Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 11-15-2008, 09:20 PM
pink_kitty

Default observations used for transitions help

i have a question in my cache course, although i understand what it means, i just cant give an example ...can anyone help x x x the question is:

Discuss how observations can be used to support children through periods of transition

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-16-2008, 05:52 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Air is on a distinguished road

Hi

Perhaps this study might point you in the right direction....

http://www.aare.edu.au/03pap/dun03188.pdf

xXx
Unread 11-16-2008, 02:06 PM
carla_weller

Default my answer to the same question

im doing the same question, this is what i wrote hope it helps!
Quote:
E7: Discuss how observations can be used to support children through periods of transition
I am going to look at the different transitions children have to go through and how observations can support children at each transition.

0-3 years – children may have transitions such as starting a nursery/new nursery. This is where observation s are essential. Practitioners can do observations of the children within their own homes. This way practitioners can get a general idea of the child’s interests, likes and dislikes, comfort items and general the child’s routine. It is also a good opportunity to get an idea of the child’s developmental stage and therefore find out any areas of concerns for when they start nursery i.e.) the child may have limited speech at age 2.

By the practitioner observing this they can get a idea of how the child prefers to communicate with their parent/guardian and come up with other communication strategies with the parents. This may especially be the case if the child’s first language is not English, the practitioner can go into the home and find out about the child’s language, and other alternative ways to communicate with the child.

4-7 years – children will have transitions such as starting school, or having first friendships if they didn’t attend a nursery. It may be beneficial for the nursery or the school to observe a child in order to find out if they require any additional support when they begin school. This may be due to a variety of reasons such as limited speech, slower development in curriculum areas, behavioural difficulties etc. If the assistance required is established before the child begins the new school the resources, staff, activities will be ready for when the child starts and can therefore commence immediately to help the child feel secure from the early stages. Similarly to this if a child has a disability that requires extra support i.e.) a wheelchair user, an observation on the child to find out their level of mobility for example would be essential, this means that the school can be adapted accordingly before the child starts the new school. This way there will be no complications when the child arrives for their first day as the adaption’s can already be made in advance.

Children at this age will also need to feel as though they will have friends when they go to their new setting as friendships become important, introducing children to other children who will get on well is essential, a way of ensuring these bonds occur could be by observing the child in their current setting. The practitioner can get an idea of the child’s personality, who their current friends are and therefore match children up who have similar personalities on their first day. Ie) a visit to a nursery finds a child very shy and difficult to fit in, it would be beneficial to that child if they are paired up with someone who is also quite shy on their first day at school rather than someone who is extremely boisterous. It will also be beneficial at this age before they start primary school for the new school to observe the child to find out their developmental stage and what the child knows, understands and can do. If this occurs the new school can provide activities and resources that are at the right level for the child to help them fit in smoothly. If the activities set were too difficult or too easy this will not benefit their self esteem and particularly if the work is too hard they will feel uncomfortable in their new environment.

8-12 years – children will have transitions such as starting secondary school. Either the primary or secondary school could observer the child to find out what existing friendship groups are there, this will be beneficial to ensure that when the children start secondary school they are put into classes/forms with at least one individual that they were friends with at primary school. This will help them to feel more confident when starting secondary school if they feel as though they are going to school with a friend. Observations of children who have known behavioural difficulties may be beneficial at this age, if the new secondary school can observe how the child behaves in their current setting and the strategies that are working well for the current school, the secondary school can then also apply these when the child starts. This will ensure there is consistency and a routine for the child that is similar, this will prevent the behaviour from becoming worse and lose any progress the primary schools may have already made.

13-16 years – children will have transitions such as going into a career or higher education and also starting puberty. At this point it may be beneficial to observe the children in vocational work placements or within classes, this would be helpful knowledge to pass onto the child about their skills and competence in those areas. This may then help them to decide what career path or lessons to take when they enter higher education. Ie) an observation of a child in their lessons shows high interest and involvement in art and graphics, this may then assist the child in helping them to choose these classes when the go into higher education.
*Copyright of the quoted text in this post belongs to member ID carla_weller©

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 11-16-2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: *Added copyright notice.
Unread 01-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

yakidodo is on a distinguished road

It's helped me..Thankyou.
Unread 01-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

jstar is on a distinguished road

Wow, what a helpful post! Am nearing the end of my nvq3 and tying up all the loose ends is causing my brain to have difficulty getting ideas. Thanks
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:54 PM
RosinaBarreiros

Thank you so much! This helped me fill in the gaps and eliminate things I wrote about which were not relevant. Great post!
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

scruffy68 is on a distinguished road

This has been brilliant thanks:) Just a couple of bits & pieces to fill in & i've had writer's block.
Unread 04-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

aaronsmum is on a distinguished road

Help ive got to plan for an observation on transitions in a childminding setting with chidren aged 2 and 5? mainly the 2 year old, hints ive been given are going to school, babies mummies and daddies? Havent got a single clue!!! nearly finished all written struggling with the practical!!! HELP PLease
Unread 05-26-2014, 04:29 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Sofia#1 is on a distinguished road

this link can help:
www.educationscotland.gov.uk/images/11transitions_tcm4-637895.pdf