off the links and show her, if a baby is not used to milk straight from the fridge they are more than likely refuse it. we would not be doing our job properly if we did not meet the needs of the individual baby, if they have it warmed then that is what we MUST do and by this we will be respecting the parents wishes. microwave heating is not recommended, so how else does she expect you to heat it???? and if the NHS advise it is ok i would go with them and not an assessor
Good luck with this but i would stick to your guns on heating in a jug that is my professional opinion and that of a mother
Let me know how you get on x