Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 06-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

wendy bob is on a distinguished road
Default abuse of a child unit 3.6 3.3a

hi guys i thought i had finished this unit got to answer 2 more questions any help would be great
analyse the potential tension between maintaining confidentaility with the need to disclose information where a child is suspected of
1, abuse
2, when it is suspected that a crime has been or may be comitted
thanks x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-25-2011, 05:27 PM

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Hi Wendy
Havent had it marked yet but this is what i wrote about the abuse

• Where abuse of a child or young person is suspected
All settings should have a designated person to deal with child protection issues. If you have concerns that a child is being abused it is our job to disclose this information to the designated/manager of the setting unless you think by disclosing the information will put the child/young person in further danger.
This can be very hard to work out so having colleagues to discuss this will help you come to a quick conclusion and more accurately. This can become very difficult if you feel that there is child/young person abuse issue and the designated/manager thinks that there isn’t. I think if you have a doubt then it is better to be safe than sorry, maybe monitor the child and gather more information but if the child is in significant danger then report it to the safeguarding board immediately.
Parents will have had a copy of the child protection policy which states that information regarding every child will be disclosed if it is deemed that any child is in significant harm/danger.
This gives us the right to report any kind of abuse to the safeguarding board without the parents/carers permission.
It is important to follow the right steps whilst reporting a case of abuse or a suspected case, we need to gather the correct information:

• When a child/young person discloses information to you. Do not promise to keep a secret. If the child/young person confides in us we cannot promise to keep it a secret because we will have to disclose the information given and this will make the child think that they cannot trust that person anymore, they trusted you in the first place to disclose the information. Also a main feature of sexual abuse is that the abuser asks the child to keep this a secret between them. If a child asks you to keep a secret age/stage appropriately you should give them a gentle explanation why you may not be able to keep their secret. For an older child they may decide to with hold the information so make it clear to them that they have different options such as the NSPCC, Childline, Social Services, with an explanation again age/stage appropriate of how they can help and what they do.

• This information needs to be shared with the designated person or manager in a private and confidential area of your setting. This information needs to be shared with the designated person immediately so that the child will not come to any more harm, this should be done in a confidential area so that the conversation is not over heard and no information is given to the abuser.
• Record the information that is given accurately and on the correct paperwork with drawings if needed (incident recording form). When a child discloses information to you, you should never cross examine them due to then getting confused in what they are saying and also without realising it you could be putting words into their head, so the child will use your words and not their own words. The information that should be recorded should be the child’s word. Do not ask question only write what the child has said if possible have a witness listening in.
• CAF (Common Assessment Framework). The CAF method is usually used at the very early stages to assess their needs or if you have a concern about a child. The CAF system enables multi agencies to work together gathering information from all aspects of the child’s/young person’s life. This is usually accessed via the internet when a child has been CAF assessed. This can give you current, correct and up to date information very quickly, this is updated very regular (when new information is available). Parents will have to give permission for a CAF assessment to take place.
• As practitioners we should also get support. As practitioners this can become very stressful and upsetting for us when we are involved in a case of suspected abuse or actual abuse, so it is important that we can talk to others about this, but because of strict confidentiality you must not talk to anyone who does not need to know. Your Supervisor /manager/colleagues can help support you but remember again this information is confidential so only talk to other professionals that you can legally confide in. Your manager/supervisor will put you in touch with an outside professional that you can talk things over with. This is usually a Social worker or a person from the NSPCC.

Hope it helps a little.

Have you had a luck on the crime bit because can't get my head around it and unsure what to write and last bit for that unit.
So annoying

Lynne
Unread 06-25-2011, 05:55 PM

hi Lynne thank you so much the info you have provided is brilliant and regarding the crime part i have no idea what to write if i find anything out you will be the first to know and again thank you x
Unread 06-25-2011, 06:14 PM

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Hi Wendy
your welcome.
Thanks for your help on the other things that you helped me with much appreciatted.

Do you think the crime bit could be to do with Fabricated or induced illnesses. think i'm clutching at straws.

I have my tutor coming in on monday so will ask him if i can't find out before. Will let you know if i find anything out.

Lynne
Unread 06-25-2011, 06:48 PM

hi Lynne i think its more to do with a child or young person committing a crime such as theft or something more serious im going to ask the headmaster on monday and will let you know x