Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 04-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

emziebub88 is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Being Observed but duno what to do :(

Hi all, I am really worried about this one!! this is what my assessor has told me I need to do:

I would like you to organise a group discussion (Circle time) with the children in which they can share/discuss a transition of some sort which may be happening in their life, perhaps moving to a school/ moving room/new baby/house move.
It may be a good idea for you to encourage the children to bring in resources from home for this.
I would also on this visit like you to pan and prepare a creative activity of your choice which I will observe you carrying out.

I am sooooooooo worried and confused about what to dooooo!!!!

Any ideas????????????

Feel like just giving up now! I'm ok with doing assignments and stuff but hate bein observed

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

button1983 is on a distinguished road

you could ask the children to maybe bring photos of their new baby or new room etc. hope this helps

Sarah
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

LKP is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Perhaps read a story to the children about a transition - new baby sister/brother, new home etc?
Get them to bring a comfort item from home? They could share around and discuss the story (depending on the age of the children).

Then they could each create a picture or do a handprint to put together and make a collage? Symbolising a setting which is a home from home? This can link into the transition session.

Observations are the worst, but just remember this is what you want to do (hopefully anyway lol), think more about the children and less about the assessor
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:46 PM

Jo1988 is on a distinguished road

A good creative activity i did on observation was "foam play"

We got messy, and had one particular child who was not wanting to join in, so i slowly encouraged the child with lots of support and guidance. This covered quite a bit, and most importantly, the children LOVED it.
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, hugs xx the activity plannning sheet will help give some structure.

Observations whether performed by yourself or others are part & parcel of the job, try not to think of your assessor as a pair of judgememtal eyes looking over your shoulder, rather as a colleague that's coming to see you do what you do everyday in the setting only with a little additional planning for their visit.

If children are settled in your group and don't usually bring comforters from home maybe you could have a 'teddy & doll' day where favourite toys are invited to a picnic.

Have the circle time focus on the transition they make when leaving home to come to the setting ..

How do they get to the setting - walk or ride, car, taxi, bus, bike
Do they travel with friends, family, new siblings ..
What do they see on the way .. trees, squirrels, dogs, people, cars
How long is their journey.
What do they feel like when leaving home
How do they feel seeing the setting, their friends and the activities of the day
What do they like doing best at home and what is their most liked activity at the setting.

As part of the circle time and depending on your children could you organise a large sheet of paper to place in the centre? wherer 3 or 4 children at a time can mark out their house, the setting and a journey line between the two? Add yours home and travel line first if you feel it would help. This mark making is a creative activity in itself but if you'd like a separate one you could decorate paper plates for fruit & bread sticks to be eaten at the picnic - maintain hygiene by covering any decorated plates with plastic food wrap. Use crayons, pens, stick glue, glitter, scissors & pictures from food magazines as a collage. This opens up talk on healthy choices, food names, colours, descriptive textures and preferences.

I hope this helps, have a great visit xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:24 PM

Thanks everyone for your ideas, the children I will be observed with will be 4-5ish (preschool) i should have said that in my post really soz lol I am sooooooooo confused as to what to do with them!! I obviously need something where I can have the activity and the discussion in one! Thanks again for your suggestions, and if anyone has any others I'd be glad to hear them!! :)
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM

Just had a message from my assessor, apparently I've got to do the creative activity in the baby room where I work (3-18 months olds) so any ideas on what I cud do with them?? I duno I wana do something too do with spring and as the weathers getting better maybe something outdoors...Any suggestions?? For the discussion in preschool I was thinking about maybe bringing in a book about a new baby etc, getting them to bring in photos or something from home to do with their new sibling, moving house or going to school...How does this sound?? I'm sorry too keep goin on but Im always doubting myself! Im not as worried at seeing my assessor there, but more so at doing the actual task!!! :(
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:58 AM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

i would advise that unless you are a talented practitioner able to deal with any issues that are raised by a discussion about change and loss you must avoid it! they are not there to be experimented on, you should be disucussing this with your supervisor who will help you plan the session