Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 03-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

jane12 is on a distinguished road
Default formative and summative assessment

can someone help i am having problems starting 303.2

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

lucylocket78 is on a distinguished road

what exactly are you stuck on?? are you working through your pc's or ke's??
Unread 03-07-2011, 07:25 PM

trying to get the pc's and ke's started I have the information in my head but am finding it hard to put it into words I know that formative is a ongoing assessment and a summative is a writern report
Unread 03-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

lucylocket78 is on a distinguished road

all my pc's for that were covered in a visit by my assessor. She questioned me and watched me observe my target child. She questioned me about relevant info from parents/carers, asked about our childrens learning journeys. has she set you work or questions to do to cover these??
Unread 03-08-2011, 06:31 PM

she has just givern me the sheets with all pc's and ke's to work from. I think my proble is I am getting to old to do this now it must be one of the draw backs being a mature student
Unread 03-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road
Default Healthy, Safe & Secure Environment for Children

is this to maintain a healthy, safe and secure environment for children?

If so, start with your policies i.e. your health, safety, risk assessment, outing policy etc -
read those to see what you will to do maintain a health, safe and secure environment
then look at the procedures you will follow to put the policy into place.

Some policies are mandatory - such as adult-child ratio depending on a child's age i.e. how are you going to ensure that you do this? - by ensuring enough staff are employed, cover for training, sickness, emergency or holiday. You can say how you ensure that how you all work in unison, i.e. you don't wander off out of the room just because you feel like it, but if you have to help a child to the toilet you tell your colleagues etc - always maintaining safety routines for the children.

Other policies may be unique to your setting, your setting may be on a first floor, so this will be reflected in your own policies and procedures - your fire drill, risk assessment and safety routine will be different - how are you going to keep the children safe with those stairs?
how are you going to have parents that have faith in you to look after their child safely?
Good policies, good procedures, training, meetings, high locks so children can't wander off and fall downstairs? If this is your setting - you will know what you do - write it down for your assessor, so she knows, you know what to do.

Go down each section, break it up, take your time, look at your policy and procedure and write it up. You are (or should) be thinking of children's safety all the time, when the children go to the toilets - how do you encourage them to learn to look after their own hygiene to ensure that they are safe and healthy - not picking up threadworms after going to the toilet? - you provide either soap - bar or liquid. Ofsted do not state that you have to use anti- baterial, because there is a debate that it is being used too widely, running water and washing thoroughly, is recommended. Use paper towels/hand drier not cloth towels which harbout germs.

If you are going on an outing - is the ratio still the same? or do you have extra bodies including inviting parents - are they CRB'd?. If you are in charge of 8 three year olds and they all run off, that safety element has disappeared.

When you arrive at work - what do you check? do you unlock fire doors? make sure the toilets/kitchen is cleaned? What are your routines? - these routines will (or should match your policy) if not, have you changed something for the better? if so, this policy needs to be reviewed and updated - that is another way of ensuring you are doing your job properly - you review and update.

Do you have contracts/policies/procedures if children are collected by someone else? if so, what do you do? why do you do this? how do you check they are who they say they are?

Do you have a medication policy? What happens if you need to administer medication? what's your procedure? why do you have one? Would you give tham half a bottle or just what the Doctor/hospital has prescribed for them? With Diabetic, coeliacs, astmatics etc it is dangerous to be given the wrong medication or an incorrect dosage.

When the children go outside to play - how do you keep them safe? and how do you allow them to have fun and learn to manage risk? Do you have a climbing frame standing on those 'spongy' slabs which is high enough for them, but 'low enough' if a child falls onto the slabs? was this climbing frame vought by chance- or did you take safety into account when buying it? Do you check and maintain toys and euipment? etc etc

There are lots of other areas - all needing you to ensure a healthy, safe and secure environment for children, too numerous to mention here, but hopefully has given you a start.

I don't know what your criteria is, but if it is to do with the heading I think it is, go down your policies, procedures - you should know what you do, if you are unsure on any of the policies/procedures or you don't understand them, ask your manager.
I hope this helps.

ps. You are not too old, just look at one knowledge/question/satement at a time - don't look and think "it's 3 pages long", just work through it bit by bit.
Unread 03-08-2011, 08:43 PM

Heidi thank very much for all your help and words of encouragement. the unit i am haveing problems with is 303.2 i keep trying to do one p.c but what i think i am typing when read back sound like a foriegn language. but i wont give up will keep trying.
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Jane,
I am so sorry, the above is for 302.2 -not 303.2 if you haven't done - save it!

If you write one or two questions out in full - it gives me a clue - otherwise, I sometimes look on a website for a unit someone is asking help for - and I've typed in the wrong number!

Sorry.
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:55 PM

Default 303.2 Asses Development & Reflect upon Implications for Practice

Correct unit I hope!

formative ans summative assessments - how do you form and process your findings to help a child's development?

How do you do observations? what methods do you use?
Do you use a mixture of narrative, photgraphic, event etc? (whatever your setting does or calls them)

How do you ensure they are reliable? - by writing down only what you see or hear - not what you thought you saw or heard. After the observation - if it was at the mark making table, no good saying or asking someone - Did they use their left, right or both hands?

Do you use colleagues to discuss and share i.e. they may have a different take on something, they may have a better idea such as
'John isn't keen on mark making, but he loves playing with the garge and cars, perhaps we can place some clipboards with paper and pencils to encourage John to write out the bills, different sized tyres to be order etc, perhaps we could provide props for them to make a reception, add some garage leaflets. cash register etc'.

Chatting with colleagues/key worker/person or parents (or the child ) will help you with fresh ideas that will help them develop in the way they wish to. Perhaps they have a particular shema and like to transport, envelop etc.

What do you do to make sure everyone knows where 'john' is, what next steps are planned for him, what he would like?
You observe, record,monitor, observe, review etc You might have a planning wheel -showing a cyclical process of what you do. You could include this with your work.

How do you share with parents/children - parents - show them some work, profile, have open mornings/afternoons/evenings, email, write, telephone and talk to them at opening/closing time or maybe an appointment if needed.
Ask them if they would like to contribute to their child's profile/folder.

Do not 'force' parents to contribute.. A childminder was very upset when she told me a parent said if she sent her child's profile home once more, she was moving her child. She was worn out and did not need homework herself. She asked me what she should do -I said listen to the parent and change her methods to suit the parent.

Children - learning journey, looking through photgraph albums and recalling activities etc, asking them what they like to do/play etc

refer concerns - who to - senco - iep - early years action - if more help needed - refer to health visitor and/or area senco (depending what it is i.e.speech, hearing or development not progressing). The health visitor or area senco may then get other agencies on board.

Reflect upon your assessments of children's developments and identify implications for practice-
So what have you learnt from your assessments? - how may they impact on your practice?
After referring a child, they are assessed as being deaf, autistic, a diabetic - are you trained sufficiently?
Does the child need a one-to-one helper? etc
what other implications could you have if a child could not walk (and you thought they were just a late developer as they'd been at your nursery from 1 years old? - you may have to widen places for wheelchair access and think how you are going to provide learning opportunities for that child.
What implication may an observation/assessment have for you and your setting?

I hope this gets you started.