Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 09-30-2016, 08:47 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Salohalley is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Tda 2.8 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4

I'm sorry I'm new and am struggling with this. Our tutor gave us a list of all the health and saftey acts. She wants us to describe each policy and how it links to the setting. I've spent 8 hours on this and still keep rewriting it!!

I've only done one day at a school so am not aware with there procedures there. I have wrote all the health and saftey policies and then tried to link it but I can't seem to do it

For 1.2 I used the school website and put down their risk assessments fire assements etc in their health and saftey policy. Is this right?

For 1.3 I was going to use the school website again and explain The roles of headteachers, mid day assistants teachers and site managers
Roles is this right?

For 1.4 she has said to make a diagram but I'm not sure what to write!

Sorry for the essay here it's just hard to do this when I have no experience. I'm so sorry if this has been covered already. I think I may be overthinking things. I can't seem to keep it short. I've done 7 pages so far!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-30-2016, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, welcome to the site.

Your school's website will be useful but you'll also need to ask the class teacher or a specific mentor? about the policies and procedures. This means you might not be able to complete these criteria right now so plan ahead, so you know what to ask when you do go in xx

Do you have access to handbook for your course?

Page 121+ of this STL level 2 book looks at all the information you need to know - the free preview/look inside will help.

TDA 2.8 unit information
on OCR.org

1.1 Describe how current health and safety legislation, policies and procedures are implemented in the setting

Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 means individuals in an organisation need to:
report hazards
follow the school's safety policy
make sure that their actions do not harm themselves or others
use any safety equipment provided
ensure equipment is safe and appropriate

1.2 Describe how health and safety is monitored and maintained in the setting
Read page 125
and ask in your school who checks for risks and hazards

1.3 Describe how people in the setting are made aware of risks and hazards and encouraged to work safely

Who tells you about the risks and hazards in your setting/school?

1.4 Identify the lines of responsibility and reporting for health and safety in the setting

The chart you've been asked draw helps you understand all the people in your school, what their role is, and what their responsibilities are. For example you wouldn't tell a child that you just found a loose paving stone on the playground steps and expect them to be able to make it safe for all the other children. You would speak to the playground supervisor or your class teacher first? who in turn (this is the line of reporting) would inform the caretaker or another person responsible for outdoor safety, who would then speak to the deputy head, who would then speak to head of the school, who may then go on to tell the school governors.

You need to ask your school about their lines of reporting as they'll have their own way of doing it.

Best wishes
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-01-2016, 07:21 AM

Many thanks for your reply. I don't have that book we were advised to get the Louise burn ham one. 1.3 has the information on the school website. Well it has the headteachers responsibilities and teachers and governors. Can I not use that? I've been stressing all week about this and can't sleep lol
Unread 10-01-2016, 07:32 AM

Sorry just a quick one I have to draw the diagram with this question
Demonstrate how to identify potential hazards and deal with risks to health saftey and security of children and young people. My tutor said to right a diagram about who reports to who for hazards but that's not what it says in the Louise burnham book
Unread 10-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Hi, Louise Burnham co-wrote a few of the handbooks including the one I linked to :)

For 1.3 Does the school website tell you who speaks to everyone about risks and hazards? Does it tell you when they would do that and how? eg. Head teacher speaks daily during morning assembly, class teacher speaks daily before the first lesson.

If the website does provide that information remember to include the site address as the source in your credits/bibliography

The course handbook gives you information about a topic that could apply to any school in the whole country. Your tutor wants you to draw a diagram and write on it to show exactly what happens in your specific school - so that you know what to do if you ever come across a risk or hazard, and that you know how important it is to report risks and hazards. By drawing a diagram and writing on it you're showing you know who reports to who in the setting.

Best wishes
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-01-2016, 11:33 AM

I really appreciate your help. I'm wondering if I'm not clever enough for this course! I just can't seem to get my head around any of it. The website just gives the teachers etc responsibilities. There is a bit about risk assessments too. I think I have done all of this pretty wrong so I think I will hand it in and see if she can help
Unread 10-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Administrator

You are definitely clever enough xx talking about it online isn't the easiest way to overcome confusion. Please do talk to your tutor as soon as possible and also ask them to tell you what you need to ask for the next time you go into school.

Let us know how it goes x
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-01-2016, 11:01 PM

Thank you so much. I've been at home with my children for ten years so my brain is mush lol. I've not studied in years I wish I had done it when I was younger and not at 32. I've only been in the school for one day so far and have had two lessons at college. Our tutor has been on sick and we have had cover. The lesson is supposed to be three hours and we have had lessons only lasting an hour and a half. I don't think that is helping I do appreciate your help. It's nice to chat to someone who knows what they are talking about xxx