Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 04-20-2015, 09:24 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Sooty1977 is on a distinguished road
Default Level 3 CACHE GCSE Maths question

Hi, a member of staff is leaving our local Playschool and my wife has been asked if she would like to start working there. All fine however my wife, who has 9 GCSEs from A to C including English and Science, went to University and had a career in finance before becoming a mum only has a D in Maths GCSE which she took in 1994.
Her Playschool have asked her to start taking the level 3 Diploma but I am reading she needs the Maths GCSE before she can start this, because she would need bursary funding to take the course. This changed last September from what I can see.
I take it she can work at the Playschool but she will also have to take her Maths GCSE next year, then start her level 3 diploma once she has passed her GCSE? Seems very long winded given her finance experience, considering she will be working with 2 to 4 year olds. Is there another course she could do instead which doesn't need Maths GCSE? It would be hard for her to take the GCSE it given it has been 21 years since she last took it and being a mum of two she's manic enough during the day and evenings as it is, and given her Financial experience dealing with manual calculations.
I'm new to this industry and trying to help her so any advice would be great, thank you.....

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-21-2015, 04:55 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

this is right. unfortunately her skills, experience and other qualifications matter not one jot as according to Mr Gove who bought the law in nothing is more important than a GCSE. she will not get any work in ratio or any course at l3 without it. unless she can pay for her course herself in which case she can do the gcse within 3 years BUT she still wont be fully qualified until it is done. she could always just register to do it somewhere this summer and see whether she passes by a fluke! i have a few doing that
Unread 04-21-2015, 09:08 PM

Hi Tutu
Thanks for your reply. That's what I thought. The guy is a bit of a fool, quite obviously bringing this out without thinking of the full implications for older learners who may actually have stacks of experience. It should be done on an assessment basis, no doubt at all, particularly for tokes with excellent maths skills but perhaps didn't get the GCSE or O Level pass back in the day. Crazy stuff, they obviously assumed everyone wanting to take l3 were under 20 years of age. Madness, not thought through at all.
Unread 04-21-2015, 09:10 PM

Tokes should read folks by the way! Predicta text for you!
Unread 04-22-2015, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Back in the day was very nearly just that! Fortunately overturned, the requirements for the new EYE course had gone so far as to put an expiry date on GCSEs accepting only learners with gcse qualifications that had been gained within the past five years.

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nurser...#disqus_thread

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nurser...ment-nightmare

http://allanpresland.com/2014/12/10/...ouble/#more-47

Elections soon, with his replacement's timely swap, notice how quiet Mr Gove's been of late.

Pass on best wishes to your wife & a warm welcome to the site
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 05-05-2015, 09:37 PM

Thanks again for your reply, I live in quite a staunch Tory area, quite affluent, and yet every teacher I know is voting for other parties, due to the fiddling and ridiculous decisions made recently and the lack of common sense involved. Sheer madness.