Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 01-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

struggling75 is on a distinguished road
Default Support learners with communication and interaction needs

Can anyone please help me? I am doing an optional unit - Support learners with communication and interaction needs and am stuck on one question - Explain the interaction between delayed language acquisition, cognitive development and sensory deficit.

Thank you for any help!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Nicolag2k4 is on a distinguished road

I need help with this aswell i wrote a page about delayed language, cognitive development and sensory deficit my tutor said this was correct but i have to say how they are linked together i am struggling what to write to link them. Any help would be great?
Unread 02-17-2014, 02:30 PM

pennytereser is on a distinguished road
Default support learners with communication and interaction needs

Hi i would really thankful if anyone can help me with unit support learners communication and interaction needs

1.2 Explain the differences between normal patterns of communication and the specific or more unusual patterns of communication
demonstrated by learners with significant developmental delay, impairment or those having some form of communication or language
disorder

1.3 Explain the interaction between delayed language acquisition, cognitive development and sensory deficit

1.5 Summarise the individual plans of learners with communication and interaction needs with whom they work

i need to finish my STLS course by the 10 of march and this is the one of the last unit i have left.
like i said i would be really really really really grateful for some help
thank you
Unread 02-17-2014, 02:51 PM

Nicolag2k4 is on a distinguished road

1.5 i work in a school where all children have disabilities i got one of the child's individual education plan from school and edited it so you couldn't see there name. On the plan it had things like, speech and language therapist had applied to it for example () to be able to say 10 words. For () to communicate with peers through hand gestures. Depends what kind of disabilities the child has at your setting? With whom they work means people like a speech and language therapist to set plans, teachers to adapt the plan and assistants to feedback how well the child is doing to meet targets. So basically ask a teacher for an individual plan on a child and that covers the question.

1.2 i done a list of normal patterns of communication in my setting eg. Can have Conversations. Ability to string sentences together. Unusual patterns wrote things like difficulty paying attention. Trouble remembering ect. Then i wrote a long paragraph about individual children in my setting who has communication needs and how you could tell they had them

1.3 busy doing this!
Unread 02-17-2014, 03:03 PM

pennytereser is on a distinguished road

thank you that's very helpful i know now where to go with this thanks again
Unread 04-25-2016, 09:26 AM

Zerocool is on a distinguished road

Here is 1.1 and 1.2 i will upload 1.3 later

hope this helps

Children are at different levels and learn in different ways at different speeds. In this way children need to be assessed in order to develop their speech and language and communication skills. They may have a greater understanding of language than they do at expressing themselves verbally, or they might be able to read eloquently but have no real understanding or context of what they are studying. ‘Jolly Phonics’ is one example of this, as it may help you to read more fluently, but doesn’t teach you common grammatical rules like - ‘silent pronunciations’ such as ‘b’ in plumber or understanding and reflecting on the text in question. This is especially apparent in the primary school I attend, as 90 per cent of the children I am responsible for have English as a second language, or not the primary language at home. Knowing little English does not mean a lack of potential to learn. A child may be put in a lower set because of their lower grades in English, but this could prevent them from achieving what they're capable of. By detecting these factors early enough a child’s learning can be tailored so that effective learning is achieved and this can make a real difference, as often communication disorders can make children feel isolated from their social and educational surroundings.

Normal patterns of communication exist predominantly within language and speech; but the conveying of ideas, thoughts or emotions can be through the use of gestures, body positions or facial expressions (a tight jaw and a clenched fist can mean one thing, whilst a smile and a wink can mean another). In the case of learners with ‘speech, language and educational needs’ (SLCN), quite often these children were singled out or removed from the main classroom for ‘basic studies’. These days, complex individual learning/educational plans are instigated from an early age and focus on the secondary effects of their core language problem. There are many variants of this type of learning for example:-
Dyslexia – A disorder that causes difficulty in learning to read or interpret words, letters, and other symbols, but does not affect general intelligence. Dyslexia is a neurological and quite often genetic condition, but it is not a sign of low intelligence or laziness and even though specific colour lenses can help, it is not due to poor eye-sight either.
Behavioural, Emotional and Social Difficulties (BESD) – Also known as SEBD or ESD is an umbrella term used to describe children and young people with a range of complex difficulties. This can materialize in many different ways and through many terminologies like ADD or ADHD, but certainly includes anyone who suffers from immature social skills, hyperactivity, disruptive or disturbing nature, or a withdrawn/ isolated personality.
Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC) – This can include Autism, Asperger syndrome, pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS) and Childhood disintegrative disorder. All of these result in difficulties or differences in communication, social interaction, thinking and in sensitivity of all the senses. The way autism impacts on each individual is unique, no two people are exactly the same. There is no cure for any of these syndromes as they are all genetic and sources show that 1 in 100 people are in the autistic spectrum.
Unread 04-25-2016, 11:12 AM

Zerocool is on a distinguished road

As promised.................

Every child develops at a completely different rate in a very individual way, some of this can be tailored or manipulated dependent on the child’s needs and learning preferences. Oral communication is a two-stage process, the first, is to encode and understand the message and translate into words or sentences that gain the required meaning. The second is to use own knowledge of language to then articulate into cohesive oral based speech. However, the understanding of language and the use of articulate speech are not mutually exclusive. In the case of a child who has delayed language acquisition (DLA) or delayed 2nd language acquisition, they may understand almost everything that is being said, taught or relayed but may have a slower grasp of reading. This leads onto cognitive development, it was once believed that very young children lacked the ability to think or form complex ideas until they learned language. It is now known that babies are aware of their surroundings and interested in exploration from the time they are born. From birth, babies begin to actively learn, gathering, sorting, and processing information from around them, using the data to develop perception and thinking skills. Just like ‘DLA’ young infants understand when they have a need but don’t know how to convey/ communicate what they want. There are many classes and workshops for parents and toddlers to learn ‘makaton’ or sign-language so there is more effective and less frustrating communication in the early years. Finally, Sensory Deficit or Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) is probably the harshest and most sensitive of the communicative device disorders. The brain has trouble receiving, processing and responding to any external communication or stimuli. In complex cases some people can be oversensitive to their surroundings. Common sounds and smells can cause pain or the brush of a shirt can cause chaffing to the skin. More commonly there is a defect in the function of one or more senses. This can mean that the individual may be uncoordinated, constantly bumping into things, are unaware of where their limbs are in relation to space, can be difficult to play and communicate effectively. The lines between these different difficulties can be often blurred but all need recognising and promoting for all Adults, young people and children to develop and communicate effectively in every day situations.