Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 09-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

jerseycow is on a distinguished road
Default inclusive practice

I have been given the All of Us inclusion checklist and have to describe how my setting meets each one and if/how it could improve..I have managed 11 but 'All practitioners are aware that attitudes, environments, structures and policies need attention in order that no child is disadvantaged' has me stumped! I know we do it but after 11 others and finishing my child study today I think my brain has melted!! can anyone give me a little pointer to kick start it please?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseycow View Post
I have been given the All of Us inclusion checklist and have to describe how my setting meets each one and if/how it could improve..I have managed 11 but 'All practitioners are aware that attitudes, environments, structures and policies need attention in order that no child is disadvantaged' has me stumped! I know we do it but after 11 others and finishing my child study today I think my brain has melted!! can anyone give me a little pointer to kick start it please?
It may help to go down your checklist with each of the areas you have written i.e.
boy - attitudes - do all staff have positive attitudes towards boys e.g. a practitoner takes 4 children into the garden area to sow some seeds - is the practitioner inclusive in her practice when deciding which children are chosen or do they have a bias/unfair attitude towards boys and think they are too boisterous/noisy etc for the particular activity? How do you ensure staff have a positive attitude about boys?

boys - environments - are you catering for boys- often their needs (can be) different from girls and they like space for physical play - has the setting thought about this?

boys - structures - some boys prefer not to have too much of a structured defined 'play' and like to roam/move freely in super hero costumes and props, often boys like to build and construct rather than sitting down and 'drawing/writing', how are you going to include and encourage them to mark make? - how are they catered for/included in mark making or are they just 'forgotten about? Do you take mark making to the activities they enjoy to include them? So that they are provided for?

boys- policies - what is your policy on play i.e. curriculum or outdoor play etc? Are boys included when policies/procedures are drawn up?

The example I've given does not necessarily have to be the correct answer to your question, but is just to suggest if you think of everyone that should be included - gender, culture, religion, home environment, class structure, special needs, disability, interests and individuality of children - then answer the question you've given against attitude/environment/structure/policies etc.

Then once you've thought of how practitoners may be treating children due to their own attitudes,own upbringing, education etc, how they should be treating/including them, write of how your setting is inclusive and how your setting ensures children are included.

So if you have a practitioner that has only three very quiet daughters (who all like to sew) - and thinks boys are noisy, boisterous, messy and too much like hard work - how are you going to deal with practitioner that?

Perhaps you may answer by writing of your recruitment policies - you recruit well, you train well, you have staff meetings, you attend courses, you watch out to ensure that boys are included and not discriminated against, and how your setting does not tolerate attitude/behaviour such as this and what the setting would do if this was happening etc

Is your setting accepting of all children and their families, do you reflect upon your practice, tackle difficult issues if it is apparent that the setting or an individual (staff or parent) is not inclusive and discriminating?
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

jerseycow is on a distinguished road

wow thank you, thats much more than i was expecting
Unread 05-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Topaze is on a distinguished road

I think this may help :
http://www.naldic.org.uk/Resources/N..._inclusion.pdf