Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 12-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

HG1984 is on a distinguished road
Default Unit 065 - PLease Help :)

Please help!

I've been given a worksheet with 12 questions and told pages 243-245 would help with these. I'm stuck on 4 questions though and was wondering if someone knows if I will find the answers in the book I have (Level 3 Diploma CYPW). The nook is green and has a spinning top on the cover.

The questions are;

7. How can questioning promote and extend children's thinking and communication?

8. How can questioning promote and extend children's curiosity?

9. How can questioning promote and extend children's problem solving and investigation?

12. Explain the ways in which adults can effectively support and extend the speech, language and communication development of children during early years.

Any guidance would be great.

Thank you!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-30-2013, 04:17 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

i would have thought at level 3 the answers could be found in your head! this isn't hard and what you do every day at practice
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

HG1984 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
i would have thought at level 3 the answers could be found in your head! this isn't hard and what you do every day at practice
How about you take you head out of your backside and consider people are not in the situation that you think they might be.

I thought this site was for supporting people not thinking you're better than others and insulting them!!!!
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Jo1988 is on a distinguished road

Hi HG1984.

Think about open ended and closed ended questions and how both of these kind of questions can help support children with their development and learning.

Open ended questions can support children's language and development and can stimulate their vocabulary. Its important to use a wide range of open ended questions because this requires the children to have to think about what has been said and to then give their answer fully rather than closed end questions where the answer is just a yes or no.

Open ended question example: Adult-How did you make that dolly?
Child- I stuck the arms and legs together with glue.

Closed ended question example: Adult- Did you make that yourself?
Child- Yes.

12. Explain the ways in which adults can effectively support and extend the speech, language and communication development of children during early years.

When interacting with and providing stimulating environments for children it’s important that we as adults support their speech, language and communication development and help to extend these. Communication is a critical part of children’s speech and language development, so reading early to children and encouraging them to engage with books and reading can help support them. Before young children attend school they must learn how to play, talk, listen, understand and attend. Children can benefit from a variety of activities and play opportunities to develop their early communication this can be done from home, nursery and play environments in relation to their social skills, development of play and comprehensive or expressive language skills. There are plenty of tools to help support parents to interact and communicate with their child including websites such as play talk and read, and websites can help parents understand their Childs development milestones and skills. At the setting staff can help support children’s speech language and communication skills by being aware of simplifying the language of which we use in terms of vocabulary, sentence, length and complexity when compared to speaking to older children and adults. It helps to use symbols, gestures and body language whenever appropriate. Activities that develop awareness of rhyme and rhythm should always be available to support children in learning something new. When talking to children you should listen to them and allow time for them to answer and you should always look at them and get down to their level to show you are listening. When playing and talking with children ask more open ended questions rather than closed ended questions with close ended questions you’re more likely to only get answers resulting in yes, no or nodding and shaking, with open ended questions the answer should be more in depth for example asking questions such as what is happening, what are you doing etc... When commenting back to the child this then broadens the language that they are hearing and it encourages them to chat and play giving them plenty of time to talk and also letting the children finish what they have to say. Providing tools such as microphones, tape recorders and karaoke machines will also help encourage children to expand their language. Singing, dancing and mark making opportunities should also be available allowing the children to express and communicate in a variety of ways. It’s important to allow time for children to have social interaction and activities that encourage this such as circle time, role play and games that involve taking it in turns and sharing this allows children to practise their communicate, language and speech skills when interacting with peers. Repeating familiar objects and words will make children pick up on these words and understand them, they may then start repeating the words back to you once they get an understanding of the word and what it means.

I dont have the book you have but I hope this helps you understand a bit more. :)