Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 02-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Leighj is on a distinguished road
Default Unit 306 k3h262

Hi everyone

This is the last bit of knowledge that i need to cover for this unit. Nearly finished my level 3!!!!

I was wondering if anyone could help me?
Safe and effective practice underpinning the organisation, layout and planning of the environment for children both indoor and outdoor

Thanks
Leigh

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

nicolae is on a distinguished road

i did a drawing of the room layout and the outside play area pin pointing where everything is and why. i.e they toys are kept in the storage drawers to keep the room clean and tidy and prevent trips and falls etc
i said about risk assesments, what we do to keep the children us and the building safe ie lock windows and doors, signing in book, cameras recording inside and out, always changing nappies in pairs, never leaving children on their own, keeping to ratios. the list could go on and on.
then i included a example of a risk assesment.
hope this helps x
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

basia is on a distinguished road

4. How would you lay out a room taking into account safety and organization of the room’s equipment, materials and outdoor area?

The way in which the furniture is laid out affects the activities that can be carry out and even the mood of the children. A good room layout will allow the children to move from one area to another easily, while helping them to feel secure. Changing the room layout periodically can help to stimulate children’s interest in activities. When planning a room you have to consider that:
- doors and fire exits are unobstructed
- the indoor area remain secure to prevent children from slipping out unnoticed or unauthorized adults getting in
- children can access toys and equipment easily
- free-standing furniture cannot topple over on to children
- ‘messy’ activities are situated near washbasins and on suitable flooring
- You have one area where children can sit down or lie down
- Staff have good visibility so that they can supervise children easily
- You allow sufficient space around tables for children to move around safely
An important part of preparation is to lay out materials, equipment and toys attractively. Children will then be more interested in them.
Outdoor area should be used all year round. It can be used to promote physical exercise, but it can also be used to promote learning. You can put out tables, large-scale painting and marking area so that activities can be done outside. It is important to provide a layout where the children can be supervised carefully, according to their age and the activity that they are undertaking. It is also important to check equipment regularly to make sure it is safe for children to use and ensure all the gates are locked.